Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
When you have the Republican Senate Pro Temp of South Carolina leading a gala celebration of the 150th Anniversary of South Carolina's secession that isn't exactly going to help the GOP appeal to African Americans....
It could be worse....imagine if he was a former member of the KKK.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 01:11 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
You will only find red cars when you look for them. I suggest you turn your search around and see what each party did in the opposite... Of course that would require an open mind... Here I'll start you off ... Abe Lincoln - spoke for slavery, his primary concern was the division of the country not slavery

JFK - instrumental in civil rights and getting blacks right to vote..

now try looking for a blue car and see what you find and you will have your answer.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How?
You need to ask a black guy. I am not one.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You need to ask a black guy. I am not one.
Then how do you know that " today, the interests of blacks as a group are better supported by the Democrats than the Republicans."

Were you just making that up?

Old 12-23-2010, 01:17 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
It could be worse....imagine if he was a former member of the KKK.....
Byrd condemned and apologized for his previous views many times over the past 30+ years.

Fact of the matter is when you have these celebration galas and crap to celebrate the Confederacy and celebrate Succession and all that other garbage, its the Republicans who take part in these events.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Byrd condemned and apologized for his previous views many times over the past 30+ years.
Well then,it doesn't matter....all forgotten.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is when you have these celebration galas and crap to celebrate the Confederacy and celebrate Succession and all that other garbage, its the Republicans who take part in these events.
Interesting you find this more offensive than having former members of the KKK in your party.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Well then,it doesn't matter....all forgotten.

Interesting you find this more offensive than having former members of the KKK in your party.
Byrd's previous actions and associations were horrific. I never said otherwise. However, there is a difference between realizing you were wrong, condemning your past associations and celebrating those things like it was a good thing

Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've done ok...don't really need much of anything. However, i'm an FDR Democrat, and everything that comes along with that (well, 99% of it) is what i stand for.

I don't look for the party to do something for me specifically.
You may want to reconsider your opinion:

Bad Deal - Reason Magazine
Quote:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt ranks near or at the very top of almost every standard list of America's greatest presidents. But there is a substantial part of the American public for whom the legendary four-termer did little: African Americans. Despite the determined efforts of his do-gooder wife Eleanor, for example, he failed to support federal anti-lynching legislation and refused to integrate the armed forces.
Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" ONLY, per the Terms of Service.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2010 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Then how do you know that " today, the interests of blacks as a group are better supported by the Democrats than the Republicans."

Were you just making that up?
No... I wasn't making it up. If you consider "today" to be the recent history within the memory of living and voting blacks, Democrats get credit for all the significant civil rights legislation if the last half century, and Republicans were hostile to it. Republicans used to have the vast majority of the black vote. But the switch took place with some finality during the Johnson administration when he pushed through the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 (outlawing segregation in public places) and his eventual Republican opponent, Sen. Barry Goldwater, opposed it. The following year Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since, and Republicans have done essentially nothing since to reclaim the high ground regarding issues of civil rights or discrimination. The constituency to which the Republican Party panders is corporations and the wealthy... groups in which black Americans are underrepresented.

It genuinely has less to do with what Democrats have done for them than that Republicans could not care less about them.

Now... I know given the fact that the white working class continues to vote overwhelmingly against their self interest by supporting Republicans, it would be wrong to try and pass off such voting patterns as being intuitively obvious. But given that the OP needs to reach back 150 years to make a case for black support of Republicans should be your first clue that the issue boils down entirely to, "What have you done for me lately?"

Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Byrd's previous actions and associations were horrific. I never said otherwise. However, there is a difference between realizing you were wrong, condemning your past associations and celebrating those things like it was a good thing
Who was celebrating the KKK,or do you equate the KKK with Southern history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies