Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Where is Houstion? LOL, I kid I know you mean Houston. I've lived in SA and El Paso and have made trips through Houston from Keesler Air Force Base, MS...it is about a 14-16 hour drive depending on weather and traffic. An incredibly boring drive.
wow 14 hrs from phx to houston? Thats likely to require some speeding...

I have to admit I was a little scared to speed through Texas due to all the "YOU DONT MESS WITH TEXAS" signs!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
wow 14 hrs from phx to houston? Thats likely to require some speeding...

I have to admit I was a little scared to speed through Texas due to all the "YOU DONT MESS WITH TEXAS" signs!!
"Don't Mess With Texas???" LOL True, New Mexico state police are meaner though.

It's about 1180 miles to Houston; speed limits vary from 75-85 (or is was it raised to 80 in Texas? I think it was 85). Anyway, don't need to speed in order to make it there between 14-16 hours especially if you don't stop like the OP said was the most likely scenario. I didn't stop either unless nature called.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
"Don't Mess With Texas???" LOL True, New Mexico state police are meaner though.

It's about 1180 miles to Houston; speed limits vary from 75-85 (or is was it raised to 80 in Texas? I think it was 85). Anyway, don't need to speed in order to make it there between 14-16 hours especially if you don't stop like the OP said was the most likely scenario. I didn't stop either unless nature called.
Its been a LONG time for me and I only did the drive once under extremely weary conditions, so I was probably well under the speed limit once my fatigue and head bobbing kicked in (Somewhere in the wasteland b/w El Paso & San Antonio).

One thing I do remember was saying to my wife when we hit El Paso rather early, that it was kind of cool to have breakfast in Phx, and be in El Paso for lunch. I thought I remembered that being around 7hrs or so. So when I look at the map from El Paso to Houston, it looks quite a bit longer than Phx to El Paso.

The TX drive WAS excruciatingly boring. I even recall wanting to claw myself out of my own skin at some points just to get out of there, which doesnt exactly help the time fly either.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Its been a LONG time for me and I only did the drive once under extremely weary conditions, so I was probably well under the speed limit once my fatigue and head bobbing kicked in (Somewhere in the wasteland b/w El Paso & San Antonio).

One thing I do remember was saying to my wife when we hit El Paso rather early, that it was kind of cool to have breakfast in Phx, and be in El Paso for lunch. I thought I remembered that being around 7hrs or so. So when I look at the map from El Paso to Houston, it looks quite a bit longer than Phx to El Paso.

The TX drive WAS excruciatingly boring. I even recall wanting to claw myself out of my own skin at some points just to get out of there, which doesnt exactly help the time fly either.
LOL, I can see that. You mean the "hill country" of Texas LOL! Ugh, it was boring. The hills to me looked rather flat...but I think some of that had to do with the drive itself. Monotonous. I think I made it to El Paso between 5.5 and 6.5 hours...traffic, weather and mood played huge parts! Also, the drive between EP and H-town is a rather straight line, from Phx to EP is rather curvaceous and shifted direction from time to time.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
LOL, I can see that. You mean the "hill country" of Texas LOL! Ugh, it was boring. The hills to me looked rather flat...but I think some of that had to do with the drive itself. Monotonous. I think I made it to El Paso between 5.5 and 6.5 hours...traffic, weather and mood played huge parts! Also, the drive between EP and H-town is a rather straight line, from Phx to EP is rather curvaceous and shifted direction from time to time.

The Hill country in Texas is North of San Antonio, nearer to Austin. You don't really go through it on the 10. That's the best part of Texas and is not boring.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The Hill country in Texas is North of San Antonio, nearer to Austin. You don't really go through it on the 10. That's the best part of Texas and is not boring.
The hill country extends to West Texas bro, I've driven through it much too often. It follows much of the ten, west past San Antonio and past Kimble curving with the North Llano River west of the Roosevelt post to about Junction, TX all along the 10. The hill country is entirely west of both San An and Austin...However, there is a longer section of the 10 outside of the Hill Country, although it isn't a very large "country;" about 14,000 sq. miles if I remember correctly...Maricopa County is about 9,224 sq miles I think in comparison.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
The hill country extends to West Texas bro, I've driven through it much too often. It follows much of the ten, west past San Antonio and past Kimble curving with the North Llano River west of the Roosevelt post. The hill country is entirely west of both San An and Austin...
You'll have to tell that to my cousin that lives in Austin. He thinks it's the area between Austin and San Antonio. You know, those little German towns with the green hills and lakes, etc.?

Plus, there's not much in the way of "hills" in West Texas. It's been my understanding for as long as I can remember that the Hill Country doesn't go much further West than Fredericksburg, but I've been wrong before.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You'll have to tell that to my cousin that lives in Austin. He thinks it's the area between Austin and San Antonio. You know, those little German towns with the green hills and lakes, etc.?

Plus, there's not much in the way of "hills" in West Texas. It's been my understanding for as long as I can remember that the Hill Country doesn't go much further West than Fredericksburg, but I've been wrong before.
Just show him this Texas map: from Texas...LOL! It might help. The I-35 roughly follows the eastern boundary of the Hill Country and is the northbound/southbound route between San An and Austin.
http://www.txinfo.com/products/hillcntrymap.html

As for hills in West Texas, have you driven from Lovington, NM to Fort Worth, TX? Follow the state route from Seminole to Lamesa to Snyder to Breckenridge onto Fort Worth. Not as hilly as Hill Country but hilly, especially compared to the panhandle. I've taken this route to Dallas from Alamogordo (Holloman AFB), NM.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM

I was passing through TX to go to Fl keys on our road trip, so we were eagerly awaiting some signs of water. I actually found San Antonio to be the turning point of the landscape. Everything steadily got greener and yes, more humid from there and onward.

Prior to that point, the drive didnt seem to deviate far from the Phx landscape or climate. We never went off I-10 and probably drove in darkness through most of the small patch of whatever "hill country" was alongside I-10.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Here's a terrible map, but the only one I could find. Doesn't show it going too far into West Texas, although my definition and your definition of West Texas may be different.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area