Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
and religious people do plenty of their own pushing their religions on others.
We can say the same about Atheists!!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times
^actually that's not true. atheists rarely do. they should though and be more vocal.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Mark Chapman, John Lennons assasin, was a born again christian.
Interesting when he worshiped the devil, his words. In fact the devil told him to kill Lennon.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
and religious people do plenty of their own pushing their religions on others.
So atheists do not like religious people pushing their religion so hey they joined them and are now pushing what they believe. LOL I guess they decided it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times
well, atheists issues are not really with personal belief but more how religion needs to stay within it's bounds and not be taught in school as facts etc as it would do if it could. this is why they dislike it and it's really not a personal issue of taste of one vs another. it's that religion uses dogma instead of scientific or critical enquiry. that's okay as long as it's just a personal faith.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
A lot of people were very offended when the Beatles, mainly John spoke of being bigger than Jesus. That didn't go over well, Chapman probably thought he was taking one for the team possibly.

Chapman must have not learned the Ten Commandments.
It was a tongue in cheek joke complaining about too much attention from Joe public, but people took it the way they wanted.

Chapman had autism & reported fantasies of being God pulling the strings of people. He was not an actual practicing Christian, but allowing his mental illness to be dressed up in the part. He did not understand the bible or the teachings of Jesus if he believed himself to be God. It's very sad that our civilization does so little to cure or catch people like this before they go completely off the deep end.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You're complaining about people giving you unsolicited opinions, I'm saying merely by BEING here on these boards, you are soliciting any opinion someone wants to toss your way. So if you have a problem with that, your choice is clear. I respect people that earn it, whether I agree with them or not.

And I wouldn't say that they aren't unsolicited here. But on the street, they are. In my workplace, they are. People do not have a "right" to tell you that you are wrong in what you think or believe, and I certainly don't feel as I have the right to tell other people that what they think is wrong. You are entitled to YOUR belief, whether I think you are wrong, or I agree.

So, in a public place, no opinion should be expressed. At all.

Last edited by TKramar; 12-04-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 11:25 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
well, atheists issues are not really with personal belief but more how religion needs to stay within it's bounds and not be taught in school as facts etc as it would do if it could. this is why they dislike it and it's really not a personal issue of taste of one vs another. it's that religion uses dogma instead of scientific or critical enquiry. that's okay as long as it's just a personal faith.
Not trying to convert anyone, just offer up a solution with a known track record. Catholics have been teaching creationism and evolution in Catholic school side by side. Outside of Catholic schools, those who can't afford it or prefer public schools wind up learning evolution in public school and creationism in catechism classes. They also learn it at home when their parents dedicate time to teach the bible.
I'm hearing so many make it out to be one vs the other and it shouldn't be. If God made all things that would include science, and include evolution itself. People taking the bible too literally when most everything written is in the form of fable/ moral tale imbued with deeper meaning- you're not going to be able to get what I get out of it if your heart isn't open to the grander messages. You're asking me to explain why there is more flavor in my food and it's not possible for me to 'prove' the taste. It's subjective. It's subjective for you too because you can't taste it. The harder I try to articulate my experience to you the more I'd be accused of planting suggestions in your mind to manipulate you into group think. That's a big reason why the teachings of Jesus are spoken in parable form, not as heavy handed mandates of thou shalt. So, where does that leave us? Why are we arguing?

Crude analogy I think religious people are looking at one side of the mountain and scientists are looking at it from the other side. Neither one of us owns eternity or absolute answers, but let's hope we meet in the middle someday. For all we know you and I might meet on the top of that mountain, or in heaven, because it's not for either of us to decide. Atheist or religious- mortals are resigned to let go of controlling that which is beyond their life's work. You don't have to believe in my maker to realize that it's best the plumber not try to take over the job of electrician, and vice versa.

Someday science may be the thing that proves God exists, and won't we all look silly carrying on with petty arguments for centuries? We'll look as silly as a scientist insisting a persons head shape determines their intelligence. We'll look as silly as a Pope insisting with threat of violence that the world is flat when the Bible said no such thing. His imagination filled in the blanks when the tools of science were at his feet. His mistake in judgment does not negate the Bible as a whole, it only means he as an individual had miles yet to walk & allowed his authority to go to his head. Leadership is a very heavy burden.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoddard View Post
Sure, but the billboard isn't trashing Muhammad. I'm a lapsed Catholic, non-believer, agnostic or atheist, whatever. However, I realize, at its core, that western culture was built upon Judeo-Christian principals and that the catholic church is largely responsible for building the greatest countries man has ever inhabited. Yes, they're illegal immigrant loving goons who covered up mass kiddy rape, but it's the message and its accomplishments, not the organization, that I focus on.

They usually say dont shoot the messenger, but in this case, I will(figuratively, of course). The message isn't the problem, it's those who are spreading it and at the time they're deciding to do so. Does the godless message not resonate as well in October or July? And if not, when your message only has certain meaning at certain times of the year, that means your message isn't being delivered as clearly as need be.
So why do Christians talk about Christmas in December?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I agree. It's rude and unnecessary. Whatever point they were trying to make fell flat on it's face IMO.
To get people talking about atheism? No. I'd say that it succeeded.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And I wouldn't say that they aren't unsolicited here. But on the street, they are. In my workplace, they are. People do not have a "right" to tell you that you are wrong in what you think or believe, and I certainly don't feel as I have the right to tell other people that what they think is wrong. You are entitled to YOUR belief, whether I think you are wrong, or I agree.

So, in a public place, no opinion should be expressed. At all.
WRONG! Wrong on so many levels. Yes people do have the "right," it's called the 1st Amendment. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies