Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post

My overall message is that things have changed a great deal in this country since slavery and Jim Crow. Black people can go as far as their ability and ambition will take them. I've seen too many examples of this for it not to be true. Two of my doctors are black. The DA of my hometown (Dallas, TX) is black. It can be done. I'm not saying that there won't be tremendous adversity to overcome. There always is. Just formulate a plan and get busy.
Can't rep you again so

Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Dallas is a very plural and modern city. It doesn't reflect on the rest of the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I lived in the Dallas area for over 20 years and worked in the telecommunications industry (Richardson-Plano Telecom Corridor) I'm very familiar with the political and economic situation there.

And yes I agree with you most Black Americans would be much better served on focusing on being successful. Racism may or may not be there but its not a valid excuse for not trying to be successful or for having some measure of success.

After all the desired objective is racism is to make individuals discouraged and to make them give up. Why give the b**tards the satisfaction?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 PM

But I'm not black. So why am I empathetic and understanding of black people and their history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's not that they are retarded it's just they live a different reality and their narrative is based on what they've been taught. The vast majority of White Americans have taken little time or effort to research Black Americans history, the various contributions Black Americans have made to the United States in terms of science, medicine, technology, the arts, the military or any other aspect of life. The way that American History is taught in schools contributes to this. It's obvious from many of the responses in this and other threads related to race that most of the posters have limited exposure to Black Americans and the exposure that they do have is confided to a small demographic of Black Americans which only serves to feed into their stereotypes.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
But I'm not black. So why am I empathetic and understanding of black people and their history?

I''ll reserve my judgement for a later date!

Old 11-12-2010, 05:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You, like so many others on other threads, are taking things out of context, mincing words and just outright lying, and I'm no longer going to justify these comments with a response. I did not generalize that all blacks are from the ghetto. How is mainstream American at fault for the choices of poor black people who do live in the ghetto? That actually is not what Uncle Tom means, it means a black person who acts subservient to white people. How does Morgan Freeman act subservient?

Uncle Tom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not the one who called Morgan Freeman an Uncle Tom, so save it.

And try actually reading what I say one of these days... it just might answer your questions. Where did you even remotely think that I said that mainstream America is at fault for the choices of blacks? This is all you talking here... if you want to believe that poor blacks only have themselves to blame for why there's a tiny margin of social mobility for poor blacks, then say it. Stop beating around the bush.

And perhaps you and unbrainwashed should pool together the money to buy a dictionary... both of you seem to be blanking on the definition of racism. Oh, and cite ONE instance of me "outright lying" to you. Lying to you about what? You mean when I called you out when you made the assertion that all successful black people come from the ghetto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea3821
You have a problem with your own kind who decide to get out of the ghetto and make something of themselves.
WTF makes you think that Obama (your own example) "came from the ghetto"? WTF makes you think that most successful black people come from the ghetto? What you call "mincing words" is what I call pointing out the underlying ignorance in your posts. Whether you choose to see it from my perspective or not is on you.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

I wanted to interject ,that in my opinion, I believe Morgan Freeman was subservient to whites in this regard in that he didn't want to make them (whites) uncomfortable by addressing modern day racism and ethnocentrism. He works for Hollywood for Christ sake. He is programed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

And try actually reading what I say one of these days... it just might answer your questions. Where did you even remotely think that I said that mainstream America is at fault for the choices of blacks? This is all you talking here... if you want to believe that poor blacks only have themselves to blame for why there's a tiny margin of social mobility for poor blacks, then say it. Stop beating around the bush.

And perhaps you and unbrainwashed should pool together the money to buy a dictionary... both of you seem to be blanking on the definition of racism. Oh, and cite ONE instance of me "outright lying" to you. Lying to you about what? You mean when I called you out when you made the assertion that all successful black people come from the ghetto?

WTF makes you think that Obama (your own example) "came from the ghetto"? WTF makes you think that most successful black people come from the ghetto? What you call "mincing words" is what I call pointing out the underlying ignorance in your posts. Whether you choose to see it from my perspective or not is on you.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
What did you just call me? What the heck are you talking about now??? You make no sense!!

No, I have not been outside the U.S. We are not talking about other countries here. But if you want to compare blacks with the Latinos, are there not more blacks in urban areas?

Did I say that whites do not commit violent crimes? No, I did not. I said the majority of crimes committed by blacks are violent and more random whereas whites commit white collar crimes that are the result of taking advantage or manipulating someone they know. You said the latter yourself.

I actually have been in a white ghetto. I've been in black ghettos, and Spanish ghettos, too. I feel safest in the white ghetto b/c I'm white, followed by the Spanish ghetto b/c I'm Spanish, then the black ghetto b/c I stick out like a sore thumb. That's a fact of life.

Where did I separate "minority culture" and "American culture"? I haven't. But I will. Mainstream is not equal to minority culture. That's also a fact of life.

If you're going to start cursing, I may just start flagging your posts. How about that? How about some respect? If not, then please leave this thread. This is an intelligent discussion, not a name-calling contest.

The majority of rich white people who commit crimes commit white collar crimes as opposed to violent crimes, just like the majority of rich black people commit crimes commit white collar crimes as opposed to violent crimes. The point of the latin america example was that poverty does not = violence everywhere... its mainly an urban phenomenon that gets aggravated by our culture here in America. If you've never been outside of the US, you wouldn't know that.

You weren't talking about which one you feel safest in, you were claiming that impoverished urban black areas are crime ridden while impoverished urban white areas are not. This is besides that there aren't too many poor areas at this point which are all black all white or all latino... most are a mix.

By separating "minority culture" and "mainstream culture" you're claiming that the two are mutually exclusive. All one has to do is turn on MTV to see that this is BS.

And if you want to talk about "mincing words because you don't have an argument" you think "flagging my posts for cursing" really shows that you have two legs to stand on? If you don't like the cursing, then you could have asked at any point beforehand. Going straight to flagging = you're getting pretty desperate here.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

I have said it multiple times, poor blacks and anyone else who is poor usually can only blame themselves for their own predicament.

I never said that all successful black people came from the ghetto.

Again, I will ask you one last time to stop cursing at me. I never once said Obama came from the ghetto. Never. Read back. I think you should get a dictionary and look up "mincing words" b/c that's exactly what you're doing.

Whether you choose to see my side is on you.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM

So poor people have to "blame" themselves? Why? So you can feel better about yourself?

Has anyone ever read or viewed the works of Barbara Ehrenreich? Nickle and Dimed? This Land is Their Land?

Quote:
I have said it multiple times, poor blacks and anyone else who is poor usually can only blame themselves for their own predicament.

Again, I will ask you one last time to stop cursing at me. I never once said Obama came from the ghetto. Never. Read back. I think you should get a dictionary and look up "mincing words" b/c that's exactly what you're doing.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for proving that your able to copy and paste my arguments and switch the words around. Great way to make yourself seem like you have a leg to stand on.

Keep reading your own comment until you find out where you did exactly that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821
You have a problem with your own kind who decide to get out of the ghetto and make something of themselves.

Do you see it?

And please point out where I said that I "have a problem with my own kind who decide to get out of the ghetto and make something of themselves". Trust me, you won't find it because I didn't.

And I looked up "mincing words" btw. Here's what came back:

"To restrain oneself in a conversation by withholding some comments or using euphemisms"

Somehow I don't think that's what you meant. Maybe you should look up what you say before you say it in the future.

EDIT:

"I have said it multiple times, poor blacks and anyone else who is poor usually can only blame themselves for their own predicament."

This is where the "USUALLY" in that sentence comes in. USUALLY, racism doesn't compound or serve to institutionalize poverty with poor Americans. However, blacks are THE EXCEPTION to this rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies