Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Sorry...I don't buy it. It doesn't answer the ultimate question of how it all started.
To get better answers you need to ask better questions. Since it never "started," to ask "how it all started" is the wrong question.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You have 2 choices: either an intelligent creator or not. If you can disprove one, the other is true by default. That is simple, common logic.
So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
since we can prove that it's impossible to get something from nothing, the logical, rational belief is a creator.
Oh.... and you were doing so well. I guess four true sentences in a row was asking too much of you.

Since we can prove that it's impossible to get something from nothing, the logical belief is in an eternal uncreated universe. No other logical conclusion can be reached from that premise.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I think since science has not and can not explain DEATH and or the afterlife.
Science has exactly no problem explaining death.

As to the "afterlife," science has no obvious obligation to explain something that does not exist. It reasonably makes no effort to explain unicorns, Santa Claus, angels or djinn, or Russel's teapot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll
If their is no afterlife what does your critical thinking tell you about your life and what it is worth.
That life is immeasurably more valuable than theists believe, since it is not a dress rehearsal.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
This was my childhood.
Mine too. It would have been really nice to know that I wasn't crazy or defective in some way. That had to wait until I was old enough to escape my parents' home. As a child, when everyone around you claims something is real, and true, but you can't feel or see it...it's pretty disturbing to think there is something wrong with you.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That life is immeasurably more valuable than theists believe, since it is not a dress rehearsal.
Life is astonishingly beautiful and interesting. I'm so glad the freak roll of the genetic dice came up with the combination that made me. I won the Life Lottery! Of course if it hadn't I wouldn't care, but since I'm here...damn, it's good.

I regret that it will have to end someday, but it's really nice while it's happening.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Its funny how the atheist ask for critical thinking.
Explain the humor, please.

Quote:
On a personal matter I believe in GOD and that is about how far my process goes. I think and notice this vast universe something of which no science will truly understand. I think since science has not and can not explain DEATH and or the afterlife. If their is no afterlife what does your critical thinking tell you about your life and what it is worth. Why and or how did we get here and how does evolution really work IF its evolution at all? Is it still logical to think beyond what you see and can scientifically prove as fact only because we don't know EVERYTHING! A atheist has not learned to be humble because for Atheists they are so intelligent not to be "fooled" by religion they somehow they think they are enlightened. How do you explain the unknown that science has not found yet, do you just guess?
A scientific "guess" is always acknowledged to be just that. Science doesn't claim to know it all or to have all the answers. Science urges us to keep questioning and looking for more.

Religion tends to see knowledge as a threat.

Quote:
Guessing is almost as good as faith. If you want people to think beyond religious teachings you might want to give people purpose and critical ways to deal with life as you condemn the bible. The Bible I think is a teaching tool or I would say maybe a 2000 year old Life coach and I'm not saying you have to agree with it. Life is a learning experience in both the scientific and a human exisitance which brings about hate, love, sadness and happiness all of which are not from religion! For the same people who wrote the bible and every scientific discovery later to be disproved they were all written by men! Even the bible was written by men.
Which is flawed in its very nature. Atheist see religious people as misguided idiots of which to them is worse then believing in a GOD. In fact they won't even listen to someone who even mentions the word GOD that it might lower their IQ just by being in the same room as them. They read books by other Atheists putting them in GOD like status all the while thinking it takes any skill to point of the obvious.
A lot of anger and projection in that little tirade.

We atheists are little fish existing in a big sea of believers. And the believers would very much like to see us eaten by the sharks. We tend to keep a low profile. We don't often make public displays. On the rare occasions we do (like the billboard in the OP) we become targets of irrational anger and venom.

Quote:
I have no room for atheists in my life and no room for religious fanatics.
Both see the world in black and white because both of them can not and will not put their hate for each other and their faith in the ideas of MEN.
These are ideas of men or groups of mankind of which neither should be religions or the teachings of people looking for answers.
The only thing I believe in is the freedom of a individual to make up his own mind and not force others to think like them in schools or places of learning.
Knowledge of what you know can be and should be questioned for your individual growth but also be a learned lesson so you might not make the same mistakes.
Unless they're atheists, right?

OK, we promise to stay away from you.

Do these billboards cause the same venomous reaction from you?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jo7lJoQhtj...blican_com.jpg

http://www.researchersoftruth.net/im..._Billboard.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NRWYVCJ461...avenOrHell.JPG

Please explain how the atheist billboard threatens you in any way.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Oh, my. That IS a stretch. Tell me, did this little girl live in the NY/NJ area?
This is no stretch... I grew up in Bible Thumping Country and if you were to question anything, you were told you were going to hell. At age 15, my parents thought I was old enough to make my own decisions about church and I never went again. In my first year of college, I took a lot of random courses including Biology, Ecology and Evolution, and Religions of the World. I learned a lot, and am very glad I educated myself in such a way. A couple of years ago, I went with my mother to church on Easter. It was the worst thing I have experienced thus far in my life - I am not even kidding. It was horrible; the preacher was overdoing it, and he just seemed like a real creeper. I almost threw up and had to excuse myself before the lecture was over. I haven't stepped foot inside a church since then, and my life couldn't be more fabulous.

Last edited by proudvoterofObama; 12-01-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Mine too. It would have been really nice to know that I wasn't crazy or defective in some way. That had to wait until I was old enough to escape my parents' home. As a child, when everyone around you claims something is real, and true, but you can't feel or see it...it's pretty disturbing to think there is something wrong with you.
I agree completely. I was so freaked out one day b/c I had told a fib to my mother at the age of 5, I made her take me to the church so I could be saved by our preacher... I couldn't sleep b/c I was afraid I might die and go to hell; AT AGE 5! It's disturbing how they lay in fear to kids. There's no way I would subject my child to such abuse.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I agree completely. I was so freaked out one day b/c I had told a fib to my mother at the age of 5, I made her take me to the church so I could be saved by our preacher... I couldn't sleep b/c I was afraid I might die and go to hell; AT AGE 5! It's disturbing how they lay in fear to kids. There's no way I would subject my child to such abuse.
Yeah, when I was about that age I used to sleep with a bible on my chest so that Satan wouldn't get me. The things people do to kids in the name of religion is disgusting.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
The there was the nun who told my wife at age 6 that her father would go to hell because he was born protestant.

(my wife was sent to a catholic elementary school)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies