Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 PM

223 posts, read 597,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybird View Post

...I prefer a state that fosters business growth, not penalizes it.
This is the only part of your post I disagree with; remember that the Bay Area is home to "Silicon Valley", which is still the premier venue for venture capital in the high-tech and bio-tech fields. This is the area that gave birth to everything from Intel and AMD to Cisco, Apple, Google, Yahoo, HP, You-Tube, E-Bay, Paypal, Facebook, Genentech, and so on. It is a great place to be if you are a technology worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybird View Post
I have spent time in SF. I was happy to get home. I spent a week at a medical conference there. The weather in late Aug./early Sept. was cold and damp ...
I always feel sorry for people who come to SF in the 'summer' ... it is the worst possible time to come! Starting in late September, the 'Indian Summer' begins, with gorgeous weather. We then have a super mild 'winter' (overnight lows in SF are higher than Phoenix for Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb; daytime highs in Phoenix are about 10 degrees higher - see this site and click on the high/low/precipitation buttons), and a gorgeous spring. Having said that, SF summers do suck big time and I moved out to the 30-degree-warmer-in-summer East Bay, and I'm now looking forward to my first "winter" in Phoenix!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Zactly!!! It would take a seven figure income to have anything similar over in So Cal and these days it still would not be as nice! The great neighborhoods of central Phoenix are some of the Valley's best kept secrets.
BINGO!

My G/F just bought a house built in the 1950's on a 1/4 acre lot for under $100K. That same house/lot in a comparable Calif area would go for at least $350K

Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM

16 posts, read 42,704 times
I love Phoenix and I am from Europe. It is different, unique, open, friendly!. If you compare Phoenix to other cities you have missed the point..Phoenicians love Phoenix BECAUSE it is different.
Much love to you in chilly ville!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
This is the only part of your post I disagree with; remember that the Bay Area is home to "Silicon Valley", which is still the premier venue for venture capital in the high-tech and bio-tech fields. This is the area that gave birth to everything from Intel and AMD to Cisco, Apple, Google, Yahoo, HP, You-Tube, E-Bay, Paypal, Facebook, Genentech, and so on. It is a great place to be if you are a technology worker.
I agree with most of your post, but in the Phoenix area we do have Intel, Paypal, Godaddy.com, and quite a few other tech companies. It's not Silicon Valley, but it's probably going to grow as companies seek lower cost sites.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM

338 posts, read 1,626,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How can you speak for how I feel physically in the humidity vs. our dry heat? You prefer that weather back east------------I do not.

Trust me: as I stated previously------------I feel like hell whenever the humidity is high (60%+) coupled with 80F+ temps.

For example; I walked ca. 2 miles last night at 7 PM when it was ca. 110F out there............a bit uncomfortable but not debilitating by any means. Once I got back inside under the AC I was not panting, nothing. Just sweating a bit. Note I will be 52 in a couple of months and I am also 40 lbs overweight.
I could not agree with you more! I hate the humidity with a passion. Like today for example, it's 106 and not as dry as it usually is- the humidity is 22% instead of a wonderful, dry 12% so I can feel it. I can and do go for a long walks/jogs in 105 degree + temps as long as it's DRY, I feel no effect whatsoever. I do not even sweat much. But if you add the humidity factor in there, I'm sweating and complaining the whole way and then I come back inside and I'm still miserable because I cannot even get comfortable in my air conditioned house because I feel so damn sticky.

You east coasters and mid west folks can have the humidity because I certainly cannot and will not deal with it.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I could not agree with you more! I hate the humidity with a passion. Like today for example, it's 106 and not as dry as it usually is- the humidity is 22% instead of a wonderful, dry 12% so I can feel it.
I'm finding it hard to get reliable weather info; I was outside today and noticed the higher humidity so went to look at a weather page. "Weather Underground" showed Scottsdale as 93.4F, humidity 11%, dew point 31F; "The Weather Channel" showed Scottsdale as 102F, humidity 20%, Dewpoint 54F !!! That's too much variation to be explained by weather station location, I think.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
For hot Szechuan/Sichuan, Try China Chili, near Indian School and 3rd Street north of Downtown:

http://www.chinachilirestaurant.com/

Not a chain like P.F. Changs or Flo's, Chinese owners, and waiters, good food.
Hey, Arizona Mike! I was out looking for this place last night but couldn't find it (and of course, last night was the first night EVER that my iPhone decided to get quirky on me, such that I could not pull up this site or google, etc!). So today I follow the link above and see that they are at 302 East Flower St, Phoenix - have they moved? Closed down their Scottsdale location? Or were you confusing it with something else (hope, hope!). Damn, I was so ready for some good spicy food last night!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 AM

25 posts, read 43,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Agree. San Francisco sounds like most Euro cities. Overrated, stinky, expensive, crime infested, and exceedingly liberal.
Well you are right for all of what you said except Phoenix is crime infested too.I mean it is the Kidnapping capital of the USA.And it has many shooting robberies and stuff.I live in Phoenix but i go to Phoenix like every weekend so i know.and the news too.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyrobby View Post
Well you are right for all of what you said except Phoenix is crime infested too.I mean it is the Kidnapping capital of the USA.And it has many shooting robberies and stuff.I live in Phoenix but i go to Phoenix like every weekend so i know.and the news too.
Virtually all of the kidnappings involve illegal aliens-----------as both victims and perpetrators.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,482,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyrobby View Post
You live in Phoenix, but you go to Phoenix every weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area