Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
You know as well as I do that if there was a republican president in office and a republican First Lady had made healthy eating her cause that this would not be an issue with republicans.

Yes, I will admit that if this were the case that people on the left would be jumping all over her for her party menu...but you and other righties, would be tripping over each other to defend her.

Oh, it's just a party they would say...but they eat healthy foods the majority of the time they would say...let them have fun every now and then, etc...etc, etc...

The real issue here is not what the Obama's ate, or didn't eat...the real issue here is just another chance for righties to be critical of the Obama's.
I like the idea of promoting healthy eating and I hope no one on here got a different idea. It is not the menu they had so much as it is the methods they use to get things done. Stop being big brother and give choices and not orders. I don't think the Obamas know how this works. I just figured they served these foods because they are cheaper than other choices. They only choose the best when they are eating it.

Now when it comes to crime, they need to stop making excuses and put some people in prison, close the borders, hire people that have paid their taxes and shouldn't be in prison, etc. These people have things backwards. When crime goes and children find it safe to go outside and play the way they used to and some have been taken from their beds at night, obesity will no longer be a problem. We are all held hostage with fear in our own homes and he thinks the way to do away with this is to take honest peoples guns. ??

Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm imagining them serving tofu and hummus and I'm thinking, "This party sucks."
If they would have served tofu and hummus instead of a variety of foods, they would have been blasted for being "elitists." There's no pleasing people who are purposely attacking someone as a blood sport. There's no sense or logic to it...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If they would have served tofu and hummus instead of a variety of foods, they would have been blasted for being "elitists." There's no pleasing people who are purposely attacking someone as a blood sport. There's no sense or logic to it...
Seriously... remember "arugula?"

Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
She did, and does.

Michelle's "garden" is tended by govt employees and produces impossible crop yields that would put a real farmer to shame.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are the Obamas obese?
Michelle is no Twiggy, in fact she is a bit chunky or Ruebenesque, and PBO probably hasn't quit smoking at all, since I haven't observed any weight gain in the last year. Weight gain normally follows smoking cessation.

These people are all hat and no cattle when it comes to what they tell everyone else to do and what they do themselves.

"Mommy, mommy can I have another ice cream cone?"

"Hey, hey babe, this isn;t a cigarrette, it is only a roll of tobacco"....

"Ok Ok honey dear, you don't see my cheeseburger and fries, and I don't see you smoke."

Hey SS guy there in the blue suit with that thing stuck in your ear...Give the children the money for their cones please"

Yes ma'am".....ROTFLMAO

MMS: Error

Quote:
<H1>Weight Gain after Cessation of Cigarette Smoking — A Possible Role for Adipose-Tissue Lipoprotein Lipase
Quote:

Robert M. Carney, Ph.D., and Andrew P. Goldberg, M.D.
N Engl J Med 1984; 310:614-616March 8, 1984

Abstract Cigarette smokers weigh less than nonsmokers and gain weight when they stop smoking. Increased activity of lipoprotein lipase in adipose tissue in some smokers may represent a compensatory response to their reduced body weight. Consequently, we hypothesized that the enzyme's activity may be related to the rate at which smokers gain weight when they stop smoking. To test this hypothesis, we measured body weight and fasting lipoprotein lipase activity in adipose tissue in 15 cigarette smokers before they stopped smoking. The changes in body weight during the first two weeks of abstinence were correlated with the base-line lipase activity in these smokers (r = 0.82, P<0.0002). This relation remained significant in the 12 subjects who were still abstinent at three weeks (r = 0.63, P<0.03).
These results suggest that lipoprotein lipase activity in adipose tissue has a counterregulatory role in the maintenance of body weight and adipose-tissue mass in smokers. The higher the level of lipase activity when the weight-reducing influences of cigarettes cease, the greater the rate at which weight is gained during the first three weeks of abstinence. (N Engl J Med 1984; 310:614–6.)

Supported by a contract (N01 HV2 2916L) and a Clinical Research Center grant (RR 00036) from the National Institutes of Health.

Media in This Article

Figure 1Relation between the Change in Body Weight during the Two Weeks Immediately after Cessation of Smoking and Fasting Levels of Lipoprotein Lipase Activity in Adipose Tissue in the 15 Subjects Who successfully Stopped Smoking for Two Weeks.

</H1>
Estimating the Effect of Smoking Cessation on Weight Gain: An Instrumental Variable Approach

Quote:
Objective
To propose and test a method that produces an unbiased estimate of the average effect of smoking cessation on weight gain. Previous estimates may be biased due to unobservable differences in attributes of quitters and continuing smokers. An accurate estimate of weight gain due to cessation is important for policymakers, health managers, clinicians, consumers, and developers of smoking cessation aids.

Study Setting
Our analysis consisted of an instrumental variables (IVs) approach in which treatment assignment in randomized smoking cessation trials served as a random source of variation in probability of quitting.

Data Collection
We searched the medical literature for previously conducted smoking cessation trials that contained data suitable for our reanalysis.

Principal Findings
We identified one trial for our reanalysis, the Lung Health Study, a randomized smoking cessation trial with 5,887 smokers aged 35–60 from 1986 to 1994 in several sites across the United States. In our IV reanalysis, we estimated a 9.7 kg weight gain over 5 years due to cessation, as compared with the conventional estimate of 5.3 kg.

Conclusions
The true effect of smoking cessation on weight gain may be larger than previously estimated. This result indicates the importance of fully understanding the possible weight effects of cessation and underscores the need to accompany cessation programs with weight management interventions. The result, however, does not overturn the conclusion that the net health benefits of quitting are positive and very large. The application of the IV technique we propose is likely to be useful in a variety of contexts in which one is interested in the effect of one health condition on another

Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Michelle's "garden" is tended by govt employees and produces impossible crop yields that would put a real farmer to shame.
Lol, if you think the yields are impossible, you must not know as much about gardening as you think you do.
Its not that hard to get high yields, and be organic.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Wait, you just said government emplyees are more productive and better at their jobs than real farmers.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,817 times
Quote:
Maybe we should have government farms if they are so good at farming?Oh wait, that was tried in the old Soviet Union one of our main importers of grain at one time.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The US has 90 million obese people (BMI of 30+). Obese people on average require $1500 more per year in healthcare spending than non-obese people. That's $135,000,000,000 fat people add in excess cost to our healthcare system every year. Not to mention fat people are less productive.

I think we should institute a $1500 per year fat tax on the obese to recoup this money - most of which is subsidized by the healthy.
Judging by Meechelle's looks, I wonder how much her personal obesity costs taxpayers?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Judging by Meechelle's looks, I wonder how much her personal obesity costs taxpayers?
Your jealousy is showing
Michelle is normal and healthy and her health hasn't cost taxpayers as much as

Dick Cheney's heart....wow, HE must be really unhealthy....

Besides, Repugs insist there is nothing wrong with the cost of health care in America....so why complain....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies