Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you honestly think it's a big conspiracy that more blacks are arrested for drugs than whites???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Stop ignoring statistical FACT, proportionatly blacks DO drugs more than whites... nobody is talking about who gets arrested more or less.

Though they use marijuana less, more blacks than whites are arrested for it, a new study shows.

Quote:
White people between the ages of 18 and 25 use marijuana at a higher rate than their black peers, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, so you would naturally assume that young white people would also have a higher arrest rate for marijuana possession than young black people. But that's not the case. A report released last week found that police in California's biggest cities arrest blacks for possession at four, five and even 13 times the rate of whites.
eta:Further...
Quote:
Most marijuana possession arrests do not lead to long prison sentences these days, but having an arrest record and the stigma of being a "drug offender" negatively affects opportunities for employment and housing and higher education. Such information also is visible to credit agencies, licensing boards and banks. California recently downgraded the charge to an infraction — a positive step — but collateral damage is still likely; the low-income people most commonly arrested would have the most difficulty paying the fines for the infraction — and failure to do so would bring the charge back to a misdemeanor.
This is a problem and it's clearly discrimination with life long consequences.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

Though they use marijuana less, more blacks than whites are arrested for it, a new study shows.

Marijuana profiling - latimes.com
"The report concludes that it's not personal prejudice or racism on the part of police officers. The NAACP says it is the result of the long-standing strategy of saturating minority communities with officers who then overzealously stop and frisk people. Were such a strategy pursued in a white community, a high number of arrests would result there as well. The police say they are simply trying protect the citizens in high-crime areas."

This basically backs up the point I made earlier about it, so I rest my case.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Marijuana profiling - latimes.com
"The report concludes that it's not personal prejudice or racism on the part of police officers. The NAACP says it is the result of the long-standing strategy of saturating minority communities with officers who then overzealously stop and frisk people. Were such a strategy pursued in a white community, a high number of arrests would result there as well. The police say they are simply trying protect the citizens in high-crime areas."

This basically backs up the point I made earlier about it, so I rest my case.
I'm not following.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:

To address the ETA:

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE TELL ME WHO'S FAULT IT IS FOR USING DRUGS? If you don't use drugs, you will not get arrested for possession, you will not have the stigma of a criminal record and you will be able to pass a drug test and a criminal background check to attain a job.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Stop ignoring statistical FACT, proportionatly blacks DO drugs more than whites... nobody is talking about who gets arrested more or less.
To top it all off he wants you to read "The Destruction of Black Civilization" -a book that is more folklore than fact and not much more than embarrassingly racially motivated pseudo-history written by a known crackpot named Chancellor Williams. This man is a joke in the eyes of serious Egyptologists and anthropologists.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I might add that using your statistics on black incarceration for drugs, don't you think there might be a reason for that? White drug use is also a problem, but you don't really see too many whites shooting up the town b/c a drug deal went bad. Arguably, many of the drug arrests of whites are for pot, and I don't believe the same could be said for blacks. Whites maybe are just smart enough to not get caught. I'm just guessing here, there could be a number of reasons for it, but I wouldn't say that police discrimination is necessarily the cause. Unless you want to call higher patrol of known black drug areas discrimination.
From a few pages back....

Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
To address the ETA:

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE TELL ME WHO'S FAULT IT IS FOR USING DRUGS? If you don't use drugs, you will not get arrested for possession, you will not have the stigma of a criminal record and you will be able to pass a drug test and a criminal background check to attain a job.
That's not the point. Kids make mistakes. For that matter, pot smoking is quite common in the US across the board. The same crime takes place, but the outcome is different. This issue is clearly a matter of discrimination, intentional or not. There is no way around that fact and to ignore it or brush it off is unacceptable, imo. And I say bullshyt to claims that it's a matter of protecting folk in the inner city. Cops blow off possession of marijuana every day. I know this from experience. If I were not a cute, young (perhaps white) woman/girl back then my life may have turned out quite differently. Again, that's just crap.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
From a few pages back....
That post didn't make sense when you initially wrote it and it doesn't make sense now.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
That post didn't make sense when you initially wrote it and it doesn't make sense now.
What does not make sense? That it's not discriminatory to have more cops in the ghetto? Or that increased police presence in black areas would lead to more arrests of blacks than whites? Or that blacks are more likely to become violent over a drug deal and thus get caught?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That's not the point. Kids make mistakes. For that matter, pot smoking is quite common in the US across the board. The same crime takes place, but the outcome is different. This issue is clearly a matter of discrimination, intentional or not. There is no way around that fact and to ignore it or brush it off is unacceptable, imo. And I say bullshyt to claims that it's a matter of protecting folk in the inner city. Cops blow off possession of marijuana every day. I know this from experience. If I were not a cute, young (perhaps white) woman/girl back then my life may have turned out quite differently. Again, that's just crap.
See, it's statements like this that are aggravating. If you do drugs and get busted, it's your own fault. You're part of the problem if you honestly believe that anyone who gets busted with drugs made a mistake b/c they're young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies