Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R
A little bit on my family history. On my fathers side of the family no one that I know of is gay. On my mothers side of the family it goes back to as far as we can trace the family roots into the 1700's. I am gay [I was never molested,by the way]. I've always had these feelings from as early as my memory serves me. Each of my mother's siblings has a gay child and
my cousins on her side of the family have all had at least one gay child and a couple have had two. There were uncles and aunts who lived with people of the same sex but never were married all throughout our family tree. I know this is genetic. Our family realizes that it is genetic. We have proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It is the same in my family, the gay gene, if there is one, is on my Moms side. I remember reading somewhere once that women that produced gay children were also prolific in their production. My Mom had 7 with 3 miss carriages, my grandmother only had 4 because she did not like sex and was very prudish, her mother had 13 surviving children. From what I know of my Dads, which is only a little, there are no gays or lesbians that I have heard of.

I have heard of this far too often for it to be some strange coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:37 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If your straight of course you were born that way, it's just common sense that you would be, nature produces a male and female so the species will survive, you see a man has a penis and a woman has a vagina, these are there for a reason if not we would all be extinct. There would be no purpose in being born homosexual, a mans penis is not meant to go into a mans butt, You see that would make no sense and it is illogical, we are not black flamingos we are not monkeys we are humans and we know better if you don't then your very confused, it's a simple concept.
Essentially every higher animal species has a non-reproductive segment (often homosexual). Here's a non-homosexual example: worker bees. Then there are situations of polyandry (many males mating with only one female - so 3, 4, 5, 6, males only produce 1 child, and then the multiple males collectively raise that one child). Polyandry is very common in primates. How do you explain why nature produced such things?

Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If your straight of course you were born that way, it's just common sense that you would be, nature produces a male and female so the species will survive, you see a man has a penis and a woman has a vagina, these are there for a reason if not we would all be extinct. There would be no purpose in being born homosexual, a mans penis is not meant to go into a mans butt, You see that would make no sense and it is illogical, we are not black flamingos we are not monkeys we are humans and we know better if you don't then your very confused, it's a simple concept.
And it would be no more a choice than if I was BORN gay. But I wasn't. There is no "choice" in these matters! By the way...if I happen to enjoy anal sex with a woman, is that still "wrong"? I have no interest in reproducing, by the way--never wanted kids.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Genetics can link to physical characteristics of an infant. Blue eyed, yes, red hair yes, likely to have diabetes, yes, skin tone pigmentation, yes. However, genetics used to determine 'human behavior', the vote is still out on that one.

We choose to do that which was never intended by nature.
Kinsey? Please child, the 1940's were a looooong time ago. Hell, I wasn't even born yet and i'm a grandma!

Go to: borngay.procon.org

They have theories galore. About the only theory I didn't see was one attributing sexual orientation to extra-terrestrial genetic manipulation.

Maybe they just haven't published yet.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, your personal experience is a sample of 1. That's indicative of essentially nothing.

Also, the prevailing theory is it's polygenic (multiple genes) dependent on environmental influences (such as in utero hormonal exposure). Many human characteristics are like this: height, handedness, type 1 diabetes, etc. Twin studies really elucidate these types of situations. If 1 identical twin has juvenile diabetes, the other twin has it only about 50% of the time - despite having all the genes necessary for it. If one 1 identical twin is left-handed, the other twin is also left-handed 75% of the time. If one identical twin is gay, the other twin is gay 50% of the time (even in twins that are raised separately).

Under this theory, if you and your husband (it's believed to be mostly follow maternal lines) don't pass along the required combination of genes, no matter how many kids you have and no matter their hormonal exposure, none of them will be gay. Even if your kid (or kids) have all the genes necessary to become homosexual, there is no guarantee they will ever be expressed (turned on). The research shows that the more kids a women has, the more likely it is they are turned on. Research also show that the more kids a women has, the more the hormonal environment in the womb changes (generally less testosterone, more estrogen). At this point it's an interesting correlation - no causation has been proven.
I was being sarcastic!!!

Had one of my kids been gay,my concern would not have been why or how. My concern would be the same for all of them.

Are they healthy?

Are they happy?

Well adjusted?

To me anyway, that's all that counts. I'm pretty darn sure 'gay' isn't contagious, never ran across a recruiting office either.

Nature is diverse for a reason!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Well,based on personal experience alone, I have to disagree. I have 5 kids and none of them are gay.
None that you know about........

Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I came to the born gay(sort of) conclusion since I have yet to see a gay person become straight. There are stories of gays going to pastors to help them get rid of their "sinful" sexual desires, but at the same breath they still have gay thoughts. Plus there are cases of animals being involve in homosexual activity. Since we humans are biologically animals too, then that means we are not immune. Even the mentally challenged can have gay urges.

Also I don't necessarily believe someone is born gay, but rather a person's sexual orientation is determined at an early age when the person develops butterflies for another human being or conscious enough to know the difference between male and female. As humans when we're born, are brains aren't developed enough to know what we like or prefer. I think between the ages 5 and 12 is when most humans know what sex they exclusively like or like best.
I would have to disagree with the bolded. Just because it is between those ages when humans begin to recognize their feelings, does not necessarily mean that is when those feelings first began. A boy at five might begin to understand (recognize) that he likes boys better than girls, but he most likely always did prefer boys to girls.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I HAVE asked a psychologist and he said that with the exception of a very few, homosexuals are NOT born that way. It is the result of early molestation. The psychiatric diagnosis being removed was the result of political maneuvering. So now those needing and wanting help find it is not covered by their insurance.That is what I have been told by a PhD Psychologist. Sad.
So the 'psychologist' you talked to obviously disagrees with the APA. Let me guess - he's a member of NARTH?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But it does seem that men in prison can turn to gay realtionships when never gay before i their lifes. basically i really don;t care myslef why a perosn is as he is. If they think that means I approve of gay marriage becuase of this they are flat wrong.
It always amazes me when someone tries to equate the power relationships of prison life to the loving relationships of homosexuality.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
It always amazes me when someone tries to equate the power relationships of prison life to the loving relationships of homosexuality.
It always astounds me that anyone tries to equate anything having to do with prisons to the outside world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies