Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Keep going, righties. Prove to everyone what cold-hearted bastards you are.

A cell phone is often the only way that a poor or homeless person can get a job. How do you leave a phone number for an employer when you live in your car, or at a shelter? And how many minutes do they get? It's probably minimal, I'd bet.

Seriously, what's wrong with you people?
boo hoo hoo, someone poor cant afford a cell phone and we're cold-hearted bastards because we understand that this is being paid with by TAX dollars and we dont agree? Whats next, free computers using justification that they can look for a job online.. I'd say free babysitting, or free car repairs, but I know people who have received both from the government.

Clinton, it takes a village, it sure does when you dont teach people that if they want luxury items, even generic cell phones that they need to PAY FOR IT..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 04:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
There has been a Universal Life Line charge on my phone bill for as long as I can remember. This is the modern equivalent.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx

You are Eligible if:

Completely ridiculous. Cell phone is a luxury item and these welfare losers get a free cell phone? This has got to stop!
And what is the purpose of this pork bill spending?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:19 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I'm sorry, did you have a point, or just further proof that you've never even seen a bad neighborhood?
I'd have to say that I'm not at all surprised to hear that you missed the point. More or less predictable, from what I've observed. But why don't you go on about all this bling that your average food-stamp shopper is tricked out in. Should be very informative. Whatever you do though, don't go off and look up what the income and resource limits are to get food stamps first. That would spoil all the fun...

Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
There has been a Universal Life Line charge on my phone bill for as long as I can remember. This is the modern equivalent.
Not to mention the excise tax that subsidizes unprofitable service into rural areas. You know about rural areas, right...that's where all the antisocials go to be free men dependent only on themselves...

Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I heard something about this. the grocery store I shop at has a lot of people on food stamps shopping there. you would be shocked at some of the luxury items they have. I enjoy glaring at them.

The cell phones are used to call 911 if they want minutes, they will have to purchase them. But it seems kind of funny, those very same people that your blasting have been getting free phone service courtesy of the university service fund that you pay for your phone bill and have paid on your phone bill for the last 10 years.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
And what is the purpose of this pork bill spending?
Maybe some answers for you

DC has made cellphone programs available to the homeless for some years now. No one familiar with the results seems to have anything but good things to say. Being a success of course might be trumped by what some people seem to think of as moral values...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx
Cell phone is a luxury item and these welfare losers get a free cell phone?
I hope someday conservatives will join the rest of us in the 21st Century. Of course that will require accepting evolution, and coming to understand that cell phones are no longer luxury items but are pretty much a modern necessity.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Keep going, righties. Prove to everyone what cold-hearted bastards you are.

A cell phone is often the only way that a poor or homeless person can get a job. How do you leave a phone number for an employer when you live in your car, or at a shelter? And how many minutes do they get? It's probably minimal, I'd bet.

Seriously, what's wrong with you people?
seriously? YOU are just an example of what is wrong with the world. your mother must be ashamed.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
if it makes it any better. welfare is going thru draconian changes right here right now.
most are scarcely aware of where it is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies