Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2023, 10:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Manchester could def use some more infill, however I am not sure if it is the homeowners holding on to empty lots to give themselves a little more breathing room or if that it's a historic district that slows down the infill process since they cant build ultra modern infill like in other parts of the city.
We need to realize how super expensive it is to build these days. It is really for the wealthy only. Even a pretty small home. I’ve talked to builders and they really focus on $800k and up. Sad, but reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 11:17 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
We need to realize how super expensive it is to build these days. It is really for the wealthy only. Even a pretty small home. I’ve talked to builders and they really focus on $800k and up. Sad, but reality.
Oh def agree...I was looking to have a small custom home built, because I did not want one of these 4 story huge infills you see around the city, and they wont even talk to anyone not looking to spend 750k+. I get the math behind it, but its a shame.

Old 07-05-2023, 11:34 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Manchester could def use some more infill, however I am not sure if it is the homeowners holding on to empty lots to give themselves a little more breathing room or if that it's a historic district that slows down the infill process since they cant build ultra modern infill like in other parts of the city.
I've wondered what's going on with Manchester too. Real estate prices are clearly high enough to warrant more new-construction infill, like what is seen in Central North Side. I know you've been on a property search, so you probably have a better idea of who owns the vacant lots than I do. I suspect there's a lot of land banking by the Mystik family and the like, TBH.

I think Manchester really needs commercial development, though. Urban renewal erased non-residential uses, first with the destruction of Beaver Avenue to make way for 65, and then with the horribly ill-thought-out redevelopment of Pennsylvania Avenue. The neighborhood has a handful of things remaining, like Leo. and W.N. Grocery, but they're on the fringes...something is needed in the heart of the neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2023, 12:30 PM

July 11th Planning Commission presentation is online. There are three new items and a fair amount to discuss:

1. A new apartment building in Uptown. This is a five-story, 51-unit project by Rothschild Doyno. It's...bland (The Standard on Fifth is an apt name). I will say in its defense though that it utilizes the zero parking minimums allowed under Uptown zoning, with only three surface spaces and zero structured parking stalls - the kind of thing which would be rebuildable in Uptown until recently. It also fills in a notable empty spot along Fifth, though it will take out the two buildings on the right.

2. A presentation detailing the planned infill of the former Reed Roberts Manor site with new rowhouses and two multi-unit buildings (123 units in total). I had heard a little bit about this from URA documents, but these are the first detailed renderings I've seen. While not my preferred style, they exceed my admittedly low expectations for design in affordable housing. Also of note here is Page 3, which goes through all of the planned projects to replace Bedford Dwellings, which involves 796 units (including 202 market rate) built between now and 2028, including this project, the 110-unit City's Edge, a 138-unit development on Herron Avenue (I've heard nothing about this, but it's not starting until 2026) and the remainder built on the old site of Bedford Dwellings.

3. Finally, there are proposed changes to the Hazelwood Green PLDP to allow for the construction of the new CMU Robotics Innovation Center. This isn't really a "new project" - some of these documents have gone before the ZBA back in May. I suppose it's good that some development is going forward in the area, though I do dislike how the master plan is being slowly whittled away over time.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:09 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
July 11th Planning Commission presentation is online. There are three new items and a fair amount to discuss:

1. A new apartment building in Uptown. This is a five-story, 51-unit project by Rothschild Doyno. It's...bland (The Standard on Fifth is an apt name). I will say in its defense though that it utilizes the zero parking minimums allowed under Uptown zoning, with only three surface spaces and zero structured parking stalls - the kind of thing which would be rebuildable in Uptown until recently. It also fills in a notable empty spot along Fifth, though it will take out the two buildings on the right.

2. A presentation detailing the planned infill of the former Reed Roberts Manor site with new rowhouses and two multi-unit buildings (123 units in total). I had heard a little bit about this from URA documents, but these are the first detailed renderings I've seen. While not my preferred style, they exceed my admittedly low expectations for design in affordable housing. Also of note here is Page 3, which goes through all of the planned projects to replace Bedford Dwellings, which involves 796 units (including 202 market rate) built between now and 2028, including this project, the 110-unit City's Edge, a 138-unit development on Herron Avenue (I've heard nothing about this, but it's not starting until 2026) and the remainder built on the old site of Bedford Dwellings.

3. Finally, there are proposed changes to the Hazelwood Green PLDP to allow for the construction of the new CMU Robotics Innovation Center. This isn't really a "new project" - some of these documents have gone before the ZBA back in May. I suppose it's good that some development is going forward in the area, though I do dislike how the master plan is being slowly whittled away over time.
1. I think that is good for that spot. Not a bad location to get places on a bike either. Most new places are pretty bland unless they are high end. I wish they could make them super contemporary without adding cost.

2. I don't have much interest in a crime area like Bedford, but I was wondering the places on Reed, Heldman and Miller. Those aren't for the people on the taxpayer's dime I hope. They are pretty sweet and should bring some money in a much needed situation. I don't know who would want to live in such an area, but some blue/orange hair nose ring might be cool with it, or some guy with little experience. Don't know, but they are nice.

3. The only question I have is, why is the plan getting cut down so much? Are there better areas to expand? One would think robotics would be pretty in right now as labor is too expensive to turn profits, hence we need more automation.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
1. I think that is good for that spot. Not a bad location to get places on a bike either. Most new places are pretty bland unless they are high end. I wish they could make them super contemporary without adding cost.
There's no sign these are "affordable" housing, but they're being billed as "workforce housing" and don't have any parking, which makes it clear the building is being marketed towards the bottom segment of the market (basically students and younger people starting their careers).

Quote:
2. I don't have much interest in a crime area like Bedford, but I was wondering the places on Reed, Heldman and Miller. Those aren't for the people on the taxpayer's dime I hope. They are pretty sweet and should bring some money in a much needed situation. I don't know who would want to live in such an area, but some blue/orange hair nose ring might be cool with it, or some guy with little experience. Don't know, but they are nice.
All of these developments are planned to be 75% affordable, 25% market, from what I understand. Judging by past experience with Oak Hill (which has been very successful), there will indeed be a more economically and racially diverse group of people moving into the properties than have lived in the Hill District historically. But this really isn't surprising, as the Hill District has steadily gotten less black over the last few decades.

Quote:
3. The only question I have is, why is the plan getting cut down so much? Are there better areas to expand? One would think robotics would be pretty in right now as labor is too expensive to turn profits, hence we need more automation.
Hazelwood Green has filled in very slowly, considering the first master plan came out over ten years ago. I think part of the issue is Hazelwood itself; though it is improving, just isn't desirable enough to warrant new construction yet (though plans are percolating along for some market-rate infill housing). At the same time, office demand is pretty much dead. The developers wanted flexibility some months back to consider building big-box retail, which I think says it all about how desperate they are to find someone to fill in the vacant parcels.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:43 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,913 times
The Hazelwood Green is a great place to take a new driver to get a feel for driving. If you go early on a weekend or holiday, it's empty.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:24 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
All of these developments are planned to be 75% affordable, 25% market, from what I understand. Judging by past experience with Oak Hill (which has been very successful), there will indeed be a more economically and racially diverse group of people moving into the properties than have lived in the Hill District historically. But this really isn't surprising, as the Hill District has steadily gotten less black over the last few decades.

Hazelwood Green has filled in very slowly, considering the first master plan came out over ten years ago. I think part of the issue is Hazelwood itself; though it is improving, just isn't desirable enough to warrant new construction yet (though plans are percolating along for some market-rate infill housing). At the same time, office demand is pretty much dead. The developers wanted flexibility some months back to consider building big-box retail, which I think says it all about how desperate they are to find someone to fill in the vacant parcels.
What is odd about the Hill District is I view it as a lot of rewilding. I do like those places with the garages on the hills. Very cool.

I think a big box in Hazelwood would be a big win.

Old 07-07-2023, 02:06 PM

A major expansion of Bakery Square is in the works, which will ultimately extend it to include:

1. The entire "Village of Eastside" strip mall.
2. The vacant lot closer to Target where Club One used to be.
3. The "Matthews building" on the other side of Bakery Square purchased by Walnut Capital a few years back.

Between this and the ongoing redevelopment of the Shakespeare Street Giant Eagle site, this segment of Penn will be unrecognizable in 5-10 years.

It's a shame that the Village of Shadyside gated community is right in the middle of this zone, with a blank wall facing Penn. I recognize why this was done when it was built, but it seems like a huge missed opportunity now.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:52 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,694,145 times
I feel sometimes like Bakery Square is a whole different universe of people, businesses devoid of Pittsburgh authenticity. I'm glad it seems like it's thriving over there but I rarely frequent the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh