Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You'll have to tell that to my cousin that lives in Austin. He thinks it's the area between Austin and San Antonio. You know, those little German towns with the green hills and lakes, etc.?

Plus, there's not much in the way of "hills" in West Texas. It's been my understanding for as long as I can remember that the Hill Country doesn't go much further West than Fredericksburg, but I've been wrong before.
I understand what you are trying to say. A drive through the heart of the hill country would be much more scenic and enjoyable than the drive along I-10 ... which may "technically" run through through the southern fringe hill country. But that I-10 drive shouldnt be used as a representation of the real hill country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Here's a terrible map, but the only one I could find. Doesn't show it going too far into West Texas, although my definition and your definition of West Texas may be different.
Probably not different, that green is mostly central Texas, LOL...I would have to ask a Texan but is west of San Antonio "west Texas?" I do know that the 10 goes through a huge portion of hill country...well through most of the east-west section from San Antonio. The prettiest part of the area is north and east of the 10 thought, west of Austin...but prettiest doesn't mean most of...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 PM

I found this map of regions, but still I dont think you could say you've seen the real "hill country" by driving along I-10

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I found this map of regions, but still I dont think you could say you've seen the real "hill country" by driving along I-10

The "real hill country?" I've never heard a Texan refer to the Hill Country as the real part and the fake part... And the i-10 is in much of the blue area that is called "Hill Country" on the map you supplied. But I'll leave your last map as my last "argument."

Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The "real hill country?" I've never heard a Texan refer to the Hill Country as the real part and the fake part... And the i-10 is in much of the blue area that is called "Hill Country" on the map you supplied.
Well I just mean HIS point was that the hill country was somehow different than what you see along I-10. So I was saying that I understand a freeway only passes through the flattest easiest passage and therefore not probably a good representation of the ENTIRE region.

As I told you before, I have no idea what it looks like either way. I passed it in the dark while halfway asleep. His point was that hill country is a nice drive, so I was trying to explain I understood the point of his remark instead of debating boundary lines.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 AM

135 posts, read 542,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Any tips? Google says it's an 18 hour drive, does that sound right?

I noticed it takes me along the mexican border for a while, I assume I will encounter check points? Will this slow me down?
Hi,
Drive time is right. Expect border checkpoint (as others posted) west of Las Cruces, usually not bad....little delay. Maybe checkpoint again east of Van Horn, TX around I-10/I-20 split.

Boring ride, not much to see, sorry, my opinion..unless you're pressed for time, I wouldn't recommend travelling at night although it would be cooler....but since there isn't much out there in the way of distraction (lights etc) anytime of the day/night, you'd be fighting sleepiness as another suggested.

I have made the trip many times..and stayed in Van Horn, TX overnight instead of Fort Stockton, but I like fort Stockton, too. Clean affordable motels both places. Last time (a number of years ago) I was through San Antonio there was a massive road construction project going on. It should be finished now, but expect delays for rush hour traffic in /around San Antonio. Can't say where I'd spend the night east of San Antonio, never had to, always took the short driving day and spent the night in San Antonio.

Hope this helps...I've pretty much repeated what others posted...
Peg

Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
If a person has energy to drive between Arizona to Texas, it could take less than 18 hours.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
I have driven to San Fransisco in a straight shot before, took something like 14-16 hours, and I felt fine.

My fiance can dirve half the time too, it won't be just me, I forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 AM

135 posts, read 542,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I have driven to San Fransisco in a straight shot before, took something like 14-16 hours, and I felt fine.

My fiance can dirve half the time too, it won't be just me, I forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the replies.
Just a comment on driving to San Fran and being all right after the long drive...The scenery is way different driving that direction than driving through Texas... I-10 is a boring drive from El Paso to Houston. It's desert and barren.

Good that you have someone to share the driving with, it will cut down the amount of time you actually spend behind the wheel. I'd suggest swapping drivers every 5 hours and take about 1/2 hour break when you swap, get out and walk around, etc...makes the journey less stressful. My two cents worth.
Peg

Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
I don't mind boring scenery if I have good music to listen to. I think for the last stretch I might have her drive, or just switch off every 5-6 hours.

We need to get in by 11pm-1am in Houston, actually Galveston, for a cruise to Mexico/Caribbean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area