Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And maybe they knew exactly what was going to occur.
I know many people have tremendous fear of learning and being exposed to other information; but really, information is information.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Since there's no proof of any god-thing to begin with...

Your fear-based comment has not been shown to have any credibility.
You are assuming something because that's how you want it to be.
Where's the link stating that parents were mad?

Why would anyone mind their kids being exposed to other religions? Seriously, what's the fear?
From exposure comes understanding.
Understanding defeats ignorance and fear.
Win - Win.

THIS JUST IN: Liberals have no problem with religious instruction being funded by tax payer dollars during regular school hours. The decades long conflict is over as liberals announce church and state intermingling is just dandy!

So Christian prayer is fine in the public schools as long as the parents approve?

Those who don't want to participate can go stand in the hall until it's over?

Psst! You might want to tuck that in...your hypocrisy is showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That doesn't even make sense. Such convoluted thinking. It's incredible, really.
Projecting again?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And maybe they knew exactly what was going to occur.
I know many people have tremendous fear of learning and being exposed to other information; but really, information is information.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Since there's no proof of any god-thing to begin with...

Your fear-based comment has not been shown to have any credibility.
You are assuming something because that's how you want it to be.
Where's the link stating that parents were mad?

Why would anyone mind their kids being exposed to other religions? Seriously, what's the fear?
From exposure comes understanding.
Understanding defeats ignorance and fear.
Win - Win.

I don't think there is any fear here at all. It's all about the parents right and responsibility to raise their children as they see fit.

You can read about a variety of religions in school text books. You don't have to pray to some other God to learn about other religions.

Maybe you don't understand the issue because you don't have a faith. People with faith are extremely upset when their kids are surreptitiously herded into praying to another God. This is strictly forbidden by most religions.

So yes, it is a very big deal and has nothing to do with fear.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sorry, TomDot. It happened. We walked out of school, got on the school buses, and were taken to catechism. Twice a week. The majority of the school was Catholic, but it was a public school. No nuns were teaching. Though the playground was segregated, girls on one side, boys on the other. No one was compelled to get on the buses going to catechism. But the public school system did provided busing for those who did want to go. And many parents took advantage of it, because it was an after-school program that helped a lot of parents who worked until 5pm and didn't want children left home alone.
I just cannot understand how this happened at all. My mother taught CCD for over twenty years, I attended CCD until I was 16, and nothing even remotely resembling what you describe occurred. I can't even imagine how this was paid for.
For some background, I grew up in the 70's and 80's.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I just cannot understand how this happened at all. My mother taught CCD for over twenty years, I attended CCD until I was 16, and nothing even remotely resembling what you describe occurred. I can't even imagine how this was paid for.
For some background, I grew up in the 70's and 80's.
This happened about 1970. I don't want to provide tons of details, because I value my privacy, but I attended Prospect Hill Elementary in Westfield, and catechism instruction was at St Mary's.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yet, when kids were "going through the motions" of a prayer before a HS football game..people became outraged over separation of Church and State.

A bit of hypocrisy there I'd say since the ACLU got all over the prayer.
A prayer before a game wasn't converting anyone either..would you agree ?
And where does the ACLU stand on this visit to a mosque? You can google if you want and find out. You can find comments by the Executive Director Massachusetts chapter of the ACLU. You can find out what the ACLU intends to do regarding this incident.

But to complain of hypocrisy on the part of the ACLU just because you don't happen to know what they're doing, and what they will do, regarding a story that has just broken is jumping the gun, don't you think? And given that the ACLU routinely intercedes on behalf of Christians and conservatives in Establishment Clause issues, I won't be at all surprised when they take necessary action here.

As for me, this looks like a blatant Establishment Clause violation and I hope the school district is forced to stop this sort of activity. By suit, if necessary.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Wong Apologizes In Wake of Inflammatory Video - Wellesley, MA Patch

Quote:
On the tape, in which the voice of the "mother" is actually a "reenactment," a woman can be heard whispering "Oh my God," as the video shows what appears to be the students praying with other men.
The woman portraying the mother can then be heard saying, "I was shaking as I saw one of the Jewish boys praying."
The woman then says, "I looked at the teachers to do something, say something. No one said anything, perhaps afraid to offend."
This has the earmarks of a set-up-for-a-lawsuit doesn't it?? How many people who saw that video thought, and still think, it was actually the parent saying those words heard on the tape? The actual mother is hiding behind anonymity while figuring out if she can make some money off this.

Wellesley parents seem to support students' mosque trip - Wellesley - Your Town - Boston.com

Quote:
Hind Rakin, a Muslim, is the mother of a Wellesley sixth grader. She said she plans to allow her daughter to attend interfaith field trips and had already allowed her to experience services at a Jewish temple.
I dislike people when people get offended on behalf of others. The parents of the five boys are really the only ones who matter.

And yes, they do go to other churches as part of these voluntary field trips. It has the support of those who go to the school. Isn't that enough or do we need to vilify them all as bad parents in order to justify our outrage?

Just a thought.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Wong Apologizes In Wake of Inflammatory Video - Wellesley, MA Patch

This has the earmarks of a set-up-for-a-lawsuit doesn't it?? How many people who saw that video thought, and still think, it was actually the parent saying those words heard on the tape? The actual mother is hiding behind anonymity while figuring out if she can make some money off this.

Wellesley parents seem to support students' mosque trip - Wellesley - Your Town - Boston.com

I dislike people when people get offended on behalf of others. The parents of the five boys are really the only ones who matter.

And yes, they do go to other churches as part of these voluntary field trips. It has the support of those who go to the school. Isn't that enough or do we need to vilify them all as bad parents in order to justify our outrage?

Just a thought.
Well, then how do you feel about schools introducing the students to faiths?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
So now the Dems are ok with public schools taking field trips to churches and participating in prayer services ?

Say..did you also change your minds about the prayer before HS football games start ?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM

70 posts, read 40,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So now the Dems are ok with public schools taking field trips to churches and participating in prayer services ?

Say..did you also change your minds about the prayer before HS football games start ?
If it was a Islamic prayer before the football, these liberals would consider it a cultural act and a learning opportunity. However, a Christian prayer goes against the Establishment Clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies