Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
First off, the Christian Community center in Tehran comparison is utterly insane. This is the U.S, not Iran, we have different laws.
why? the muslim world demands that we tolerate them, while they refuse to tolerate christians and jews. sorry but what goes around comes around. personally i dont care that they want to build another mosque/community center, that is their right if they can get it through the zoning board. but will christians and jews be allowed in? how about those that believe in other religions? or atheists? chances are likely not.

the other question is who is funding this mosque/community center? why has this not been disclosed? $100 million is not an easy amount of money to come by, so there has to be a group of investors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I am still waiting for audio or video examples of a mean spirited, clearly anti-American Barack Obama spewing hatred.

I feel that many of his ideas are flat-out wrong but I do not see this obvious disgust for America that some of his more rabid enemies claim he exhibits.

Wouldn't it be better for America to try to work with him to push his ideas more towards the mainstream rather than try to destroy his presidency?
He "means well"? He is a conceited narcissist, 0bama only means well, for 0bama.

I don't think he has the empathy to mean well. He knows he is adding trillions to our national debt, he knows his carbon trading legislation will cause electrical costs to sky rocket, but he does not care.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,097 times
I consider myself to a political independent not aligning with the tags liberal or conservative.

While I disagree with a lot of Obamas agenda and tactics, I do find him to be caring, articulate, intelligent, and a decent man.

There a lot of the Presidents haters on this thread--------are these same haters missing the incompetence and ineptness of W?????? The image of this country still hasnt recovered from the massive incompetence and blundering W spewed forth with his handling of foreign diplomacy.

Yes as I stated I cringe a some of the agenda set forth by the President. That being said, when saying that he is a narcissist, please attend a tea party meeting or rally and than rephrase narcissism.

There is no sense of unity or pledge to set the right course for this country any longer------it has strictly turned into a nauseating game of partisan politics and bickering. A lot of Americans have lost interest in the political process because they simply believe the system is broken and cant be fixed. A lot of people believe that anything constructive can not be effected in this country any longer----trying will get you villified on the premiere radio network, Faux News, or CNN.

The process in now on verge on total shambles and disrepair-----it is disconcerting.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Can we at least agree that President Obama means well?

Why? My puppy means well, but she still sh*ts all over the carpet.

Good intentions...I hear they have a saying about that...

Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He "means well"? He is a conceited narcissist, 0bama only means well, for 0bama.

I don't think he has the empathy to mean well. He knows he is adding trillions to our national debt, he knows his carbon trading legislation will cause electrical costs to sky rocket, but he does not care.
Exactly. He, his cronies, and his constituents care more about making history than making sense.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM

33 posts, read 57,368 times
How do we arrive at our conclusions about Obama? Check this out, and then decide.

http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/2010/08/patton-barack-obama-is-no-failure.php

Avoid single issue considerations in forming an opinion. Check them all, and then decide. And, remember, just because something has not happened before, does not mean that it can't happen at all. One clue, which I admit influences my outlook, is that he will not answer questions about his past in detail. He, or any president owes us that much.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why? the muslim world demands that we tolerate them, while they refuse to tolerate christians and jews. sorry but what goes around comes around. personally i dont care that they want to build another mosque/community center, that is their right if they can get it through the zoning board. but will christians and jews be allowed in? how about those that believe in other religions? or atheists? chances are likely not.

the other question is who is funding this mosque/community center? why has this not been disclosed? $100 million is not an easy amount of money to come by, so there has to be a group of investors.

Again, its a totally different country. Its not about, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, its about different countries accepting different things. Unless you feel we should lower the bar to Iran level than your comparisons are asinine.

As far as Christian, Jews or other groups not being able to get past the zoning board, you are simply making up stuff without anything to back up your claims. Much as the way you did (and wrongly) and about the reason the permits for the Church were denied.

Regarding the funding, Bloomberg pretty much summed it up best, if it was anything other than an Islamic Community Center the funding issue would not even be asked.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I am still waiting for audio or video examples of a mean spirited, clearly anti-American Barack Obama spewing hatred.

I feel that many of his ideas are flat-out wrong but I do not see this obvious disgust for America that some of his more rabid enemies claim he exhibits.

Wouldn't it be better for America to try to work with him to push his ideas more towards the mainstream rather than try to destroy his presidency?
I don't think Obama "means" anything. He's too obsessed with golfing, vacationing and lecturing the ignorant masses, all the while admiring his mom jeans in the mirror to care one way or the other about anything but himself.

He's pretty much gotten what he's always wanted. The prize of the Presidency, the assurance that he's financially set for life, and knowing that he will be given a certain amount of respect when he's a former president.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Again, its a totally different country. Its not about, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, its about different countries accepting different things. Unless you feel we should lower the bar to Iran level than your comparisons are asinine.
first, iran and other muslim countries demand that we tolerate islam, and want us to accept sharia law, but they wont tolerate our laws, or tolerate our religions. i dont care about iran or other islamic countries being different countries, if the leaders of those countries demand that we tolerate them, then let them take steps to tolerate us.

Quote:
As far as Christian, Jews or other groups not being able to get past the zoning board, you are simply making up stuff without anything to back up your claims. Much as the way you did (and wrongly) and about the reason the permits for the Church were denied.
when did i say anything about christian and jews not being able to get things past the zoning boards? in fact i did not. i asked if the mosque/community center is built, will christians and jews or people of other religions be allowed in? the answer to that is likely not. you can be any religion, and walk into a christian church or jewish synagogue and be welcomed. in fact you can walk into a buddhist temple, or a shinto shrine and be welcomed, but unless you are a muslim, you cannot just walk into a mosque and be welcomed. as for the greek orthodox church that was destroyed, why hasnt the zoning board allowed the church to be reconstructed?

Quote:
Regarding the funding, Bloomberg pretty much summed it up best, if it was anything other than an Islamic Community Center the funding issue would not even be asked.
that is because funding for christian churches and jewish synagogues generally dont come from questionable sources.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
first, iran and other muslim countries demand that we tolerate islam, and want us to accept sharia law, but they wont tolerate our laws, or tolerate our religions. i dont care about iran or other islamic countries being different countries, if the leaders of those countries demand that we tolerate them, then let them take steps to tolerate us.
Yes, and you know what, that is what makes this country better than the others. We tolerate those that are different. We shouldn't be sinking down to their level.

Quote:
when did i say anything about christian and jews not being able to get things past the zoning boards? in fact i did not. i asked if the mosque/community center is built, will christians and jews or people of other religions be allowed in? the answer to that is likely not. you can be any religion, and walk into a christian church or jewish synagogue and be welcomed. in fact you can walk into a buddhist temple, or a shinto shrine and be welcomed, but unless you are a muslim, you cannot just walk into a mosque and be welcomed. as for the greek orthodox church that was destroyed, why hasnt the zoning board allowed the church to be reconstructed?
Again more baseless criticism. You do not need to be a Muslim to enter a Mosque. Secondly, I answered the question about the Greek Orthodox Church the first time you asked the question in this thread (which you ignored) and its been something that has been answered over and over again. The Greek Orthodox Church plans to rebuild the Church would have had a direct impact on the ongoing Construction at the site and the Freedom Tower as a result it was denied. Due to the fact the Community Center was several blocks away from the site and not at the site its construction would have no impact on the current construction

Quote:

that is because funding for christian churches and jewish synagogues generally dont come from questionable sources.
And funding from Mosque's generally come from questionable sources?? Laws don't change because you feel the need to discriminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies