Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
The reason we hear so much about pit bulls attacking and seriously injuring or killing people is because they do it so much more often than any other breed.....
We hear a lot about them killing simply because they are large animals capable of doing a lot of damage. What you don't hear is all the attacks from smaller dogs that are much more aggressive than large dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Who are you really going to trust. Wikipedia or the Gov cdc? Sorry i am going to listen to the gov CDC over any Wikipedia link
There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.

CDC - Dog Bite: Facts
I'm going to give this one to Wikipedia. The CDC report muddies the water by saying that we don't know how many dogs of each breed there actually are and they mention that a large majority of attacks are not reported.

That may be true, but this isn't rocket science. I'm going to employ some common sense. When I look at the reported dog attack fatalities from numerous sources, pit bulls, invariably top the list. Rottweilers are second on every list.

As I stated before, it's not because of media bias that we hear of so many horrible pit bull attacks and fatalities, it's because Golden Retrievers and Pomeranians don't kill someone every month or two like pit bulls do.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
What race, as a percentage of the whole, commits more violent crimes in our society? Would it be cool to call for their extinction?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
I'm going to give this one to Wikipedia. The CDC report muddies the water by saying that we don't know how many dogs of each breed there actually are and they mention that a large majority of attacks are not reported.

That may be true, but this isn't rocket science. I'm going to employ some common sense. When I look at the reported dog attack fatalities from numerous sources, pit bulls, invariably top the list. Rottweilers are second on every list.

As I stated before, it's not because of media bias that we hear of so many horrible pit bull attacks and fatalities, it's because Golden Retrievers and Pomeranians don't kill someone every month or two like pit bulls do.
Too bad "common sense" doesn't tell you that pit bull attacks sell papers and thus are the ones most reported upon.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:

Really?? You're certainly entitled to your own pre-conceived opinion, but wikipedia? And what's with their list.. they claim "pit bull type". What is a pit bull "type"? So any dog that could potentially have pit in them or slightly look like a pit is clumped into those statistics? Sounds pretty scientific, not. Did you know there are dozens of breeds that are often confused with pit bulls?

If you don't like pits, then don't own one but there's no need to demonize the entire breed based on irrational fears. Use common sense. Any and all dog breeds can potentially be dangerous.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Dad: Dog That Killed Baby 'Very Loving' - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/25516673/detail.html - broken link)

So sad!

And in a separate attack on Monday, a 5 yr. old Florida boy was attacked by a pit bull who then was shot after charging at police officers.

I know that even if 10 children were fatally attacked by pit bulls in Florida on the same day, there are those people who would continue to say, "It's all about how you raise them."

Yet, as the number of children severely wounded or killed by this particular breed continues to rise, those words sound more hollow.

I appreciate you trying to enlighten pit bull lovers but thread after thread has proven they are unenlightenable.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ilized-96.html

Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Too bad "common sense" doesn't tell you that pit bull attacks sell papers and thus are the ones most reported upon.

Here's where the common sense comes in: as horrible as it is to hear about another pit bull fatality, if a lab or a sheltie kills someone, that would be news which would sell a lot more papers, because it's so unlikely.

Unless you believe there's some grand cover up going on designed to protect labs and shelties.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Here's where the common sense comes in: as horrible as it is to hear about another pit bull fatality, if a lab or a sheltie kills someone, that would be news which would sell a lot more papers, because it's so unlikely.

Unless you believe there's some grand cover up going on designed to protect labs and shelties.
I think it is easy to demonize any breed that was originally bred to be a protector or an attacking breed. In this specific case, and so many of the other reported attacks involving the mauling or deaths of children, the problem is irresponsible owners failing to properly contain/pen their dogs.

I guess you can, as so many do, try to turn this into an emotion based issue rather than one using logic. I'm not the type to fall for that kind of baiting. Small dogs in general are often nippy and responsible for a significant number of bites to young children.

Again, the adults shouldn't be leaving children alone with the dogs or allowing dogs the access to areas/bedrooms with small children and infants. This tragic death of this 3 day old infant could have been avoided if the owner had put the dog into a kennel before she got into the shower instead of allowing it the freedom to roam into the infants bedroom and attack it in its bed. In the end it is the parents who are responsible for the safety of their children, not the dog or the dog's breed.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Dad: Dog That Killed Baby 'Very Loving' - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/25516673/detail.html - broken link)

So sad!

And in a separate attack on Monday, a 5 yr. old Florida boy was attacked by a pit bull who then was shot after charging at police officers.

I know that even if 10 children were fatally attacked by pit bulls in Florida on the same day, there are those people who would continue to say, "It's all about how you raise them."

Yet, as the number of children severely wounded or killed by this particular breed continues to rise, those words sound more hollow.
Pit bulls suck, but not nearly as bad as most of their owners. Visit an animal shelter and you'll find about 50% are pits.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Touch my dog. He'd be far more favorable to you than I would with your genocidal ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies