Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The fact that you don't want it does not mean that the other 40+ million uninsured do not want it.
The reports indicate that many of the uninsured are uninsured BY CHOICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why cant liberals figure out this simple fact....insurance is not care
Quite right, it is not care. It is a way of paying for care when you get sick. The other way is not to carry insurance and let the government or those with insurance pay for your care through taxes and increased premiums.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM

27,158 posts, read 15,330,669 times
If we had insurance that covered major items instead of paying for every little thing like the flu and routine Drs. visits, Marriage Counseling and the like it would be a lot better and cheaper.

Sort of like we used to.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
medicare for all???..and just whom will pay for it...it is unaffordable to the taxpayer
Medicare payroll tax - you wouldn't even miss it.

This notion that America can not afford universal health
care is the dumbest argument I have ever heard.
WE CAN NOT AFFORD NOT TO HAVE IT.

What's not affordable is our military policy and
occupation around the world.

Know the facts.

Medicare for All: bottomline

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Know the facts.

We have universal health care. Everyone is treated irrespective of ability to pay. But the way we deliver it (via the ER) is highly inefficient and we never figured out a fair universal way to pay for it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
uhm

you do

here is another question..which is financially smarter....

paying $50-200 or more a week for insurance....or paying the $100 out of pocket for an annual doctor vistit...and you ONLY go once a year
Its like liberals cant figure out the math.. Take that $50 a week they dont pay, put it into an account, and in 5 years, they have $12,500 (+ interest) to cover medical bills needed... So have people get a $12,500 catastrophic insurance policy.. As you build up money, you increase your policy..

But liberals.. We cant have people be responsible and put money aside to pay their own bills.. we must take their money from them by force, and hold onto it to pay your bills for you. I often wonder if liberals havent been able to get out of their "I need my mommy" stage when they were growing up.. now that they moved out of their parents home, (I would assume), and mommy isnt there, they have to look to the government.. "I need my government"..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Quite right, it is not care. It is a way of paying for care when you get sick. The other way is not to carry insurance and let the government or those with insurance pay for your care through taxes and increased premiums.
Wrong.. that was GOVERNMENTS choice was to require everyone get care.. You had no problem with that did you, so why are you moaning and groaning about the ramifications which were the results?

p.s. did you create your website to encourage the abolishing of water bills, or to require renters to help pitch in and buy home owners insurance, or a national burrial program yet? Surely everyone again needs water, a place to live, and dies at one point right? When will you support these things being REQUIRED of all citizens BY FORCE?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
We have universal health care. Everyone is treated irrespective of ability to pay. But the way we deliver it (via the ER) is highly inefficient and we never figured out a fair universal way to pay for it.
Wrong.. Everyone is treated to the point that their life is not in danger then they are kicked out the door.. Those with insurance or the ability to pay will receive EXTRA care.. Anything over and above the ability to pay is CHARITY.. on the graces of the hospital.. You dont force people to pay for things that are charitably given..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Oooh I almost fell off my chair laughing.. So you think we could have national healthcare by simply using medicare, which is running in the red, to cover EVERYONE? Tell me exactly how you plan to cover 300,000,000 americans on such a small amount of money? Tell me why it costs thousands to buy insurance, and you think we can cover people on a medicare payroll tax costing hundreds?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:

Know the facts.

wrong

1. medicare is not 100% like medicaid...so PEOPLE would be faced with a 20% bill. and NEEDING to buy suplemental isnurance just like our elderly get screwed on everyday

2. medicare THIS YEAR cost over 500 billion dollars..and that is NOT covering its people at 100%.....and yes we all know the elderly are the most costly demographic

3. the COST of a UHC with 100% coverage would be anywhere between 2.5 to 5 trillion A YEAR...meaning the 80% coverage would cost 2 to 4 trillion dollars a year. to cover the entire population of 315 million USA citizens

4. of that 2-4 trillion (2.5 to 5 trillion@ 100% coverage) about 800 billion is already in the budget(the 500 billion for medicare and the 300 billion for medicaid) so the actual ADDITIONAL cost would be only 1.2 to 3.2 (1.7 to 4.2) trillion dollars

5. of that 1.2 to 4.2 trillion dollars. that means the 115 million taxpayers (number of 1040's filed with thee IRS) would EACH be stuck with 10,400 to 36500 dollar tax bill.

can you afford an ADDITIONAL 10k to 35k taxbill....I think not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies