Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALiberal View Post
Thats the point she was trying to make. She "took him to one of his kind" because her mentality was that blacks helped blacks and whites help whites. Her prejudice was predicated on the assumption that whites would receive preferable treatment from other whites. When she saw that it wasn't the case, she immediately course corrected and changed her views. She should be celebrated for that..not chastised. Most people who would discriminate are entrenched in their hatred. If more people were like her the world would be a better place.
Yet for some reason you dont think she should be accountable for her actions before she realized this.

No I dont think we need more of her kind in the world that thinks its poor Vs Rich.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM

180 posts, read 188,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yet for some reason you dont think she should be accountable for her actions before she realized this.

No I dont think we need more of her kind in the world that thinks its poor Vs Rich.
Accountable for what? She did in fact help the white farmer. She saved his farm. The farmer was in no way damaged or negatively impacted by her actions. Consulting with a lawyer (who happened to be white) was a perfectly reasonable thing to do especially since by her own admission..she initially thought he would go out of his way to help.

If she had done things that she knew would have hurt the farmer then I would agree but she didn't.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,140,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well...I don't give you total credit because you may have WANTED to believe the story. To me it was OBVIOUS that not enough information was there to draw the conclusion that was drawn. Furthermore, even what she said was not an act against a person for being "white" but an act of rooted in a person treating her as being "Inferior".

That said......wthout the full context of the the video how can the audience still be "disturbing"? They were reaacting to THE FULL CONTEXT of her story.....something that they had the benefit of being exposed to by that you do not.

You may be apologizing ONLY because its obvious that you put your foot in your mouth with your assumptions now that the Farmers wife has come out in her defense and her story is out. Yet, you hold onto you crritisim of the NAACP audience because there is no evidence to show that you might have your foot in your mouth for that as well. Again, why do you assume that the FULL context could have helped you make a better judgement of what she was really saying, but the full context does not matter in the audience response?

Again....you don't need me to accept your apology as I am not the arbiter for that.....but to me you are half stepping....still attempting to hold onto the "good feeling" of the NAACP promoting or condoning racism to counter or offset claims of racism against the Tea Party or whites in general. That is why you are still holding onto that NAACP audience "cheer", even though you don't have full context.
I dont care what you think of my apology. The audience reacted before she even finished, which is a bit like me. I reacted without knowing all that she said. They were applauding her initial words before the end. That tells you what was in their minds. The full context at that point doesnt matter. They cheered. Only she knew the rest of the story, they didnt.

And like I said, i hoped they learned just like I did. But if their initial reaction was to be happy that a white man was taken advantage of, or so it seemed, why would the all of a sudden change their tune by the end?

Either way, I apologize, and you can call it what you will. Putting my foot in my mouth or whatever. Im not so high and mighty where I cant admit I was wrong.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,678,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

But in a world that is rich vs poor, she realized that discrimination against anyone is wrong. She realized that she had to help this man, even if she didn't want to. She put her prejudices aside, which I can't say for many whites who have used discriminatory practices.

The very place she worked for has held discriminatory practices against females, blacks and Hispanics for many many years and its well documented, but I haven't heard anything about the USDA coming out against its own racist agenda.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:54 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,140,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
But in a world that is rich vs poor, she realized that discrimination against anyone is wrong. She realized that she had to help this man, even if she didn't want to. She put her prejudices aside, which I can't say for many whites who have used discriminatory practices.

The very place she worked for has held discriminatory practices against females, blacks and Hispanics for many many years and its well documented, but I haven't heard anything about the USDA coming out against its own racist agenda.
I agree.

She learned that its not the color of ones skin. Yes, her initial reaction was wrong but she overcame that. And for that, she should be applauded. If only more people could do the same, on all sides.

Many people can learn from her and this whole situation, but some will just play the usual politics games with it just to get back at "the other side".

Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
It's amazing that anyone could defend this. I am black and this really pisses me off. Did we not hear her say that "SHE DID NOT HELP HIM "FULLY"?? She abused her power....the power we gave her as a government official. Wow..........

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:

So she put her prejudices aside.... or her career path flashed before her prejudices.

And recalling her own Georgia farm experiences, she knew the best solution.

Quote:
Ms. Sherrod was appointed by Ag Sec tom Vilsack. Only days before, Ms. Sherrod and her husband with other black families won a $13 million settlement in a minority law suit over 6,000 acres of a community of black owned farm land because the USDA had failed to provide loans to the community. PLUS, Ms. Sherrod and her husband received $150k each for pain and suffering.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
AeroGuy, you are very good at saying a lot with saying only a little utilizing covert words, phrases and your opinion, that you paint as fact. To say otherwise is an insult to my intelligence.

However, I'm far from stupid and I know how to interpret what I read. There is no need for a challenge because you already know how to win this challenge. you know how to use your words carefully as to not offend outright ie. using the n word, but in subtle ways.
Seems you might be off in your "interpretation" of Aero. It's funny how often some find things that just aren't there, especially about race.

You want to find something to offend, so you do.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
She put her prejudices aside, which I can't say for many whites who have used discriminatory practices.
The epiphany came AFTER her initial reaction to the white farmer. She did the minimum aid and then sent him to his own people.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM

932 posts, read 1,678,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
It's amazing that anyone could defend this. I am black and this really pisses me off. Did we not hear her say that "SHE DID NOT HELP HIM "FULLY"?? She abused her power....the power we gave her as a government official. Wow..........
Please read the thread...She was not working for the USDA at the time, 24 years ago, when the issue at hand actually happened. She was in a position to help him however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies