Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong.. they reason they force you to buy car insurance is to protect OTHERS.. If you wreck into someone else and cause THEM damages, you are insuring THEM..
Two words

Infectious disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMePost View Post
My point is that you're forced to buy insurance in most states for cars.
No your not.. You are forced to buy insurance if you want to DRIVE the cars.. and this insurance is to protect OTHERS that you might cause harm to.. Its not to protect you..
Quote:
Nobody likes it, but we see the purpose and auto insurance isn't absolutely unaffordable.
Yes, I see the value in insuring OTHERS against damages if I'm careless.. Do you see the difference? The fact that its not unaffordable is because government doesnt require the car insurance companies to pay for the oil changes, to insure the motors, the transmissions etc.. They do with health insurance..
Quote:
The problem with healthcare insurance is that we're having a larger baby boomer population about to get old and need care. It's going to be costly for insurer's and most likely they'll find a way to drop those people making healthcare highly unaffordable. and a nightmare.
Wrong.. its government making insurance unaffordable by requiring insurance companies to provide care that is not needed.. Example again, dentist, routine dr visits etc.. Many can pay these out of pocket but the government doesnt allow these service not to be covered.. Also in addition because government pays such a high percentage of claims, (through medicare/medicaid), and they dont pay enough to cover the proceedures, these costs are passed onto others.. If government would pay $5 a year to insure their vehicles, the cost of car insurance would surely climb.. Who do you think pays for the losses needed to be made up?
Quote:
Also, when you can't get insured for auto insurance and can't drive your own car, you have a public option.
And that public option doesnt afford you free bus tickets or free plane tickets.. try again..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Two words

Infectious disease.
So your insurance company pays the medical bills if you give someone else the flu?

Two words
False analagy..

p.s. the government already pays for infectious diseases and outbreaks.. Remember the bird flu?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Yes, Single payer will lower the costs

Physicians for a National Health Program

Medicare for ALL
Medicare for All: bottomline
NO singlepayer will not lower costs

it will not lower the cost of a plastercast
it will not lower the cost of a mri machine
it will not lower the cost of a xray machine made in denmark
it will not lower the rent/lease/mortgage on that doctors office
will it make perscription drugs cheaper....no
will they lower the costs of running a hospital or doctors office....no
will they lower the electric costs to run a hospital/doctors office...NO...in fact with cap and trade, everyone electric bills will be going UP

singlepayer will not lower anything..it will cost 2.5 to 5 trillion a year...AND RISING

do you really think nurses will want to work for minimum wage????

remember when you pay the doctor xxxx amount of dollars, that is not just going into the doctors pocket...it covers his rent/mortgage/property taxes, his electric bills, his water and other utilities, any equipment he has/wishes to purchase, and his help (nurse, recept,transcriptionist, etc)...and that equipment he bought has to be paid for...if he bought an xray or mri.. he is SAVING you because he is providing you better service, and easier service (doesnt have to send you ELSEWHERE to a radialogist for an ADDDITIONAL fee from that seperate entity)..an MRI machine is about 1.3 million dollars( even if he paid 10k a month (a pretty hefty bill) it would take hime 10 years (10kx12monthsx10 years=1.2 million) to pay it off...do you really think the doctor can lkower his bill much more and still afford to keep his doors open???

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I do disagree with that situation. Taxes for a safety net should only go to the safety net and transparity and oversight to make it happens should be enforced.

I am one of the first to criticize government and say how it can be a self serving beast but that doesn't mean government can't work for the people if used properly.

Just because we are nation of individual rights doesn't mean we can't come together for certain solutions when that may be the best solution.
Actually it does.. The constitution indeed says NO to anything NOT in the constitution.. I know.. if you want to completely ignore the laws which govern how we operate, then you can pretty much do whatever you want, right?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times
Quote:
So your insurance company pays the medical bills if you give someone else the flue?

Two words
False analagy..

p.s. the government already pays for infectious diseases and outbreaks.. Remember the bird flu?
So if I get hospitalized for TB tomorrow, the government will foot the bill? H1N1? I don't have to pay? Thats a joke, the hospital will hunt you down to get the bill paid. When I need antibiotics the government will pay for them? Show me the law that says that.

From an infectious disease standpoint, an insurance mandate should take away the cost stigma of seeking help if someone thinks they're sick.

If I think I have some disease and I can't afford treatment, I'm not going to go to a hospital until I'm at death's door. In the meantime I've run living my lifearound and possibly infected many other people who will have to pay for my irresponsibility. Very simple concept.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Tuition costs rise because government funding is being cut.
Wrong.. tuition costs rise even though some colleges are sitting on enough money that they could give free college away FOREVER.. Why do they continue to raise the costs even though they are sitting on BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of dollars? Because government increases their payments and they arent about ready to turn down free money..

Views: Pell Grants: Glass Half Full - Inside Higher Ed

Looked at another way, in constant terms, funding for Pell Grants in the last three decades has grown by 143 percent.

Sorry funding is not being cut, despite your claims..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So if I get hospitalized for TB tomorrow, the government will foot the bill? H1N1? I don't have to pay? Thats a joke, the hospital will hunt you down to get the bill paid. When I need antibiotics the government will pay for them? Show me the law that says that.

From an infectious disease standpoint, an insurance mandate should take away the cost stigma of seeking help if someone thinks they're sick.

If I think I have some disease and I can't afford treatment, I'm not going to go to a hospital until I'm at death's door. In the meantime I've run living my lifearound and possibly infected many other people who will have to pay for my irresponsibility. Very simple concept.
The government indeed pays for many of these costs.. The government for example paid ALL costs for the swine flue vacines..

And my local grocery store gives away free antibiotics to everyone, with or without insurance..
Giant Eagle - Free Antibiotics (http://www.gianteagle.com/pharmacy/free-antibiotics - broken link)
Nice try though at just being ridiculous and avoiding the facts that car insurance is to insure OTHERS while healthcare is not. You dont buy healthcare to protect me from damages if you get sick. I'm not affected if you get sick, you get cancer, nor does it matter to me if you die.. I know, heartless but thats the facts.

You can however drive down the street and wreck into my car causing me unnecessary repairs, put me in the hospital, cause me damages that you should pay for because you caused them. Home insurance is no different.. You are required to have home insurance to protect the bank, and others on your property. You are not required to buy extra insurance to cover your damages in the event your home burns to the ground.

Government is there to protect you from OTHERS doing you harm.

If you cant comprehend the difference then I feel sorry for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Actually it does.. The constitution indeed says NO to anything NOT in the constitution.. I know.. if you want to completely ignore the laws which govern how we operate, then you can pretty much do whatever you want, right?

Well then you have this situation. A law or policy is enacted and someone can take it to court and call it unconstitutional and maybe they will win.

However if they do win the situation will be left as this....

Taxes for covering those who can't get insurance or afford treatment will be ended, and so will those people's treatment. Insuance and the medical industry as free enterprise will be free to charge whatever they want and deny who ever they want. Those who cannot pay will be left to die or suffer.

Now, seeing as how all of us sooner or later will develop some sort of emergency , sooner or later we will all be left in financial ruin or death and or suffering under that scenerio.. Sooner or later after you develop your emergency your insurance will deem you undesirable forth on. Unless you are a multi millionaire which in that case 20K or so a year to continue your life or stop pain is pocket change to pay......

Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Insurers will pay? Check out my thread here. My appendix operation (one night in the hospital stay) had a bill of 30k, insurance settled for 10k.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...oday-30-a.html

Now imagine it as customer pay, during a emergency you don't have the option to shop, you go and they bill you what they decide.....
If they settled at $10,000 a fair price was probably around $3500 and that is all anyone should have to pay.

I have personally negotiated lower rates than what I was billed for even though I had medical insurance. People need to NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY MEDICAL BILLS.

Just because you receive a bill doesn't mean you owe it. Chances are excellent you are being ripped off. The providers will charge you whatever you can get away with.

The way to negotiate with them is to research the lowest rates that were accepted for the services you received. Do a search on-line for "Medicare Reimbursement rates, CPT code _ _ _ _ _" and your city and state and see what you find. Or simply do a search for "low cost ______" and see what you find.

Offer to pay that rate or or even what you think is fair and say that you will be writing a "Letter to the Editor" of your local paper telling everyone about your experience and how XYZ hospital and doctor is trying to overcharge you.... or they can accept the rate you are offering. You can also say that if they insist on gouging you, you will pay the bill at the rate of $5 per month until it is paid (or they can accept the reasonable rate you are offering in cash today and accept that as payment in full. They will of course choose the latter. These techniques are HIGHLY effective. I have seen such letters in the paper and usually a few days later there will be a response from the hospital saying everything has been resolved with the patient that had written in.

Part of the reason cost and insurance is so high is Americans go along with it. WAKE UP everyone. Medical care is not worth anywhere close to what people are paying for it -- especially for those with chronic conditions who are'nt getting any better at all. All they are doing is living with their disease while Rx covers up the symptoms.

Doctor and Congressman Ron Paul said he used to work delivering babies on an emergency basis and got paid $3.00 an hour and he went to Duke Medical School! That was probably in the early 60's but still!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies