Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,936,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
How much you wagering on that?
Say what? Pittsburgh is not even the top 50 cities in the country! Their Penguins are about to be crushed by the Sharks! More pessimism for this unlucky city. The economy is tankin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:11 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,895,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Say what? Pittsburgh is not even the top 50 cities in the country! Their Penguins are about to be crushed by the Sharks! More pessimism for this unlucky city. The economy is tankin'.
I can understand the excitement a city might have at the prospect of seeing its first championship in any professional sport outside of roller hockey, but it's going to be a long series before there's a declared winner.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,277,879 times
Quote:
Gotcha. In other words you're not wagering anything on the Sharks in only their first Stanley Cup Final ever.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:29 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,001,410 times
Quote:
But it is the 22nd largest media market.

San Jose City: 179.9 sq miles. Population density: 5754.3/m2
Pittsburgh City: 58.3 sq miles. Population density: 5510.6/m2

Santa Clara County: 1,290 sq miles. 1,400/m2
Allegheny County: 730 sq miles. Population density: 1,686/m2

San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara MSMA: 1,976,836
Pittsburgh SMSA: 2,353,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Now that's funny. Great to see 'burgh team apparel everywhere dahntahn...especially on gamedays. City of Champions and all.
I'll call that out every time I see it. In North America, Pittsburgh is still #9. In two weeks they might tie for 8th. And if the Bucs and Steelers win out, Pittsburgh could have 7th place to itself by February.

Long way to go to get to #1 though.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:46 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,277,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

I'll call that out every time I see it. In North America, Pittsburgh is still #9. In two weeks they might tie for 8th. And if the Bucs and Steelers win out, Pittsburgh could have 7th place to itself by February.

Didn't say anything about #1...unless you want to talk Super Bowl championships.

I mentioned 'burgh team apparel and da 'burghs nickname of City of Champions. While the Bucs haven't contributed since '79, The City of Champions and City of Black and Gold will forever be a nickname, here.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:22 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,936,780 times
Quote:

That's just Santa Clara County. Compare it with Allegheny County!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:19 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,070,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I can understand the excitement a city might have at the prospect of seeing its first championship in any professional sport outside of roller hockey, but it's going to be a long series before there's a declared winner.
that just made my day.

have fun sitting in traffic, topper, since that is the rare occasion people in your neck of the woods have to actually interact with each other!

Old 05-29-2016, 12:31 AM

14,192 posts, read 22,799,900 times
Quote:

That means Pittsburgh is the highest-ranking U.S. city with fewer than four major professional sports teams. I wonder what the breakdown is per team season, and how that compares to all the other cities.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 AM

290 posts, read 367,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think you're too down or New York's subway. Not only is it the best system in North America, but it compares favorably to most of the major European cities. I definitely preferred it to Paris and London.
I think it's fantastic, and I've experienced my share of systems, including the D.C. metro, PAT, and the champion of horrible, MARTA. I'm from Atlanta, and can't count the number of times morons have come up to me and said they admire Atlanta's system with a perfectly straight face. Without fail, the moron's a businessman who rode one train once, straight from the hotel to the conference and back. If he had to depend on it? LOL. This is the first time I've seen someone not born and raised with the MTA sound exactly like someone who was. You know how your sport is football and maybe hockey? NYC's is complaining. An art, a science, and a bonding experience all in one. You have to see it to believe it. I'm learning the technique. Slowly. Unfortunately, I am still cursed with the perspective that the "bad train" which runs "only 7-8 minutes apart" during morning rush is actually a "very good train," hopefully time and bitter experience can divorce me from this incorrect approach to the major questions of life. Perhaps with time, I will even come to see how the MTA is like war crimes and atrocities, who can tell?

Generally, my rule is thus: I do not argue with experts. Even self-appointed experts. Not even experts on open-mindedness who spend the rest of their time hiding opinions they don't like and lobbing epithets at those deluded sadsacks who've committed the crime of loving the city where they were born, which is not the same city that launched the expert into the world. Of course, some schticks are nothing more than little performance pieces or tall tales with an ulterior motive in mind. They have their place, but I wouldn't bet the farm or make major life decisions on them. Of course, a hallmark of our damnable modern era (which is much worse than all the eras preceding it) you'll have that person who believes polling strangers on the internet will settle the matter of whether "hubby" should take that new job in Colorado or Arizona, so, you know. To each his own and [platitude or cliche of your choice].

SCR, good luck with that job. You will be so much happier outside the deadly grind of delivery. I'm sure you have your thing down, but in case you haven't heard yet, follow up about 2 weeks from the interview date. If my math holds, that would be the 31st of this month (maybe wait till Wed. the 1st given the holiday weekend). People sometimes worry about being pests but following up once is perfectly appropriate, and in some cases has landed the person the job. My wife got a new job 3 months ago and the interview rounds took place 12 weeks before and 9 weeks before the signing of the papers. It may lift people's spirits if I mentioned that the jobs forecast for 2016 is definitely on the up and the hiring forecast is far preferable to that of 2-3 years ago (a recent report had wages up with productivity the same or slightly declining -- a very good sign for regular workers like you and me), but hiring decisions can drag on even when the employer is gung ho about the candidate.

Last edited by Mr.BadGuy; 05-29-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,985,347 times
I've lived in NYC during all or part of the Koch, Dinkins, Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations. I grew up riding the K train (that's not a typo). I remember when tokens were currency, as in I literally bought chips and quarter waters from the bodega with tokens. I've seen the MTA at its best and at its worst. It's easily the best subway system in North America, but it's hard to except that when you're station loses service for six months because of track repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh