Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It is wrong to assume that the millions of uninsured Americans are uninsured because they don't want health insurance.
WRONG.. I dont have health insurance because I dont want it. So much for your argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
this argument is flawed. many things are mandatory expenses, taxes are mandatory,
Wrong.. you can choose to not earn money
Quote:
businesses have costs which are mandatory to meet regulatory requiremnts etc.
You can choose to not run a business
Quote:
making health insurance mandatory makes it more like a tax/regulatory requirement than a consumption product. but it doesn't make it evil.
So now you are being regulated for the right to breath?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
WRONG.. I dont have health insurance because I dont want it. So much for your argument
The fact that you don't want it does not mean that the other 40+ million uninsured do not want it.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
if your idea of liberty is getting screwed by a health insurers then knock yourself out.
I dont get screwed by the insurance companies.. I invest in the same manner they do with your premiums.. The fact that you choose to outsource your costs is YOUR problem.. not mine.. I shouldnt be punished because you arent capable to do what many americans are doing..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/op...html?src=twrhp

Pretty much the best argument that I've read FOR Obamacare. Yes, the Obamacare legislation is not perfect, but repeal is not the answer. "Health insurance should remain a choice" is just a fallacy of an argument, because for millions of Americans, it is not currently an option. Unless you have a job that offers you health insurance, it is very difficult to buy it as an individual.

It is wrong to assume that the millions of uninsured Americans are uninsured because they don't want health insurance.
ObamaCare should never have been passed. It is Big
Pharm /Insurance Industry Dream come true. An IRS
invasion. Tell Obama to run as a Republican next time

The new Improved Medicare for all

Medicare for All: Home

Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/op...html?src=twrhp

Pretty much the best argument that I've read FOR Obamacare. Yes, the Obamacare legislation is not perfect, but repeal is not the answer. "Health insurance should remain a choice" is just a fallacy of an argument, because for millions of Americans, it is not currently an option. Unless you have a job that offers you health insurance, it is very difficult to buy it as an individual.

on the dont want point:
of the 20-40 million (many different opinions on that number) of uninsured. there is a percentage of those that dont WANT insurance , for the most part they are single 20-somethings that never go to the doctor anyway...why would a person spend 50 a week or more to have insurance that they will never use

on the cost point:
what good it it to have obamacare, which is a mandate that you BUY insurance (or pay a fine) if you cant afford insurance to begin with

obamacare needs to be repealed, then redone the proper way

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
ObamaCare should never have been passed. It is Big
Pharm /Insurance Industry Dream come true. An IRS
invasion. Tell Obama to run as a Republican next time

The new Improved Medicare for all

Medicare for All: Home
medicare for all???..and just whom will pay for it...it is unaffordable to the taxpayer

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Not really. Everyone has health. It might be good, bad or indifferent but they have it. So, the question is, if you don't have insurance then who pays when you get sick or have an accident?
Government created the problem that we have today.. Many americans only need catastrophic insurance, but its increasingly more difficult to obtain this... Most people dont need coverage for dental, vision, routine doctor visits, but of course government mandates these be covered and paid for by insurance companies increasing costs of everyone.. I have just catastrophic, starting at $100K because I can afford to cover up to that amount without an undue burdeon on my family.. If you can afford $20K, then you should get a $20K catastrophic policy..

I dont wanna hear about the boo hoo hoo, the poor cant afford to spend $75 to go to the doctors. that argument gets old here..

To use your example that everyone has health fine.. Everyone lives in a home..Some rent, some buy.. Are you telling me that renters should be FORCED to buy home owner policies on homes they rent? After all, using your liberal arguments, the more people pay into it, the lower the cost right? (Despite the fact that the CBO projected HIGHER costs, not lower)... Remember.. Everyone has a home to live in right? Hey.. we could encourage more people to be homeless to avoid paying your forced home tax.. wouldnt that be wonderful?

Hey.. we should all be forced to buy burrial insurance right? After all everyone dies would you not agree? Who pays for you if you die and cant afford to be burried? NATIONAL BURRIAL INSURANCE COMING SOON..

As an uninsured individual I expect you to pay for ZERO.. Nadda.. ZIP.. If I cant pay when I show up at the emergency room, ship me out the door.. yes its cruel but so is having people live homeless, people starve, cant afford to pay their water bills and heating bills and yet we shut off these utilities on people right? I'd say water is needed much more than "insurance" wouldnt you agree? So when are you going to demand EVERYONE pitches in for water so we dont ever shut it off on individuals? You die much quicker without water than you do with insurance... We can just have a national tax on your tax return to cover everyones water in the nation.. Good bye water bills, hello NATIONAL WATER ASSURANCE PROGRAM...

Your argument is totally flawed, rethink it because I'm having fun giving you examples of things EVERYONE does but arent forced to pay for..

Last edited by pghquest; 03-05-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The fact that you don't want it does not mean that the other 40+ million uninsured do not want it.
why cant liberals figure out this simple fact....insurance is not care

Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Not really. Everyone has health. It might be good, bad or indifferent but they have it. So, the question is, if you don't have insurance then who pays when you get sick or have an accident?
uhm

you do

here is another question..which is financially smarter....

paying $50-200 or more a week for insurance....or paying the $100 out of pocket for an annual doctor vistit...and you ONLY go once a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies