Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Snow plows can't control where the snow goes when they plow and roads are certainly more important than a walk being cleared to ride a bicycle.
Main roads are more important than side roads. That's a very good reason to plow the main roads first or to only plow the main roads if there isn't a whole bunch of snow. But nobody uses the side streets as a dumping place for snow from the main roads no matter how much more important they think the main roads are.

If PennDot can't plow the bridge without blocking the sidewalk, they need to plow the sidewalk as part of the job. It's no longer a question of priority, but of PennDot fixing problems it caused instead of pushing them off on one set of people that haven't historically been as likely to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Main roads are more important than side roads. That's a very good reason to plow the main roads first or to only plow the main roads if there isn't a whole bunch of snow. But nobody uses the side streets as a dumping place for snow from the main roads no matter how much more important they think the main roads are.

If PennDot can't plow the bridge without blocking the sidewalk, they need to plow the sidewalk as part of the job. It's no longer a question of priority, but of PennDot fixing problems it caused instead of pushing them off on one set of people that haven't historically been as likely to complain.
Well stated. I also know the sidewalk on the Highland Park Bridge will never be cleared. Heck it is full of litter and debris. This year I will have to clean it myself, which takes about half of a day and I have equipment to do so. I don't have the time to clear the snow though. There is no where to put it except shovel it over to the place it should be in the first place, on the side of the road. People don't realize how long that bridge actually is unless they clean it. Believe me it is SUPER long when on foot. I also know most people don't understand what I am talking about, nor do I expect people to get it.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Snow plows can't control where the snow goes when they plow and roads are certainly more important than a walk being cleared to ride a bicycle.
You clearly haven't a clue about snowplowing. Of course they can control where snow goes. It is called speed and angle. Goodness, what is it with you? Don't you understand something that simple?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You clearly haven't a clue about snowplowing. Of course they can control where snow goes. It is called speed and angle. Goodness, what is it with you? Don't you understand something that simple?
Sure do understand. What you dont understand is that clearing roads is more important than a few who wanna ride a bike in the snow. They have to angle it to get it off the road and do it in a timely manner. Going slow enough so that it doesn't get on a sidewalk so somebody can ride a bike on it is ridiculous. You've already made reference to them making time and a half. Slower they go the more it costs. Again, until the snow or majority of the snow melts, drive a car. If you must ride a bike I'd suggest carrying a shovel.

Last edited by erieguy; 02-24-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Again, until the snow or majority of the snow melts, drive a car. Not a big deal.
Cars cost tens of thousands of dollars. Even a crappy car that you already own free and clear will cost something like $1,000 a year just to keep on the road and insured. If we make it easier to bike or walk, more people can stop driving. This is all for the best in terms of health, the environment, and the U.S. trade deficit.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Side road or main road, they need plowed. The safety of many is far more important than the few who feel riding a bicycle takes precedence.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Cars cost tens of thousands of dollars. Even a crappy car that you already own free and clear will cost something like $1,000 a year just to keep on the road and insured. If we make it easier to bike or walk, more people can stop driving. This is all for the best in terms of health, the environment, and the U.S. trade deficit.
Not happening. I'd suggest carrying a shovel.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Side road or main road, they need plowed. The safety of many is far more important than the few who feel riding a bicycle takes precedence.
If we actually acted on safety, people would stay home and slow down. You mean "convenience" not "safety." The issue is whether you can drive across the bridge safely at 75 mph or 55 mph, not whether you can cross it safely at all. Trying to save that small amount of time, maybe 30 seconds, has gotten more people killed than all the snow that has ever fallen.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Not happening. I'd suggest carrying a shovel.
But it is happening. More slowly than I'd like, but things have improved greatly in the past couple of decades.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 AM

Perhaps you should round up all the bikers and meet at the city-county building and share your concerns with the powers that be. Complaining here certainly isn't gonna speed up the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh