Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,876,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I don't mind boring scenery if I have good music to listen to. I think for the last stretch I might have her drive, or just switch off every 5-6 hours.

We need to get in by 11pm-1am in Houston, actually Galveston, for a cruise to Mexico/Caribbean!
If that's the case, I would leave the day before and spend some time there to make sure things don't happen to make you late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,432,402 times
I took that exact trip just about 6 months ago. Tempe to Houston.

We left at around 2pm on a Friday and drove to El Paso to spend the night. We got up at 6am the next morning and drove all the way to Houston (picked up a car my friend had bought online), and drove all the way to Ozona, TX to spend the night. From Ozona, we drove back to Tempe and arrived back home at 8pm on Sunday.

We were only stopped by one checkpoint outside of El Paso. It took us a total of 5 minutes, I think. The drive is SO LONG, but I had a great travel companion and good music

Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,427,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
If that's the case, I would leave the day before and spend some time there to make sure things don't happen to make you late...
We are driving in the day before the cruise, so we have the night before and some of the morning in case something happens. We are getting a hotel in Houston/Galvelston

Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM

75 posts, read 197,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I've done it a few times. I never encountered any border checkpoints. I usually leave early, have a late lunch in either Las Cruses, NM, or El Paso, TX, which are about 30 minutes apart. After El Paso there is virtually nothing for hours. Then I stop in Ft. Stockton, TX (stay at the Hampton Inn, the other hotels are much older). After Ft. Stockton there's not much of anything until San Antonio. One of the most boring drives you will ever encounter. West Texas is not especially interesting.
We moved to Houston from Phoenix in July 07.....Now after hurricanes
and bugs and HUMIDITY and traffic and not much to do unless you are into shopping malls and cookie cutter places to eat (dont forget crime too!) I carry a gun here in Houston at all times ... we are moving back.....I made the exact stop
you did in Fort Stockton coming over but going back I want to get home
(AZ) so fast and out of Texas I will drive it non-stop this time.
I miss south Tempe

Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,912,755 times
It will take you TWO HOURS to get from the western city limits of Houston to Galveston - don't even think that you'll be the exception and arrive in less time. It's a straight ten hours between El Paso and San Antonio. Most of the I-10 construction through San Antonio is complete, except on the east side (as you are leaving the city for Houston), but, the delays are very short in time. The drive from San Antonio to Houston is three hours. It's pretty drive in the months of November/December and there are several places to stop and eat, I recommend Texas BBQ.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,427,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
It will take you TWO HOURS to get from the western city limits of Houston to Galveston - don't even think that you'll be the exception and will get there in less time. It's a straight ten hours between El Paso and San Antonio. Most of the I-10 construction through San Antonio is complete, except on the east side (as you are leaving the city for Houston), but, the delays are very short in time. The drive from San Antonio to Houston is three hours. It's pretty drive in the November/December and there are several places to stop and eat, I recommend Texas BBQ.
Really? I just put Houston in the title since I thought they were close and it was a larger city.

We are going to stay 1 night in either Houston and drive to the port, or stay right in Galvelston.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,912,755 times
Stay in a hotel on the west side of Houston along I-10 (called the Katy Freeway by locals), there are plenty of good places to eat. If you have never been to Houston, you will be staggard by its size and the amount of traffic. Galveston infrastructure is still skeleton-ish due to the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,486,829 times
Galveston is fine now - all the big restaurants, hotels, and resorts are up and running. Just some of the mom and pops places kupukt.

A good place to stop for a reasonable 2-3 hr detour is some real mountains: The Davis Mountains - about 150 miles east of El Paso. Check out McDonald Observatory of U.T. It's got a huge 400+inch lens telescope and some of the clearest air in the world. Smaller scopes are available for nighttime viewing by the public. Very pretty scenery on the way - much more rugged than Hill Country (which by the way you really won't be seeing the best of). LLano Uplift (a big granite dome) is pretty cool but a ways north of your route.

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/about.html

Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 PM

75 posts, read 197,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Stay in a hotel on the west side of Houston along I-10 (called the Katy Freeway by locals), there are plenty of good places to eat. If you have never been to Houston, you will be staggard by its size and the amount of traffic. Galveston infrastructure is still skeleton-ish due to the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.
Truth be known Phoenex is bigger ....greater Phoenix land wise anyway.
Houston just has more people in smaller space...and 10x more traffic

Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,524,650 times
Houston is larger than Phoenix (579 square miles vs 515 square miles) and Houston has (in my opinion, having lived in both cities, but I could find no "proof" other than population data) the larger metro area. Phoenix is Massive. Houston is MASSIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area