Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
There are some people on here who are upset because they think the atheists and liberals are picking on Christianity only. It is sad because it is true for whatever reason.

Nothing makes me more disgusted than hypocrites. There are some people on here who hate on Christians and Christianity but drool over defending Muslims. Ew. If you are going to thrash Christianity, trash everyone else too.

If I had extra money, I would put up a billboard that plainly read "Religion is a mental disease" or "What is the difference between Peter Pan and god? They're both fairy tales and fake after all".

I would not pick on just Christianity. All religions are equally useless, untrue, worthless, void and false.

Yeah it may sound hateful but you can't accuse me of being a hypocrite. Why pick on Christianity but give Islam or Judaism a pass?
Exactly TLV!

+1000

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Exactly TLV!

+1000
I never got it.

I mean if you are going to insist that Christians are rude and whatnot, then why don't they call out on the Muslims that murder their wives and daughters or make them cover up? Isn't THAT rude?

If a Christian tells me I am going to hell or whatever, it is rude and some are so quick to cry about it. Whatever. I will laugh it off and go on my way. But if a Muslim does something, we hear the defense "ohhh not all Muslims are like that!"

How about "not all Christians are rude" or something? Seriously. I am sick of it. Yes, I bash Christianity but I bash Islam too.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I guess I don't understand why athiests have a need to proselytize at all. You just come off badly when you do this. If condemning believers is a tenet of atheism, then where are your meetings where you decide these things?
We believers just want to go about our business, and could not care less if you believe or not.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Post #973 for one but SOME posters just buzz in all the time , say something crazy, make ridiculous assumptions with no basis in facts, and then NEVER have the courage to answer questions about what they posted...

christians whine about a billboard, can't answer questions...are they all so weak?? Guess that's my bottom line question....
I could say the same of you. You can go back to post #942, you never answered a question either. But, you are whining about others.
Sometimes, the post just get lost in the madness, no one is ignoring you and I will think the same of you!!

Hint.....I really don't care about the worm!!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I never got it.

I mean if you are going to insist that Christians are rude and whatnot, then why don't they call out on the Muslims that murder their wives and daughters or make them cover up? Isn't THAT rude?
But that's "cultural". Or so goes the excuse...and all the way up to Vicki Miles-LaGrange.

Quote:
If a Christian tells me I am going to hell or whatever, it is rude and some are so quick to cry about it. Whatever. I will laugh it off and go on my way. But if a Muslim does something, we hear the defense "ohhh not all Muslims are like that!"
When a literal reader of "the bible" or a run of the mill bible thumper tells me the same? I shake my head and hope they get a clue. Sooner than later.

Funny thing, the Jehova's and Latter Day's are the ones knocking on my door...where is the outrage about them pushing their beliefs? Literally.

Quote:
How about "not all Christians are rude" or something? Seriously. I am sick of it. Yes, I bash Christianity but I bash Islam too.
I don't believe that the "in your face" approach to anything works. Mocking and insulting and threatening won't work either. I drive down to NC every so ofter, I see religious billboards on the way (after Delaware) and I wonder how much $$ was wasted on a billboard when it could have been spent helping support a soup kitchen, a homeless shelter, etc. Those billboards tell me the same that they do anyone else: I'm going to hell b/c of "A,B,C". Ok. Says you. I'm good with me. I ignore and keep on driving b/c the fundies, to me, are a little nutso.

Maybe that's how people should view the americanatheists.org group...a little fundy and a little nutso. If they're so "OK" with themselves, they should leave it alone.

No one is going to convince anyone of anything when the "message" is insulting. And that goes all around and up and down and sideways.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And I thank you. I would not have been able to realize Christianity or Catholicism more fully if not for my friends of other faiths, which includes pagans. It also includes other denominations of Christianity which have the appearance of being at odds with one another.
I see each not as a schism, but as having adopted a philosophical perspective of an apostle. Each apostle could only see so much without the beam in his eye interfering. How silly that Baptists rolleyes at Catholics rolleyes at Protestants rolleyes...
you know, if people roll their eyes far enough perhaps they'll see themselves a little better? <--- Nope. I still can't see myself, or anyone else, or God. Seems the beams just get more stuck every time folks do it and yet they persist.
<--- I see better this way, and no matter how older and wiser we think we are, we are always our makers children.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 PM

33,549 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I guess I don't understand why athiests have a need to proselytize at all. You just come off badly when you do this. If condemning believers is a tenet of atheism, then where are your meetings where you decide these things?
We believers just want to go about our business, and could not care less if you believe or not.
So far nobody has pointed out any proselytizing in that sign...Aimed at closeted atheists it simply says that they should come out of that closet and admit that they think religion is a myth...I also think it's mythical....Am I proselytizing because of expressing my opinion?

Last edited by sanspeur; 12-05-2010 at 09:54 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Post #973 for one but SOME posters just buzz in all the time , say something crazy, make ridiculous assumptions with no basis in facts, and then NEVER have the courage to answer questions about what they posted...

christians whine about a billboard, can't answer questions...are they all so weak?? Guess that's my bottom line question....
Christians have legitimate grievance sure as Atheists do when gun toting billboards are pointed at them. atheists (small a) flinging poo is just as hideous when christians (small c) do it.

So, in deference to the desire for pure unfettered freedom, could y'all take your contest to the bottom elsewhere? I suggest Antarctica since there are no requirements of CIVILization to uphold there.

Now, if you prefer to get along, I have a suggestion for that too. Try remembering neither of you have all the answers, offer each other the gift of constructive criticism, then walk away with something to ponder. Just a tip from a Catholic who saw that Protestants were right about me. I'm a much improved Catholic as a result, and I wish you to be a much improved Atheist.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So far nobody has pointed out any proselytizing in that sign...Aimed at closeted atheists it simple says that they should come out of that closet and admit that they think religion is a myth...I also think it's mythical....Am I proselytizing because of expressing my opinion?
That is so true. Ok, you don't believe now let others who do believe enjoy the season and Merry Christmas or merry nothing to you. The billboard really does not bother me.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Totally meaningless...
Your parents are not meaningless. They may be valueless to you, but the meaning is there, and the value is there, whether or not you acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies