Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
You people come up with the result that you want, then market it as if it were the truth.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science - Magazine - The Atlantic
WRONG!

(1) The majority of these research studies are performed by universities that are given NIH funding(government not pharmaceutical) so they are not endorsed to produce a certain result.

(2) What result would we want? What do physicians and pharmaceutical industries gain by making steroids illegal? You people obviously reach to conspiracy theories without thinking. If we were manipulating data to achieve certain results then we would do so to make anabolic steroids be seen as being safe as it would make us considerably more money. The pharmaceutical industry would make billions producing it and the doctors would make millions selling it legally for cash in their offices like any other cosmetic procedure. So your theory was just destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Exactly, you have nothing more to say.
I have plenty more to say. Can you honestly say you would read anything posted with an open mind? It sounds to me like you have made up your mind on the matter, and will not be swayed. Am I correct?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What do you mean "probably" won't have long term effects? It absolutely will have long term effects. What you guys don't understand is this is not a debate. These are facts that have been well established. Pick a copy of a physiology text book or a pathophysiology textbook. It's like arguing with the laws of physics. This is human physiology. When you take these steroids and they lead to the formation of excess testosterone in your body, the body converts that to estrogen. That is a proven fact that occurs in every human being. Does this not make sense to you?

The bodybuilders you talk to are in their 20's and 30's so how would you know how these drugs will impact them 30 years later? These effects take a long time to reach. You don't develop cardiomyopathies overnight. This is not like saying "Yeah, I talked to Phil in the gym the other day and he has been doing deca for a month and feels great so he knows more than those stupid doctors"
You do realize that everyones body is different dont you?, and that drugs whether its weed,coke,nicotine or steroids have a different affect on different people. My grandmother smoked three packs a day for 70 years and died when she was 94, not from smoking. My grandfather on the otherside died of lung cancer when he was 63 from smoking 1 pack a day. You do realize that there are estrogen blockers don't you. Either way abusing anything isn't good for your body but don't tell me that alcohol or nicotine is less dangerous than a steroid. My liver enzymes are checked twice a year and I guarantee my levels are better than 80% of men my age. So is my HDL and LDL cholesterol and yet I don't have boobies. I know alot more people strung out on Vicodin or Percocet than I do with long term effects on steroids.
I know dudes in their 50s and 60s who ABUSED them and have no liver problems, and I know guys my age who didn't abuse them and do have tendon and liver problems.

Alcohol and Nicotine have killed a million times more than steroids ever will, so should they be illegal? Morals shouldn't be legislated.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Would you like me to post the stats of how many people who are killed from the medical industry every year? There are books written about it.

People today have every reason to be afraid of a doctor! They over prescribe powerful medication, they prescribe medication that conflicts with other medication, and the medication itself causes all kinds of nasty side effects.

"Merck yanked Vioxx on Sept. 30 because a new study had found a higher rate of heart attacks and strokes in patients taking the drug than in those on a placebo."

USATODAY.com - How did Vioxx debacle happen?

FDA Estimates Vioxx Caused 27,785 Deaths

FDA Estimates Vioxx Caused 27,785 Deaths
(1) Funny because this is the same big bad FDA that you and other conspiracy theorists blame for being too strict and not allowing certain drugs to reach the market. So now you want to criticize the FDA for allowing Vioxx to reach the shelves. Which is it?

(2) There are thousands of drugs that fail clinical trials and never make it to production. The pharmaceutical companies eat those costs (billions) You never hear about those drugs because you conspiracy theorists think pharmaceutical companies just release every drug they create.

(3) Just to show you how weak your argument is, I will provide a real life example of a billion dollar drug that the pharmaceutical industry pulled. Phizer created a drug called Torcetrapib. It was the first drug to increase HDL considerably. All other cholesterol medicines lower LDL but none raise HDL in considerable amounts. HDL is the heart protective or "good cholesterol" This drug would have been the first of it's kind and would have made Phizer billions. However, during clinical trials, people died and Phizer itself pulled the plug on this drug. According to your theory, drug companies only care about money and just callously release drugs into the market. Didn't happen here

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/he...th&oref=slogin

(4) Vioxx was an accident. Drug trials were performed and harmful effects were not seen. The company did not knowingly release this drug with the intent that 27,000 would die as a result. Do you think they would do that knowing they would endure a billion dollar class action lawsuit? But of course, let's focus on Vioxx and the other handful of drugs that caused these effects and ignore the other thousands of drugs that have safely and effectively treated patients for years.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
You do realize that everyones body is different dont you?,
You do realize that everyone's body has the same physiological processes. We all require oxygen to breathe. You don't breathe underwater do you? You still require food and oxygen to survive correct? Are you really that ignorant to think someone's body doesn't convert testosterone to estrogen when that is a basic human physiological function? Seriously talk about an assinine argument!

Quote:
My grandmother smoked three packs a day for 70 years and died when she was 94, not from smoking.
Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that nicotine increases vasoconstriction and leads to hypertension. That even happened in your grandma whether or not she suffered consequences from it. That is a fact in all humans. It doesn't change the fact that smoking increases one's risk of developing lung cancer and a host of other diseases, that doesn't mean someone is for sure going to contract that disease but you can't know that in advance because "you know your body" Your body is not going to tell you now whether you will develop pulmonary fibrosis or lung cancer later

Quote:
You do realize that there are estrogen blockers don't you.
Where did you learn this....at GNC or from one of your friends in the weight room? You think you can just conveniently take some pills that will offset this. Seriously, you need to see a endocrinologist before it's too late because you've received a lot of bad advice.

Quote:
My liver enzymes are checked twice a year and I guarantee my levels are better than 80% of men my age. So is my HDL and LDL cholesterol and yet I don't have boobies.
How long have you been doing it...5 years? How old are you 29? Talk to me when you are 60

Quote:
I know dudes in their 50s and 60s who ABUSED them and have no liver problems, and I know guys my age who didn't abuse them and do have tendon and liver problems.
Really, so you saw their lipid profiles? Did you come to this conclusion based on them not having the words "liver damage" written on their forehead? Do you know their glucose levels? I've seen patients on chronic steroid use develop pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer let alone diabetes, cirrhosis and cardiomyopathies.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,675 times
And to all you people who think using steroids is cheating, stop using your coffee, nootropics/smart drugs to function at work and pass exams. Hypocrites.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have plenty more to say. Can you honestly say you would read anything posted with an open mind? It sounds to me like you have made up your mind on the matter, and will not be swayed. Am I correct?
That is not the point. If you you want to go around making claims that steroids are dangerous, and that the usage of steroids has killed many people, you should post information to support your claim regardless if people want to read it or not. Otherwise, just let us know that your information is nothing more than theory and conjecture.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
And to all you people who think using steroids is cheating, stop using your coffee, nootropics/smart drugs to function at work and pass exams. Hypocrites.
There is not a drug in this world that can make you smarter.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:45 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
That is not the point. If you you want to go around making claims that steroids are dangerous, and that the usage of steroids has killed many people, you should post information to support your claim regardless if people want to read it or not. Otherwise, just let us know that your information is nothing more than theory and conjecture.
You are well aware that causes of death are listed as physiological causes, such as cardiac failure, or cardiomyopathy, which would be secondary to steroid use, that is why you are pushing the point. Nice attempt at a "gotcha", but please don't bother. If you want to use steroids, then feel free, but to delude yourself that there are no serious side-effects is, well, it's deady-delusional.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

(4) Vioxx was an accident. Drug trials were performed and harmful effects were not seen. The company did not knowingly release this drug with the intent that 27,000 would die as a result. Do you think they would do that knowing they would endure a billion dollar class action lawsuit? But of course, let's focus on Vioxx and the other handful of drugs that caused these effects and ignore the other thousands of drugs that have safely and effectively treated patients for years.

Oh, do I need to find ANOTHER drug that KILLED thousands of people? Will you say that was an "accident" too?

So what about the Gardasil vaccine, is that another "accident"?

Records Document 3,589 Adverse Reactions Related to Gardasil between May 2009 and September 2010, Including 213 Cases Resulting in Permanent Disability

Judicial Watch Uncovers FDA Records Detailing 16 New Deaths Tied to Gardasil | Judicial Watch

Judicial Watch Investigates Side-Effects of HPV Vaccine | Judicial Watch

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies