Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Were there laws on the books preventing your italian grandparents and/or parents from living/eating/working where they chose to? And at the end of the day, Italians were still considered white by law. Other white people might have called them "dark" but the law sure didn't.
The police and churches held the power at that time. People lost jobs by the word of a priest. They weren't protected by civil rights.

Racism isn't about the color of your skin, it's about the attitude of constantly claiming racism and about those of ANY color who hold themselves down by using racism as a crutch.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:55 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
There is absolutely no conspiracy designed to keep black people poor. The very idea is crazy at best, and a poor excuse for personal failure related to an individual's shortcomings and poor decision making at worst.
Jim Crow Laws against blacks were a national political conspiracy against Black Americans.
Today, there may not be a per se conspiracy against black people, but there is and always have been institutionalized racism against blacks.

Last edited by dorado0359; 11-13-2010 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is exactly why job discrimination exists. Why do you assume that the minority isn't as qualified as the white person? Unless the currently minority-run fortune 500 (the key word being fortune 500) are all crashing and burning, where's your proof? You just unwittingly stated the real reason why whites control a disproportionate amount of the businesses; our culture tells us that white people are more qualified simply by being white. You're not even white but you were still comfortable saying this...
WHAT??? You want a minority to have as many CEOs as the majority?

There is no racism today in the US! Probably there is some discrimination (very little and very rare) but a minority will always face some discrimination. (it happens everywhere no matter the race, sex, religion, and so on... the minority will be discriminated).

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
WHAT??? You want a minority to have as many CEOs as the majority?

There is no racism today in the US! Probably there is some discrimination (very little and very rare) but a minority will always face some discrimination. (it happens everywhere no matter the race, sex, religion, and so on... the minority will be discriminated).

... Do people ever read whats before the post they quote to not take it out of context? Just thinking out loud.

READ: America is 80% white yet 96.3% of the Fortune 500 companies are ran by white people. Minorities (asians, blacks, hispanics, etc.) despite making up 20% of the population, only run 3.7% of the Fortune 500 companies. The distribution is far from proportional.

As for the second part of your post... When your own government tries to make money primarily off of your plight (read: crack epidemic) I feel like I'm justified to have very little faith in the government's integrity.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Maybe you should read some history, some authors like her, and get your information from something other than Fox News, Limbaugh and Beck.
Are you one of those people who thinks nothing can be known unless someone put it on the news or in print. Some of us have learned from personal experience. My mother read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and although she had never met a black person, she was very sympathetic to their cause. I had never met a black person until I graduated high school and moved to other areas. The opinion that I have formed from being around these people is that the most racist people in America are black. They just cannot let it go. I will admit that I cannot understand the black cause. I see no reason for there to be one.

Charles Stanley wrote a book on "Forgiveness" and addressed an "unforgiving spirit." That is where you hold on to the wrongs done to you (or in this case, the ancestors) and keep wanting to hurt those that you think hurt you rather than forgive them and move on. I think the black people or anyone else who keep on mentioning things that were done to them in the past, even though it no longer exists, are practicing this "unforgiving spirit." An "unforgiving spirit" will destroy an individual or a race of people if they keep being unforgiving. It is time for the person who thinks his black friends are selling out, to start looking at things in the right manner and realize that his friends are just moving on and start moving on himself. To keep being angry at other citizens of this country is a self-destructive act. But it is your choice and what you do about it is up to you.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Blacks, Hispanics, gays, etc. do not base their hurt feelings on their ancestors. They base it on the present. The past is history and we all learn from history. Just like Jews have to be cautious around certain groups of people because of history.

The majority of the people who have discriminated against me are white people. What type of discrimination? Different treatment e.g., lying to make me the butt of a joke but not doing that others, making it deliberately difficult to befriend or act friendly with, withholding information, starting arguments, making snide body language that a stupid punk teen would make, shouting, accusing, being called gay when they don't even know me, etc. That's current day discrimination that I experienced mainly from white Anglo people and rarely from rude older mean black feminist women who have a chip on their shoulder.

You say to forgive and let it go? So if somebody harms you with harassment or what not do you not call the police and want them to rot in prison or jail? That seems to be the attitude of white people. White Anglo people can harass all they want. But you cannot harass back or they will call the police on you. Or do you mediate and work it out, ask they correct the mistakes, and forgive?

White Anglo people want a docile and subservient minority class. They do not want the minorities to expose and change corruption or hostility. Whites want to keep their privilege. It's a crutch or training wheels that they never took of their bicycle. They are virtually impotent and feeble without their training wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Charles Stanley wrote a book on "Forgiveness" and addressed an "unforgiving spirit." That is where you hold on to the wrongs done to you (or in this case, the ancestors) and keep wanting to hurt those that you think hurt you rather than forgive them and move on. I think the black people or anyone else who keep on mentioning things that were done to them in the past, even though it no longer exists, are practicing this "unforgiving spirit." An "unforgiving spirit" will destroy an individual or a race of people if they keep being unforgiving. It is time for the person who thinks his black friends are selling out, to start looking at things in the right manner and realize that his friends are just moving on and start moving on himself. To keep being angry at other citizens of this country is a self-destructive act. But it is your choice and what you do about it is up to you.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-13-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Blacks, Hispanics, gays, etc. do not base their hurt feelings on their ancestors. They base it on the present. The past is history and we all learn from history. Just like Jews have to be cautious around certain groups of people because of history.

The majority of the people who have discriminated against me are white people. What type of discrimination? Different treatment e.g., lying to make me the butt of a joke but not doing that others, making it deliberately difficult to befriend or act friendly with, withholding information, starting arguments, making snide body language, shouting, accusing, etc. That's current day discrimination.

You say to forgive and let it go? So if somebody harms you with harassment or what not do you not call the police and want them to rot in prison or jail? That seems to be the attitude of white people. They can harass. But you cannot harass back.
My brother did not receive the promotion he deserved in the military because a black officer hated him because he had a southern accent. It goes both ways. Is he supposed to hate all blacks because of the prejudice of this one man. It caused him to have a lower salary for quite some time. He was hurt and harmed by this man. It happens both ways, but nothing happens to us that God does not allow and he will help us overcome it.

I hear my ancestors were slaves many times. That is not a present condition. I have American Indian ancestors, but I also have German and English, etc. ancestors. I have had white people do most of the things you mentioned to me too. I just choose to have others as my friends. You are calling racist, something that happens to all of us. I just turned on facebook this morning and learned that my grandchild was threatened on the bus. I didn't ask what race of person did the threatening. And yes, that person will wish they hadn't done it, but we have a government that is asking for special harsh treatment because of the thoughts of the person commiting the offense. I am sorry, but according to our constitution, that is wrong and I expect there are many non-whites that will end up wishing that law had never been passed, because there seems to be many more other races of people hurting whites than the other way around. All crimes are hate crimes. One cannot wonder why the Black Panthers are exempt from this law though, if white people are subject to it.

No, white people are not the only racist. Considering that race is not something we spend a lot of time thinking about, I think that white people are the least racist of any group in America. There is always going to be the slime that uses anything they can against other people, but don't judge an entire race of people by that slimeball.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Was the black officer his superior or a favorite? If not then I doubt the hateful black man had any serious control or power in the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My brother did not receive the promotion he deserved in the military because a black officer hated him because he had a southern accent. It goes both ways. Is he supposed to hate all blacks because of the prejudice of this one man. It caused him to have a lower salary for quite some time. He was hurt and harmed by this man. It happens both ways, but nothing happens to us that God does not allow and he will help us overcome it.

I

Old 11-13-2010, 12:36 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Was the black officer his superior or a favorite? If not then I doubt the hateful black man had any serious control or power in the military.
He was the person doing his job evaluation. He gave him an unfair evaluation and it took some time after he was no longer his superior to overcome what he had written down on his evaluation. I think it changed when my brother took the officer's training test and made the highest score any enlisted man had ever made on it. That was a little hard to devalue. People cannot keep a hard working man down forever.

I don't know about you, but I have had unfair evaluations too. This may shock you but there are many people, some of them on this board, that do not like southern people. My brother had wonderful evaluations until this man came on board. And I will remind you that both my brother and I were raised by a mother that hated any discrimination for any reason. If my brother thought the bad evaluation came because of prejudice, you can bet your last dollar it did.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.
Honestly, the people I see who initiate conversations on racism are Whites. I think Whites are consumed by the subject.

Here is the solution and it's quite easy: Respect other people.
Let them live their lives as they see fit. MYOB! Let them practice their religions, culture, and speak their languages without sticking your nose into their lives. It's called respect. Do that and racism would go away.

Busybodies suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies