Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM

30 posts, read 22,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If your male go toss on a dress and head out in public, see how you will be treated then multiply that by 100% because children can be very cruel to each other.
I agree, kids (and adults) can be very, very cruel. And to an extent I agree with you, the woman should protect her child from the type of ridicule he will no doubt endure (especially since this whole thing has gone to the media and viral). I guess what the sad part is, is that IF this is who the child really is (wants to wear dresses and sparkly things) that he (and any child with such feelings) has to deny that part of themselves. Because the act of dressing up in girls clothes is not harmful in itself..its just the reaction from others judgments that is harmful..and that is what I think is sad about this.

I pretty much feel sorry for this kid. Due to media and video, he's forever going to be known as "that kid who dresses up in girl clothes" and like you said, society can be cruel. Society has not embraced/accepted such differences yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
When my youngest grandson was 2 years old he received some Spiderman pajamas for Christmas. He absolutely LOVED those Spiderman pjs and wanted to wear them 24/7. He wanted to wear them to church. He wanted to wear them to pre-school. He wanted to wear them to the grocery store. He never wanted to take them off. And when his parents wouldn't let him wear them to those places he had a hissy fit. According to some on here, their refusal to let him "express himself" by wearing Spiderman pjs all the time should have ruined his life. Strangely enough he is, at 14, an honor roll student, top student athlete, has more friends then any kid I've ever known, and is happy, healthy, and well adjusted. He just isn't Spiderman.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
When my youngest grandson was 2 years old he received some Spiderman pajamas for Christmas. He absolutely LOVED those Spiderman pjs and wanted to wear them 24/7. He wanted to wear them to church. He wanted to wear them to pre-school. He wanted to wear them to the grocery store. He never wanted to take them off. And when his parents wouldn't let him wear them to those places he had a hissy fit. According to some on here, their refusal to let him "express himself" by wearing Spiderman pjs all the time should have ruined his life. Strangely enough he is, at 14, an honor roll student, top student athlete, has more friends then any kid I've ever known, and is happy, healthy, and well adjusted. He just isn't Spiderman.
Absolutely correct

Last edited by Roaddog; 11-09-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
Who was in charge? the parents or the child? Did he get his way? if so then he was in charge, Frigging amazing.

Thats nothing like wearing a dress. I see grown women in stores wearing PJ's but I have never seen a man in a dress in a store. I would laugh if I did and so would 99% of the people and thats no situation to put a child in.
You obviously didn't actually read what I wrote very carefully. The whole POINT was that, even though my 2 year old grandson WANTED to wear Spiderman PJs all the time, HIS PARENTS WOULD NOT LET HIM DO SO, and yet he still managed to grow up to be a healthy, successful, happy teen...even though his desire to be Spiderman was thwarted by his parents. In other words, a 2 year old child has parents for a reason...THEY AREN'T ABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR THEMSELVES.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You obviously didn't actually read what I wrote very carefully. The whole POINT was that, even though my 2 year old grandson WANTED to wear Spiderman PJs all the time, HIS PARENTS WOULD NOT LET HIM DO SO, and yet he still managed to grow up to be a healthy, successful, happy teen...even though his desire to be Spiderman was thwarted by his parents. In other words, a 2 year old child has parents for a reason...THEY AREN'T ABLE TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR THEMSELVES.
LOL I'm sorry, I read it three times and still mis understood, I apologize for my stupidity and you are absolutly right. I'm diabetic and when the blood sugar goes high I can get confused, agian I'm sorry for that.

Last edited by Roaddog; 11-09-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Your analogies are such BS. Tell me, if you can, just who or what is harmed by allowing a 5-year-old to wear clothes he finds comfortable and 'pretty'? Or even a 10-year-old or older? Who does it harm? and how does it harm them?
talk about bs - its going to mess up and confuse this kid as he grows! and tell me miss i know it all about gays and transgender and bible and everything else you tote to know all about even though "say" your not gay yoruself, when do you set rules and boundaries? when do you say this is not right. where do you draw the line? nowhere according to you right? just let them do whatever they want when ever they want right.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,653 times
Quote:
Dressing up at home with a towel on his head and in your shoes is a little different than dressing as a girl all the time and going out in public, no one cares if he's gay or a cross dresser when he grows up, nobody really cares what HE does now. It's a matter that his parents dressed him as a girl and that’s wrong, he should have been told how he is suppose to dress that’s what parents do they protect their children from harm and making the wrong decision which a 3 year old is in no position to do at such a young age.
Then later in life if he decides he wants to wear a dress fine for him
A 2 year old doesn’t tell his parents what he will wear, his brain does not understand the consequences of his choice, his parents fail to protect him and guild him, they bought the clothes and dressed him.
exactly right, this will only hurt him by confusing him in the future. sure boys wearing moms high heels is not a big deal cause no one made it a big deal but this whole thing has been put into the public, media, schools and blown way up where it shouldnt have ever gone.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
She needs to learn to accept her son as he is and not try and make up for the fact that she didn't have a girl.
Exactly, and maybe that's the reason she allows him to dress like a girl because that's the way he feels comfortable. I'm not saying dressing a 5 year old like a girl is right. Truth be told, if I were in that situation, I'd tell my son to give it another 10 years and if he still feels the same way then dress how you wish. But learning to accept a son as he is means letting him dress as he pleases, letting him be who he wants to be, date who he wants to date, etc. Let's try to get past this myopic, antiquated idea of what roles boys and girls should play.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,751,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That's not the problem Kele. The problem is the mother, who is presumably an adult, wants to perpetuate it.
BTW, none of the gay men I know wear dresses.
My pediatrician told me that the more I made a fuss about it and tried to keep my son from playing dress up in my clothes, the more attractive it would become. If I allowed him to continue to do so as long as he wanted to, chances were that he'd grow out of it.

He did.

Personally, I think this mother is doing the right thing. Just because she chose to write about it does not mean that she has forever condemned her son to a life in dresses. When he's tired of it, he'll stop. If he never tires of it, he won't. Either way, he'll be who he's going to be regardless of whether he's wearing jeans or a jumper.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Seems to me the problem isn't so much that a this child wants to wear dresses. It's that society at large would judge and/or tease him for doing so. Life is not black and white, it's mostly gray. Why can't we just quit trying to fit people into boxes they don't want to be in? Live and let live. This wouldn't be such an issue if kids were taught from the get go to accept people for who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies