Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 12:56 PM

195 posts, read 141,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeylady View Post
And the difference between humid heat and dry heat is that you don't have to constantly think about hydrating with humid heat.
Where did you read that, on the internet? Simply false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeylady View Post
I spent 2 months during the height of summer in Tempe. The heat was difficult at times. It felt like I had put my whole body in the oven to roast. Seriously. And the difference between humid heat and dry heat is that you don't have to constantly think about hydrating with humid heat. I don't like drinking water so for me, it was hard to remember to drink water before I left the house, carry water with me at all times and drink it purposely during the day even if I didn't feel thirsty. One episode of heat exhaustion was all it took to remind me of drinking water all the time.
I don't think that's true, probably the other way around. In humid heat you are drenched in sweat, you know how much water you are losing. In the dry heat, sweat tends to evaporate as it cools your body, as a result you don't realize how much you have lost.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:31 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I don't think that's true, probably the other way around. In humid heat you are drenched in sweat, you know how much water you are losing. In the dry heat, sweat tends to evaporate as it cools your body, as a result you don't realize how much you have lost.
That's the whole point. You sweat more when it's hot & humid, which is your body's way of keeping you cool. When it's dry, sweat evaporates much quicker, so you don't get the warning sign as readily that your body is becoming overheated. This is why heat exhaustion is common here. Dry heat feels better than humid heat, but some people don't realize that dry heat can be more devastating when they don't take the proper precautions.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 PM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's the whole point. You sweat more when it's hot & humid, which is your body's way of keeping you cool. When it's dry, sweat evaporates much quicker, so you don't get the warning sign as readily that your body is becoming overheated. This is why heat exhaustion is common here. Dry heat feels better than humid heat, but some people don't realize that dry heat can be more devastating when they don't take the proper precautions.
Yup, exactly. Every summer, someone from back east or the Midwest heads up and try’s to climb Camelback mountain in 105 degree weather. They either need rescue or they die. If you want to hike in the desert, you must hydrate way before heading out. Drinking water at the trailhead is too late.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Yup, exactly. Every summer, someone from back east or the Midwest heads up and try’s to climb Camelback mountain in 105 degree weather. They either need rescue or they die. If you want to hike in the desert, you must hydrate way before heading out. Drinking water at the trailhead is too late.
Don't get me started on these stupid hikers. It's a huge pet peeve of mine! The way I see it, if they're going to do something which is extremely risky, foolish, and purely ignorant, they don't even deserve to be rescued. Too much valuable time is wasted trying to save those idiots when there are more critical emergencies to attend to. Let Social Darwinism be the rule on the hiking trails!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:01 AM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Don't get me started on these stupid hikers. It's a huge pet peeve of mine! The way I see it, if they're going to do something which is extremely risky, foolish, and purely ignorant, they don't even deserve to be rescued. Too much valuable time is wasted trying to save those idiots when there are more critical emergencies to attend to. Let Social Darwinism be the rule on the hiking trails!
I agree. Every. Freaking. Summer. Like the stupid driver law for crossing flooded roads, there should be a stupid hiker law!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:06 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,974,541 times
Many years ago I visited Phoenix from NYC in May and the heat in the sun was brutal. You could easily burn yourself on any objects in your car that were exposed to the sun through the windows. July should be a good test for you. I recall that in May it was "fry an egg on the sidewalk" hot in the sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Holly Oak View Post
So me and my family are considering a move to Phoenix. We were thinking of visiting in July to see how we hold up in the heat. I have lived in three places in my life. Washington D.C, Atlanta GA and York PA. Needless to say I'm very use to humid heat however dry heat is very foreign to me. I remember being in Sacramento right before Memorial Day and it was about 90 with 25% humidity. Didn't feel too bad however that is the most experience I have had dealing with dry heat. I was surprised when looking at the weather forecast. It's already well in the 90's in Phoenix for 10 straight days and it's just barely April. Is this normal? How hot does 95 with 15% humidity feel compared to 80 with 60% humidity??? I am a tad concerned about my wife. She sometimes has trouble with blazing sun. Lack of shade could be an issue. Any advice from someone who has relocated from a humid state to here would be helpful.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:05 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,213,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Many years ago I visited Phoenix from NYC in May and the heat in the sun was brutal. You could easily burn yourself on any objects in your car that were exposed to the sun through the windows. July should be a good test for you. I recall that in May it was "fry an egg on the sidewalk" hot in the sun.
Actually, it's impossible in July, let alone in May. You need to get the sidewalk >150F and that has not happened in AZ. In fact, it's a tradition in an AZ city every July 4th. Read all about it here https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ars-180972556/

But I know what you meant.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
I agree. Every. Freaking. Summer. Like the stupid driver law for crossing flooded roads, there should be a stupid hiker law!
Exactly! And then we have bozos like Katalin Metro who file lawsuits for being rescued (see link below). She sued because a helicopter picked her up and spun her around while being airlifted. She shouldn't have been out there in the first place, and therefore, none of that would have ever happened. She suffered as a result of her blatant stupidity, and that's what needs to happen to all the other idiotic hikers who think they're physically fit to handle these activities, especially in the heat.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...c-fa38b6196023

Quote:
In Phoenix, May & October are pretty similar as far as temperatures, but I think May feels worse because the sun is at a higher angle. It's also the second sunniest Month on average, which refers to the number of clear/cloudless days. Those two things alone make the spring months seem hotter than the fall. When you're out in the direct sunlight, you feel the burn, regardless of how humid or dry it is.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,749,772 times
Quote:
July can be quite a bit different than May actually, it depends on if we're seeing much Monsoon activity or not but you're more likely to get storm events, rain sometimes, and it will be notably more humid. May evenings cool off much more than July but you can get cloudier days in July which helps knock the sun down. May is a cake walk compared to July but touching objects exposed to the sun for long periods is a bad idea, probably any month of the year in a lot of cities.

And yeah, just like many other false narratives about Phoenix, it's never been warm enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. But people do try every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area