Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 AM

38,074 posts, read 22,234,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A Rutgers University freshman posted a goodbye message on his Facebook page before jumping to his death after his roommate secretly filmed him during a "sexual encounter" in his dorm room and posted it live on the Internet.

Victim of Secret Dorm Sex Tape Commits Suicide - ABC News
Modern technology is giving people the power to act out on an impulse or a whim, and instantaneously forever change the lives of ourselves, or the lives of others. Back in the days of lesser technology, we used to have time for some inner reflection before we said or did something stupid. Now we have to worry that whatever we do could end up instantly transmitted across the entire planet and stored on redundant backup.

Some of us are shutting down, being evasive or not wishing to interact with people with the freedom we would like to, and some of us are doing the most outrageous things in order to get noticed, and claim our 15 minutes of fame.

As this story illustrates, some of us are using technology to target and destroy the lives of other people. I'm not sure what this person was trying to accomplish; was it the destruction of the poor kid who jumped, or was he trying to inflate his own warped image and lend himself some sort of twisted notoriety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,915 times
OMG!!! What a bunch of whiney people!!! "I hope the roommate's get prosecuted to the full extent..." What? Are you kidding me? Granted, video taping the "encounter," was in poor taste, however, the "adult" who killed himself, OBVIOUSLY had more issues then being gay. In this day and age, being gay isn't a big deal at all; especially on a college campus. Obviously, his roommate who taped it knew, which mean half the world knew.

This "adult," needed to grow up and grow a pair. If he thinks this is the hardest issue which was, and I do mean WAS, going to face him, he doesn't have what it takes to live in this world, and before he became a bumbling, drunken, medicated idiot, drooling on himself somewhere, its just better he be gone now. Yeah, I know the hatred which will spew, however, most people will realize I am correct.

This "adult," had way more issues then being caught having a sex with a male. I'm not sorry one bit he is gone. Saved us alot of headaches for the future.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,247,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Just saw this on the news.......so sad!
I hope the idiot roommate and his accomplice are prosecuted to the fullest extent.
Accomplice to what? They are guilty of filming someone, if that's even a crime.

That he killed himself is HIS fault. He's obviously mentally unbalanced if he kills himself over anything, let alone that.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM

The roommate had a right to be in the room at all times. Would the guy had killed himself had the roommate actually been there?

This guy was mentally ill. It sucks, but that's life. He killed himself. THe roommate was a douche. That's part of life. My roomate once punched me in the balls so hard I vomited. Did I open the window and jump out?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,953,836 times
Despite the insensitivity in this thread, I am sure that the roommate regrets taping him. When he did so, I am sure that his intention was not to drive the boy to commit suicide. Either way, it is wrong to tape someone without their consent. Period. Mentally imbalanced or not, this was wrong. what if it were your daughter? I am sure you wouldn't think that taping her having sex was no big deal.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Despite the insensitivity in this thread, I am sure that the roommate regrets taping him. When he did so, I am sure that his intention was not to drive the boy to commit suicide. Either way, it is wrong to tape someone without their consent. Period. Mentally imbalanced or not, this was wrong. what if it were your daughter? I am sure you wouldn't think that taping her having sex was no big deal.
If it's wrong to tape someone without their consent, do you feel it's wrong with the media does the hidden camera to do an expose, given they are doing it solely for ratings and to make money for the network? Is that any better than these kids who had no such motivation?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If it's wrong to tape someone without their consent, do you feel it's wrong with the media does the hidden camera to do an expose, given they are doing it solely for ratings and to make money for the network? Is that any better than these kids who had no such motivation?
Are you seriously comparing someone taping someone having sex in a dorm room to the media? Let me ask you this again, how would you feel if someone taped your daugter having sex or undressing without her knowledge then posted it on line? How about if someone put a camera in your shower and then posted it online? How about someone taping you and your wife having sex and putting it online? Please don't act like you would be okay with it. YES IT IS WRONG TO TAPE PEOPLE WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT, ESPECIALLY IN A PRIVATE PLACE DOING A PRIVATE THING. What a shame...you are seriously lacking in the comapssion and empathy departments.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,346 times
Quote:
Are you seriously comparing someone taping someone having sex in a dorm room to the media? Let me ask you this again, how would you feel if someone taped your daugter having sex or undressing without her knowledge then posted it on line? How about if someone put a camera in your shower and then posted it online? How about someone taping you and your wife having sex and putting it online? Please don't act like you would be okay with it. YES IT IS WRONG TO TAPE PEOPLE WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT, ESPECIALLY IN A PRIVATE PLACE DOING A PRIVATE THING. What a shame...you are seriously lacking in the comapssion and empathy departments.
Or ... don't put that thing in your mouth .

Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but it's a state school. You don't really have any expectation of privacy. RAs can come into your room and search for alcohol or drugs if they want. If you have ever lived in a dorm, especially in a state school, you'd understand a little better that that's no such thing as privacy there. When I was in college, we had a "gay peeper" that would open the shower curtain on you and take a picture and run away.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Or ... don't put that thing in your mouth .
What are you talking about? I don't care what they were doing. Again, taping someone doing a private thing, in a private place is wrong! How would you like it if it was done to you. Do you plan to be a life long virgin? If not it could happen to you to and I am sure you wouldn't find it amusing or to be so insensitive about it. How do you think his parents feel? He probably had parents like the insensitive idiots on these forums and I am sure they regret it now. There is a woman who's son committed suicide because his parents disowned him when he came out. She is now an activist who regrets the way she treated him. I guess things have to happen to some people personally before they get it. SMDH...some of you are socially underdeveloped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies