Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM

382 posts, read 302,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Doesn't make much of a difference to me in either case .. Black Panthers or The Klan .. both are terrorist groups, and as such, should be wiped off of the face of the earth.
You need to look up the word terrorist. Neither of these groups are terrorists they are more like pests that won't go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
One should be able to vote without the FEAR of intimidation.
While that is very hard to prove, a guy in army fatigues standing 10 feet in front of the polling place branishing a nightstick would be unnerving to people going to vote.

What if a KKK member in full dress was there instead of the BP member. Just standing there doing nothing but holding a night stick.

Somehow I don't think the KKK scenario would get trivialized and dismissed like the BP scenario did.

In my mind, the Black Panthers are no better than the KKK.

If the polling places needed protection..then have the police come in. Heck, even have ACORN come in if it involves minorities, but not the Black Panthers for pete's sake.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Here I will let a civil rights lawyer that onces run Robert Kennedy campaign explain it for you. He was there that day

YouTube - Eric Holder Drops Charges on Black Panthers for Voter Intimidation - Bill O'Reilly Reports
Every time I have watched Bartle Bull interviews, all on Fox obviously, I have been amazed that Holder dropped an already completed case so abruptly. I have to agree with Bull and his judgement of what has been going on and why it happened. O'Reilly tried so hard to make it look like Bull was probably just making noise but he does that on everything that comes along that could be political in nature.

I am pretty sure that Holder would have, or been forced to, carry a case of whites at the polling place calling blacks names and threatening them. We all know that race was involved in the BPP people being there and that it has to be involved in Holder's action.

The OP doesn't see that or that, as Bull said, this will look pretty tame compared to what we will probably see at the next two elections. Carrying this thing through to a logical, legal end would have, most likely, caused fewer of this kind of thing the next two times. We shall see what we shall see but it is very obvious that the rule at DOJ is no white against black can be allowed and no black against white can be tried.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.
I am guessing you wrote this in jest, right? As others on here have pointed out, replace the two idiots there with klan members holding a billy club and what do you think the response would be from the left, or the right for that matter? Come on man, common sense here

Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
Lets put some Klan members up there where the panthers were at and then see if you would be saying these things.
I'm not sure the klan member would live though the day.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I am guessing you wrote this in jest, right? As others on here have pointed out, replace the two idiots there with klan members holding a billy club and what do you think the response would be from the left, or the right for that matter? Come on man, common sense here
Liberals would probably notify their next of kin.

True Jim true. That was inner city philly I don't think they would have.

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
so, following your reasoning, if the klan were standing outside a mixed neighborhood voting location, wearing their sheets and carrying the cross, you assume the black voters wouldn't be intimidated?

Fuzzy thinking then, based on the hysteria presented even on this board at the mere mention of the klan,

Blacks today are still afraid at the resumption of acts of murder by the clan.

i dont think the klan has the balls to post up like that anywhere except in those backwards hick towns in the south unless they are protected by police

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.
I have a feeling that you should be hard at work for any group that wants to intimidate any white Republican voters at this fall's election. You don't understand what they wanted to do since most voters would probably vote Dem in that election if they lived in that area. Am I wrong that each voter is supposed to vote at a certain polling place and they have his name on the books? If I am right then surely a few white voters would have been voting against Obama.

How about the poll watcher those two told not to come out again to see what they were doing? I suppose that none of this was at all intimidating although he said he was frightened by their appearance and the way they talked to him. Intimidation is intimidation just as Bull could tell you from his experiences in Mississippi.

Did I see Holder even mention the Voting Rights Act of 1964? I don't recall it even coming up in his words, but then . . . . . . . .

Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Punctuation pal it is your friend. Typical bashing of the south,just to let you in on the secret there are "hick" towns in every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies