Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
And normal people, no matter their religion, don't support crazy groups such as that. What church is the AOG tied to?
The Church of the GOP? They were having banquets in DC. I guess they think they own the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I don't live in the south and where I live in NJ, I have NEVER seen a religious billboard of any type. In the town I live in, we have had 2 mosques go up in the past 5 years (one right next door to a Chinese Christian church). Haven't seen one billboard or heard of/seen anyone complaining/protesting about them...
Indeed it would be interesting to know
1. where these billboards are going up,
2. who they mean to speak to,
3. where those posting are from, and
4. who is too cowardly to speak their peace by looking someone in the eye vs acting like a posse of jerks flinging poo by proxy.

That part of American law- a man has a right to face his accuser-- seems to have gotten tossed out the window in digital corporate age.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not read the whole thread, but I don't understand why someone who doesn't believe in anything would pay to erect a billboard about it.
If an athiest believes in nothing, isn't that a kind of religion?
Reminds me of that Garrison Keilor joke wondering what Unitarians use as religious symbol. He guessed they'd have a giant question mark. That still cracks me up.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Reminds me of that Garrison Keilor joke wondering what Unitarians use as religious symbol. He guessed they'd have a giant question mark. That still cracks me up.
That is so funny. Yes, the Unitarians are a puzzling bunch. I had a friend who went to a "gathering" not sure what they have, meetings? She said she had to leave and got more out of taking a walk. She is now a member of a Christian church.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
There are some people on here who are upset because they think the atheists and liberals are picking on Christianity only. It is sad because it is true for whatever reason.

Nothing makes me more disgusted than hypocrites. There are some people on here who hate on Christians and Christianity but drool over defending Muslims. Ew. If you are going to thrash Christianity, trash everyone else too.

If I had extra money, I would put up a billboard that plainly read "Religion is a mental disease" or "What is the difference between Peter Pan and god? They're both fairy tales and fake after all".

I would not pick on just Christianity. All religions are equally useless, untrue, worthless, void and false.

Yeah it may sound hateful but you can't accuse me of being a hypocrite. Why pick on Christianity but give Islam or Judaism a pass?
Did you forget to beat up Buddhists? Or is there a difference between them and the Abrahamic traditions? Are the Amish making too many demands upon you? Shall we slay them?

Why do you hate me? I am religious.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Did you forget to beat up Buddhists? Or is there a difference between them and the Abrahamic traditions? Are the Amish making too many demands upon you? Shall we slay them?

Why do you hate me? I am religious.
No, I did not. I think Buddhism and all that is fake too. It is just that they aren't discussed as much. They don't cause as much tension, I suppose.

And where did I say to slay anyone? Just because you don't like what I have to say does not mean you have to talk about slaying someone.

And where did I EVER say I hated religious people? Point it out. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is so funny. Yes, the Unitarians are a puzzling bunch. I had a friend who went to a "gathering" not sure what they have, meetings? She said she had to leave and got more out of taking a walk. She is now a member of a Christian church.
Janelle they're good people too. It's just a matter of what you're conditioned to expect. I was raised Catholic but years ago attended Quaker mass with one of my grandmothers. I sat there for an hour annoyed why the priest didn't show up, bewildered how these folks around me could be so patient sitting perfectly quiet without someone getting up and taking charge. How rude to be a no show for your own church. I was fidgeting mad.

My grandmother had a good chuckle over that because she forgot to clue me in before we got there. Quaker mass is an hour of silent prayer shared in fellowship. There is no priest. It went completely over my head. LOL

Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Your parents are not meaningless. They may be valueless to you, but the meaning is there, and the value is there, whether or not you acknowledge.
Parents? What the hell are you talking about? I did not mention my parents..What an underhanded insult that is, nor did you say anything about anybody's parents.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16894321-post994.html

Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
No, I did not. I think Buddhism and all that is fake too. It is just that they aren't discussed as much. They don't cause as much tension, I suppose.
You can think Buddhism is fake but you never discuss them. You are correct that they don't cause as much tension. They appear in many ways to me to do a better job of being Christian than many Christians do. Don't you agree?

Quote:
And where did I say to slay anyone? Just because you don't like what I have to say does not mean you have to talk about slaying someone.

And where did I EVER say I hated religious people? Point it out. Thanks a lot.
Below:

Quote:
If I had extra money, I would put up a billboard that plainly read "Religion is a mental disease"
I have no disease. I am not in distress, require no treatment, and requested no assistance. The burden of proof is upon you to show that I'm mentally unfit. If you insist I'm mentally ill, I only think it right you provide me Noah's Ark asylum cruise ship with shuffle board and free buffets for the rest of my life. Only then will I smile along, with my bible of course, exiled from civilization I've <allegedly> slighted.
And I would smile because I know what a mess you'd make if left to your own devices. There are few human beings equipped to handle curmudgeonly old conservative men. That's why God made old ladies.

Quote:
All religions are equally useless, untrue, worthless, void and false.
Can you beat the religion out of me the way false religious try to beat the gay out of gays?

Quote:
Yeah it may sound hateful
It sounds hateful because it is hateful. Why do you hate me? I am religious. The strength of Atheists is logic, not emotion. Focus hard on what it is precisely that you hate. Reason this through. Be a better Atheist.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Parents? What the hell are you talking about? I did not mention my parents..What an underhanded insult that is, nor did you say anything about anybody's parents.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16894321-post994.html
Parents. Tradition. Our entire civilization is predicated upon all those who built, protected, sacrificed, nurtured... nothing you have today is possible without the operating system provided by whom? Civilization is a culmination of fruits provided by whom? Inspired by whom?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Parents. Tradition. Our entire civilization is predicated upon all those who built, protected, sacrificed, nurtured... nothing you have today is possible without the operating system provided by whom? Civilization is a culmination of fruits provided by whom? Inspired by whom?
Now that is a real stretch, I must say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies