Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 PM

465 posts, read 464,101 times

Advertisements

As we can all see. For the past 6 or 7 years there has been an enormous media witchhunt against steroids.

In professional sports there has been a ridiculous campaign against them. The DEA has been making them more of a priority and going for bigger steroid busts.

The climax of it all might have been when in one of his state of the union addresses. George W. Bush said in his speech that we much crack down on steorids and performance enhancing drugs.

What is the point of all this? Have people forgotten that steroids were legal until the 1980's?

I guess the prison industry, pharmacetical industry, and DEA just need to make some more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
There are different types of steroids. Not all of them are anabolic. Most steroids are anti-inflammatory. Yes, anabolic steroids do have severe medical consequences. They increase one's risk of infertility, and host of metabolic disorders than can result in death. So no, steroids is not marijuana if that's the angle you are trying to use. This is not some government conspiracy to outlaw something that is harmless. They can't just be taken lightly. Even when taken in the short term, steroids can have long lasting effects. They need to be banned in professional sports, the last thing we want is for athletes to regularly abuse steroids on a mass scale and send the message to kids that it's okay to take steroids since everyone in professional sports is abusing them.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 PM

952 posts, read 943,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There are different types of steroids. Not all of them are anabolic. Most steroids are anti-inflammatory. Yes, anabolic steroids do have severe medical consequences. They increase one's risk of infertility, and host of metabolic disorders than can result in death. So no, steroids is not marijuana if that's the angle you are trying to use. This is not some government conspiracy to outlaw something that is harmless. They can't just be taken lightly. Even when taken in the short term, steroids can have long lasting effects. They need to be banned in professional sports, the last thing we want is for athletes to regularly abuse steroids on a mass scale and send the message to kids that it's okay to take steroids since everyone in professional sports is abusing them.

no kidding

they make people mean!

my dad was so mean...he slapped General Patton

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Well I disagree with all these things. And obviously I am talking about anabolic steroids here.

Anabolic steroids can be harmfull if used wrecklessly, but generally they are pretty safe when used intelligently, properly, and moderately.

Steroids in sports.... it'll never be stopped. As long as guys are getting paid millions of dollars for physical ability, they will take steroids to improve their ability. It'll never be stopped. Never.

It's just another example of fighting an endless battle. It seems like America loves to fight endless, unwinnable battles.

I'm not argueing that steroids are wonderful and harmless. I'm just saying that this battle against steroids is stupid and pointless.

Last edited by NomadRefugee; 11-13-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
Well I disagree with all these things. And obviously I am talking about anabolic steroids here.

Anabolic steroids can be harmfull if used wrecklessly, but generally they are pretty safe when used intelligently, properly, and moderately.

Steroids in sports.... it'll never be stopped. As long as guys are getting paid millions of dollars for physical ability, they will take steroids to improve their ability. It'll never be stopped. Never.

It's just another example of fighting an endless battle. It seems like America loves to fight endless, unwinnable battles.

I'm not argueing that steroids are wonderful and harmless. I'm just saying that this battle against steroids is stupid and pointless.
I'm a physician so I don't know where you are getting your information but it's wrong. I'm not debating you, I'm telling you the facts, you can choose to listen or ignore it. Steroids are not safe even in small amounts when taken chronically. The excess testosterone that is produced gets converted to estrogen and leads to increased fat deposition which then leads to a host of metabolic disorders such as atherosclerosis and peripheral vascular disease. You don't have to take these "wrecklessly" for these effects to occur.

Of course steroids will never be completely eliminated but you are kidding yourself if you think the majority or even the overwhelming majority of athletes are taking it. We all saw what happened in baseball when they cracked down on steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. Players showed up to camp a lot lighter, home runs were down, it was pretty obvious that use declined considerably when the league came down on it.

There are a lot of misinformed people like yourself that intuitively think steroids are harmless in small doses when they don't understand the pathophysiological mechanisms of how they work. This battle is worth fighting because high school kids abuse steroids in greater numbers since drug screening is rarely done at the high school level and misinformed teenagers will try to get an edge thinking it's harmless

Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,866 times
Quote:

What is the point of all this? Have people forgotten that steroids were legal until the 1980's?

\.
Just because something is or was "legal" doesn't mean it's healthy or safe. Just look at alcohol abuse...it's legal, but it is at the root of all kinds of complications (liver disease, violence, and car accidents to name a few...). Professional athletes should be setting an example of optimum health and vitality for the impressionable young people who look up to them, not sending a message that they need these drugs in order keep their performance up to par.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Just because something is or was "legal" doesn't mean it's healthy or safe. Just look at alcohol abuse...it's legal, but it is at the root of all kinds of complications (liver disease, violence, and car accidents to name a few...). Professional athletes should be setting an example of optimum health and vitality for the impressionable young people who look up to them, not sending a message that they need these drugs in order keep their performance up to par.
Well, the fact is, people DO need to use steroids to keep their performance up to par in professional sports. That's the reality of it.

Most people really, really underestimate how widely these drugs are used in pro sports. There will always be guys willing to use these drugs and slide by drug tests, and they will always have an edge. That's just how it is.

Steroid abuse, or steroid use by young people is very harmful often times. But moderate use by older people, like what is prescribed in anti-ageing clinics across the USA is very safe.

The US government does not care about the health and well-being of the people. Why are they really fighting this battle?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:38 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
As we can all see. For the past 6 or 7 years there has been an enormous media witchhunt against steroids.

In professional sports there has been a ridiculous campaign against them. The DEA has been making them more of a priority and going for bigger steroid busts.

The climax of it all might have been when in one of his state of the union addresses. George W. Bush said in his speech that we much crack down on steorids and performance enhancing drugs.

I guess the prison industry, pharmacetical industry, and DEA just need to make some more money.
I've been saying this for years. In a free society, you cannot and do not even attempt to control what people ingest.

It boogles the mind that so many accept without question our continued progress toward a police state.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've been saying this for years. In a free society, you cannot and do not even attempt to control what people ingest.

It boogles the mind that so many accept without question our continued progress toward a police state.
I totally agree.

The issue is not whether or not steroids are harmful.

The issue is the government telling us what we can or cannot ingest into our bodies.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:16 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times
Quote:
I'm a physician so I don't know where you are getting your information but it's wrong. I'm not debating you, I'm telling you the facts, you can choose to listen or ignore it. Steroids are not safe even in small amounts when taken chronically. The excess testosterone that is produced gets converted to estrogen and leads to increased fat deposition which then leads to a host of metabolic disorders such as atherosclerosis and peripheral vascular disease. You don't have to take these "wrecklessly" for these effects to occur.

Of course steroids will never be completely eliminated but you are kidding yourself if you think the majority or even the overwhelming majority of athletes are taking it. We all saw what happened in baseball when they cracked down on steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. Players showed up to camp a lot lighter, home runs were down, it was pretty obvious that use declined considerably when the league came down on it.

There are a lot of misinformed people like yourself that intuitively think steroids are harmless in small doses when they don't understand the pathophysiological mechanisms of how they work. This battle is worth fighting because high school kids abuse steroids in greater numbers since drug screening is rarely done at the high school level and misinformed teenagers will try to get an edge thinking it's harmless
Hey "doctor" you are clueless and have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. You're just regurgitating what the misinformed media and mainstream medical community spews out on a yearly basis. I'm not even going to dignify your lack of knowledge with a response. Not only are you so misguided on a basic scientific level you are even more misguided on a practical level. There are THOUSANDS of AIDS patients who are on anabolic steroids..........anavar, testosterone, nandrolone etc.........who without them would die. Their liver enzymes are perfect, their blood pressure is better than most.........and low and behold none of them are suffering any greater incidences of metabolic syndromes or diabetes than the regular population. There are THOUSANDS of transgendered individuals shooting up testosterone on a monthly basis as well. There are millions of men on TRT doses. There are millions of responsible, mature, males wanting to look good naked using steroids and they are in better shape than you could ever dream of. Yes steroids should never be used by teenagers. Neither should teens be smoking or drinking. In fact John Grimek, Bill Pearl, Sergio Oliva, Frank Zane, Dave Draper, and a whole host of steroid pioneers are as healthy or healthier than most of the general population and have aged gracefully. What US society doesn't need is a bunch of pencil neck doctors and bureaucrats who've never seen the inside of a gym telling them what they can or can't inject into their bodies.

Steroids are not like marijuana. They don't work unless you train and eat correctly. If used responsibly steroids are just as benign. And I'd rather look like a muscle hunk than some dopehead pot smoker with too much estrogen flowing through his veins. Just like long term steroid use the jury is still out on long term marijuana use. Abuse anything and you can die. I could shoot 3000mg of testosterone in one sitting and it won't kill me. I could take a bottle of Tylenol and it most definitely will kill me. Stick to what you know and leave steroids alone.........

Last edited by SoCalCroozer; 11-14-2010 at 02:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies