Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:23 AM

465 posts, read 464,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Hey "doctor" you are clueless and have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. You're just regurgitating what the misinformed media and mainstream medical community spews out on a yearly basis. I'm not even going to dignify your lack of knowledge with a response. Not only are you so misguided on a basic scientific level you are even more misguided on a practical level. There are THOUSANDS of AIDS patients who are on anabolic steroids..........anavar, testosterone, nandrolone etc.........who without them would die. Their liver enzymes are perfect, their blood pressure is better than most.........and low and behold none of them are suffering any greater incidences of metabolic syndromes or diabetes than the regular population. There are THOUSANDS of transgendered individuals shooting up testosterone on a monthly basis as well. There are millions of men on TRT doses. There are millions of responsible, mature, males wanting to look good naked using steroids and they are in better shape than you could ever dream of. Yes steroids should never be used by teenagers. Neither should teens be smoking or drinking. In fact John Grimek, Bill Pearl, Sergio Oliva, Frank Zane, Dave Draper, and a whole host of steroid pioneers are as healthy or healthier than most of the general population and have aged gracefully. What US society doesn't need is a bunch of pencil neck doctors and bureaucrats who've never seen the inside of a gym telling them what they can or can't inject into their bodies.

Steroids are not like marijuana. They don't work unless you train and eat correctly. If used responsibly steroids are just as benign. And I'd rather look like a muscle hunk than some dopehead pot smoker with too much estrogen flowing through his veins. Just like long term steroid use the jury is still out on long term marijuana use. Abuse anything and you can die. I could shoot 3000mg of testosterone in one sitting and it won't kill me. I could take a bottle of Tylenol and it most definitely will kill me. Stick to what you know and leave steroids alone.........
Great post. I agree with it all.

There are all these theories about how steroids are so terrible for people. Yet there are no examples. There are very, very few people out there who have serious health problems that have been linked to steroids.

Steroids cause serious health problems? Where are the bodies? Where are all these people with health problems hiding?

Millions and millions of people have done serious amounts of steroids, where are the people from this group who are suffering health issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
Great post. I agree with it all.

There are all these theories about how steroids are so terrible for people. Yet there are no examples. There are very, very few people out there who have serious health problems that have been linked to steroids.

Steroids cause serious health problems? Where are the bodies? Where are all these people with health problems hiding?

Millions and millions of people have done serious amounts of steroids, where are the people from this group who are suffering health issues?
Well let's get one thing straight my friend. Steroids are not harmless. They are drugs and they do cause side effects. I know guys that do and are suffering health effects from their steroid use. But I also know guys that drink a six pack of beer every night and eat fast food 7 days a week. It's ignorant for anyone not to distinguish between use and abuse when it comes to AAS. Steroids can and will affect one's health negatively. I know young guys that have cardiomyopathy, fatty liver, fertility issues etc. But most of them have abused steroids for decades. There is a difference between using say 600mgs of tesosterone a week with 25mgs of dbol and using 1500mgs of test, 800mgs of EQ, some masteron, maybe a little halotestin etc. Also there are a lot of guys using trenbolone nowadays. Nobody has any business using trenbolone. It's not necessary and it's a harsh drug with strong side effects. There is nothing special about trenbolone that you can't get out of say anavar, EQ, or a little propionate and arimidex stacked together. But guys will use the hell out of it. It's a terrible drug.

On top of the heavy doses guys are using nowadays they are all brewing their own crap from raw powders they bought in China. Many of these raw powders are filled with heavy metals and other toxins.

So you see when some know it all doctor chimes in and says steroids are bad..........he fails to realize EVERYTHING that encompasses steroid use. That's what I have a problem with. You don't paint the entire steroid dilemma with one broad brush stroke...........it doesn't work. Life is not black and white. There is a huge gray area.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times
One other thing...............A LOT of the pro bodybuilders do have health problems. But you and I will never know as they can be well managed with modern medicine. Are they dying and keeling over? No. But many of the pros that competed in the 80s and early 90s do and are suffering from the effects of steroid use. BUT and this is a BIG BUT..............professional bodybuilders are hardly the poster child for responsible, intelligent steroid use. Most abuse the drugs.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Well let's get one thing straight my friend. Steroids are not harmless. They are drugs and they do cause side effects. I know guys that do and are suffering health effects from their steroid use. But I also know guys that drink a six pack of beer every night and eat fast food 7 days a week. It's ignorant for anyone not to distinguish between use and abuse when it comes to AAS. Steroids can and will affect one's health negatively. I know young guys that have cardiomyopathy, fatty liver, fertility issues etc. But most of them have abused steroids for decades. There is a difference between using say 600mgs of tesosterone a week with 25mgs of dbol and using 1500mgs of test, 800mgs of EQ, some masteron, maybe a little halotestin etc. Also there are a lot of guys using trenbolone nowadays. Nobody has any business using trenbolone. It's not necessary and it's a harsh drug with strong side effects. There is nothing special about trenbolone that you can't get out of say anavar, EQ, or a little propionate and arimidex stacked together. But guys will use the hell out of it. It's a terrible drug.

On top of the heavy doses guys are using nowadays they are all brewing their own crap from raw powders they bought in China. Many of these raw powders are filled with heavy metals and other toxins.

So you see when some know it all doctor chimes in and says steroids are bad..........he fails to realize EVERYTHING that encompasses steroid use. That's what I have a problem with. You don't paint the entire steroid dilemma with one broad brush stroke...........it doesn't work. Life is not black and white. There is a huge gray area.
I agree. If you abuse steroids you can get yourself into serious trouble. Steroids should be treated with just as much caution as heroin in my opinion. They should be treated as powerful drugs where a wrong move will really mess you up. And before using them, people need to really study what they are doing.

I do think that these guys who get fatty livers, enlarged hearts, etc. Are the serious abusers. I don't think mild use will cause these problems. Someone who is on hormone replacement therapy dosages or slightly above will likely never encounter these problems at all.

There are a lot of guys out there doing 10x more steroids than they should be doing, or more. These are the guys who get messed up.

And i've never heard of anyone actually dying from steroid related health problems.

I also do agree with you about trenbolone. That is a rather insane and harsh drug. But if somebody wants to do it, it should be their right in my opinion. Some guys use it wisely and don't encounter any trouble.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
As we can all see. For the past 6 or 7 years there has been an enormous media witchhunt against steroids.

In professional sports there has been a ridiculous campaign against them. The DEA has been making them more of a priority and going for bigger steroid busts.

The climax of it all might have been when in one of his state of the union addresses. George W. Bush said in his speech that we much crack down on steorids and performance enhancing drugs.

What is the point of all this? Have people forgotten that steroids were legal until the 1980's?

I guess the prison industry, pharmacetical industry, and DEA just need to make some more money.

Yes, our bloated government does not have enough to do, so they must spend our tax dollars on these useless activities.

These drugs should be legal and our government should not ever get involved with policing steroid use.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
. Steroids should be treated with just as much caution as heroin in my opinion. .

Exactly. Both should be legal.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
As we can all see. For the past 6 or 7 years there has been an enormous media witchhunt against steroids.

In professional sports there has been a ridiculous campaign against them. The DEA has been making them more of a priority and going for bigger steroid busts.

The climax of it all might have been when in one of his state of the union addresses. George W. Bush said in his speech that we much crack down on steorids and performance enhancing drugs.

What is the point of all this? Have people forgotten that steroids were legal until the 1980's?

I guess the prison industry, pharmacetical industry, and DEA just need to make some more money.
I believe it comes down to the fact that professional athletes are looked up to by young children. They are role models, regardless of what Charles Barkley says.

Also, we believe that pro sports should be the best of human endeavors. We think that with hard work, practice, and physical conditioning that any human can become a great athlete.

Instead, we've got overgrown idiots pumping chemicals into their body, not working as hard as men have in the past, and telling our kids to take the easy way out.

Now I don't believe we should ban steroids for recreational use. If some moron wants to get pumped up to the size of an elephant, thats their business. But they shouldn't be in sports, and they shouldn't be someone for children to look up to.

Aside from that, the multiple health problems that come along with steroid use.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:54 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:

Likewise, there are always people in the weight lifting community like yourself that think that if they read enough about steroids or play with it over the years, that makes them as knowledgeable about the subject as one who has studied biochemistry, pathology, pathophysiology, anatomy, clinical pharmacology and has taken various state and licensing exams and understands how hormones affects human physiology. There are pathophysiological mechanisms that prove chronic use of anabolic steroids increases one's risks of metabolic disorders. This is not me coming up with a theory. This is basic biochemistry and human physiology.

It's basically like a tech telling an engineer how something works when the engineer understands the underlying mechanisms whereas the tech only understands something in practice. And any physician can tell you that chronic use of steroids increases one's risk of metabolic disorders and other conditions.

Look it's pretty obvious. Weight lifters want to take steroids. They need to rationalize their choices so they attack physicians and the scientific community because they don't agree with their choices. They can't respond back by disputing the mechanisms of how they work or support their arguments with peer reviewed randomized double blind research studies supporting their causes. They only support their arguments with anecdotal tales which essentially means nothing.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 11-14-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe it comes down to the fact that professional athletes are looked up to by young children. They are role models, regardless of what Charles Barkley says.

Also, we believe that pro sports should be the best of human endeavors. We think that with hard work, practice, and physical conditioning that any human can become a great athlete.

Instead, we've got overgrown idiots pumping chemicals into their body, not working as hard as men have in the past, and telling our kids to take the easy way out.

Now I don't believe we should ban steroids for recreational use. If some moron wants to get pumped up to the size of an elephant, thats their business. But they shouldn't be in sports, and they shouldn't be someone for children to look up to.

Aside from that, the multiple health problems that come along with steroid use.
When I was a kid in the 80's most of my role models were on steroids.

Mark McGuire, Syslverster Stallone, Jose Canseco, Van Damme, Swartzenegger, Dolf Lundgren, Hulk Hogen, Macho Man.........

But I had absolutely ZERO idea that they were on steroids, I was totally naive about it. Kids don't know this stuff.

Now that everyone is talking about it. Kids probably know the truth about steroids. Otherwise they would just be oblivious to it.

As for high school athletes taking steroids. It's not smart for them to do it for sure. But this little drug war and propaganda campaign is probably barely going to put a dent in that problem.

Let's get realistic here. Is all this gonna stop or even slow down steroid use? I doubt it.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Someone who is on hormone replacement therapy dosages or slightly above will likely never encounter these problems at all.
And you know that how? What randomized double blind research studies show a large group that was studied over a decade or longer showing control groups and people using steroids on low dosages not having harmful effects on their bodies?

And Hormone Replacement Therapy is no longer the standard of care in post-menopausal women like it was in the pasts for a reason due to its risks of increasing heart disease, breast cancer and stroke. And the type of steroids you are referring to are much more potent than Pempro and other hormones that post-menopausal women take.

Hormone therapy: Is it right for you? - MayoClinic.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies