Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hope someday conservatives will join the rest of us in the 21st Century. Of course that will require accepting evolution, and coming to understand that cell phones are no longer luxury items but are pretty much a modern necessity.
I am a Liberal and disagree very strongly with your statement that cell phones are a necessity. All of these "modern" conveniences have made Americans very LAZY. We lived for a long time withouf fax machines, PCs, cell phones, ipods, etc. Give me a break. If you couldn't afford something, you simply did without. That is a lifestyle that is really lost on the lazy f**kheads these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In that case, it's time for CHANGE! This program needs to go away. Too many working people don't have phones because they can't afford them, we don't need to give luxury items to welfare moms.
There is nobody with a decent income that cannot have a phone of some kind. Pre paid phones start at $10 a month. For $50 you can get unlimited calls!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am a Liberal and disagree very strongly with your statement that cell phones are a necessity. All of these "modern" conveniences have made Americans very LAZY. We lived for a long time withouf fax machines, PCs, cell phones, ipods, etc. Give me a break. If you couldn't afford something, you simply did without. That is a lifestyle that is really lost on the lazy f**kheads these days.
The poor tend to be more mobile- moving around because they are not stable and a cell phone is cheaper for people like that because they do not have an "installation" charge every time

Old 05-02-2009, 02:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1955 View Post
This has been going on for some time locally. Some state employee did the math and found it was actually cheaper to sling a cell phone with limited airtime on it to the disabled and handicapped on various welfare programs then it was to pay for a landline. And the state likes to keep track of the recipients

It has been going on since at least 2002-2003 locally to my knowledge.

So what is your complaint? Mine is that the state, owning the phone, might take to tracking them with it and other big brother stuff. Of course those complaining about this might on reflection, think this a good thing.

But anyway what is your beef. The state takes older models of cell phones that can not be profitably sold commercially as they are not the latest thing, works some sweetheart deal with a cell provider, and hooks the welfare recipients on a tether that they cannot ring up any bills on and can get ahold of them anywhere anytime. And they do it far cheaper then paying to have the landline installed.

Remeber some of these welfare folks are bouncing from hotel to motel, and awaiting housing etc.
What better way to find the drug rings when you also have things like the Patriot Act. Is the Mark of the Beast a phone number or an ip address?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.

That was number three on the list of who gets one .. Do any of you folks know what the lifeline program is? its for the elderly, and the disabled .. and "at risk" others .. sheesh

Old 05-02-2009, 03:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I think you are a very logical person and I take you very seriously.
You should forget about me and start taking more of your posts seriously. As in putting more actual fact and thought behind them.

Quote:
someone who gets food stamps hasn't earned a six pack or a pack of newports. those are luxury items. so yes, if they have money for them, but still get food stamps, they are stealing from the system.
Food stamp allotments are the cost of the Thrifty Food Plan diet (developed by the National Academy of Sciences) less 30% of the recipient's income. There are no restrictions on what a recipient might choose to do with the other 70%.

Quote:
also, mayberry is based on mt. airy north carolina.
Not according to Andy Griffith, who was born in Mt. Airy, but writers did liberally borrow place names from the Mt. Airy metropolitan area.

Quote:
...illegals do contribute lots to our country. like murder, rape, gangs, destroying our educational system, lowering property values, and so forth.
Well, it's a good thing then that no natives or documented immigrants engage in any of those things. We'd be sunk as a nation if it was any more than those darned illegals. Fact and thought...remember?

Quote:
I guess it's all those contributions that were the inspiration for putting all those democrats and illegals on mount rushmore.
Jefferson (along with James Madison) was a founder of the Democratic-Republican Party, which would later evolve into the modern Democratic Party. As the federal government became involved in the Mt. Rushmore project, President Coolidge insisted that, in addition to George Washington, two Republicans and one Democrat would be included in the sculpture.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There is nobody with a decent income that cannot have a phone of some kind. Pre paid phones start at $10 a month. For $50 you can get unlimited calls!
the only reason anybody has a phone attached to their house is because they won't do the math and they still think of cell phones like something from "Dick Tracy" comics

Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
a cell phone is not a right. it has nothing to do with being cold hearted. should we start providing people with free cars? how about starbucks in the morning. where do we stop?

sorry poor parasites. it's called the city bus and a pay phone.
I don't know...a car and starbucks in the morning sounds pretty good to me. What's wrong with that as a baseline for everybody? I could at least go back to starbucks again.

Maybe, once the wealth gets redistributed, it will be again re-redistributed back to those of us who became "have nots" as a result.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
thomas jefferson the democrat. now I've heard it all. thomas jefferson was probably the most anti government president we have ever had. I said that mayberry was based on mt. airy, I didn't say it was mt. airy. we have several criminals in this country, but every single illegal alien is a criminal. what part of illegal are you not understanding? when a citizen commits social security fraud, we punish them. when a criminal alien does it, we reward them. good system right?

thank you for clearing up the food stamp issue. now google taxable income. did I spell it ok for you that time?

I also got a suggestion for you. try living a day in the real world. go look at the face of poverty, and the reasons behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You should forget about me and start taking more of your posts seriously. As in putting more actual fact and thought behind them.

Food stamp allotments are the cost of the Thrifty Food Plan diet (developed by the National Academy of Sciences) less 30% of the recipient's income. There are no restrictions on what a recipient might choose to do with the other 70%.

Not according to Andy Griffith, who was born in Mt. Airy, but writers did liberally borrow place names from the Mt. Airy metropolitan area.

Well, it's a good thing then that no natives or documented immigrants engage in any of those things. We'd be sunk as a nation if it was any more than those darned illegals. Fact and thought...remember?

Jefferson (along with James Madison) was a founder of the Democratic-Republican Party, which would later evolve into the modern Democratic Party. As the federal government became involved in the Mt. Rushmore project, President Coolidge insisted that, in addition to George Washington, two Republicans and one Democrat would be included in the sculpture.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
the only reason anybody has a phone attached to their house is because they won't do the math and they still think of cell phones like something from "Dick Tracy" comics
Incorrect, some of us have switched to VOIP systems, which cost me about $12 a YEAR to have home phone service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies