Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 03:24 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.

it is the PC thing to do to only accuse whites of racism, even tho any race can be racist.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 PM

32 posts, read 43,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Michael Corleone is no more of a hero than Black Caesar (Tommy Gibbs) and Priest are. All three are running criminal enterprises... the difference is that the mafia lifestyle became emulated by the real life black kingpins.
Yeah sorry I meant exploitation films portray whites more negatively than blacks. But yeah any violent criminal is not a hero.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
To me, it should be common sense that all types of people could be racist, so this question doesn't even matter. The truth is that historically white people have been the ones to do outwardly racist things. If you are in the United States then you know our history here: white people made it to where there was a white water fountain and a "colored" one. Whether you want to admit it or not, no where else has racism like that happened on that level.

South Africa was worse, although it goes along with the rest of what you were saying.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:36 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
South Africa was worse, although it goes along with the rest of what you were saying.
What I was saying is that no where else in the world can someone say that white people were victim to racism at the same levels in which white people brought prejudice, murder and discrimination against non-whites. Like, where in the world have non-whites done the same things at the same levels to white people as they have systematically done to non-whites in the US. I know South Africa was/is pretty horrible and bad, maybe I need to learn more about what goes on and went on there. But, that wasn't what I was talking about.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
it is the PC thing to do to only accuse whites of racism, even tho any race can be racist.
I promise you that most black people I know will admit that a black person is being racist if it was obvious. They will also call out a white person for being racist. Racism is racism, it doesn't matter who does it.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Chupy View Post
What's wrong? Did you have a misunderstanding or read my post in a different way?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
My point was that in the time period you referenced when Italians were heavily discriminated against, even the "garbage" of Italian Americans still had more rights, more job opportunities and in general "more" than African Americans of all education levels in the same period, and the Italians knew this. Same with the Irish.
Italians knew this because it says so in the godfather? If you want to make the point, that's fine, but using the godfather or organized crime to do so is ridiculous.

Any way, I never said heavy discrimination. I stated immigrants had their own issues to contend with. And Italian immigrants in the early 1900s were not educated or becoming educated. They were unskilled workers that largely participated in labor. Their communities were poor. My family was pretty typical and being a garbage man is about as unskilled as one can get.

Quote:
Americans discriminated against Italians mainly because they were the biggest Immigrant group coming to America at the time. Because they didn't have very much money, most Italian immigrants chose to live in poor conditions and because most of them didn't understand much English, most of them worked for very low wages, seemingly taking the jobs themselves from Americans. Americans seemed to think that Italian immigrants were not strong enough or smart enough to get good jobs because most of them worked construction jobs and other manual jobs which required no intellect.
This is not to say discrimination A or B was better or worse than anything.

The same went for the Great AA migration...

Quote:
While the Great Migration helped educated African Americans obtain jobs, eventually enabling a measure of class mobility, the migrants encountered significant forms of discrimination. Because so many people migrated in a short period of time, the African American migrants were often resented by the European American working class, fearing their ability to negotiate rates of pay or secure employment, was threatened by the influx of new labor competition. Sometimes those who were most fearful or resentful were the last immigrants of the 19th and new immigrants of the 20th century. In many cities, working classes tried to defend what they saw as "their" territories.

Nonetheless, African Americans made substantial gains in industrial employment, particularly in the steel, automobile, shipbuilding, and meatpacking industries. Between 1910 and 1920, the number of blacks employed in industry nearly doubled from 500,000 to 901,000. After the Great Depression, more advances took place after workers in the steel and meatpacking industries were organized in labor unions in the 1930s and 1940s, under the interracial Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). The unions ended segregation of many jobs, and African Americans began to advance into more skilled jobs and supervisory positions.
And little has changed. Today we're hooting and hollering about illegal immigrants, H1bs, outsourcing, etc taking our jobs.

One thing to note between the two groups, tho, is that 1. IA's certainly received less discrimination compared to AAs being able to pass as northern in some instances and 2. cultural differences. The latter is related to my 'roots hypothesis'. My grandparents and parents were uneducated. One thing we had, tho, was our roots and a strong family bond that came over from the old country (everyone living together and/or near by). We were all very tight. We had little Italy and a lof of Italian pride and culture.
This is something that was robbed from AAs. And I think it's a big player in the state of affairs today.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I promise you that most black people I know will admit that a black person is being racist if it was obvious. They will also call out a white person for being racist. Racism is racism, it doesn't matter who does it.

you are correct, but can you show me where a black person has ever been charged and convicted for a hate crime?

I dont ever remember reading about one.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Chupy View Post
I'll tell you why Italians are successful, they work together. Families help families, friends help friends. They're ethnocentric as hell and to non-Italians it might be a ****-off and they may be pretty rude but it really works for them. There is a huge Italian community here and it's no secret that they attained success in that way.
Yep, that was my experience. When I was growing up I didn't only have my family, but other Italians in the neighborhood. And in more than one instance did the boys from my neighborhood physically intervene when they saw me potentially getting into trouble. And yes again to being ethnocentric. As a child the world was comprised of Italians and non-Italians. Obviously, my views have changed.

Quote:
Compared to "lazy, stupid, murderous, welfare babies, drug addicted, etc." yea it is.
Um, stupid? yep (as noted in one of the links). Murderous? Aren't you the one noting that factoid?

Welfare-obviously, no. Italians are known to be workers, but stupid workers. Although, many stereotypes have their wires crossed.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yep, that was my experience. When I was growing up I didn't only have my family, but other Italians in the neighborhood. And in more than one instance did the boys from my neighborhood physically intervene when they saw me potentially getting into trouble. And yes again to being ethnocentric. As a child the world was comprised of Italians and non-Italians. Obviously, my views have changed.

Um, stupid? yep (as noted in one of the links). Murderous? Aren't you the one noting that factoid?

Welfare-obviously, no. Italians are known to be workers, but stupid workers. Although, many stereotypes have their wires crossed.

I was talking about black stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies