Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
a cell phone is not a right. it has nothing to do with being cold hearted. should we start providing people with free cars? how about starbucks in the morning. where do we stop?

sorry poor parasites. it's called the city bus and a pay phone.
You must be bad in math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
The "income requirement" for my cellphone was "can you afford to pay the bill each month."

I'm not completely against providing the destitute with the ability to communicate. As someone already mentioned, a phone number is fairly essential for finding a job, etc., but providing a cellphone is completely unnecessary. As someone else mentioned, a cellphone is a luxury item.

I'd rather see them provided with a voicemail number and a calling card. The cost to provide those is much, much, much lower. Hell, I run a calling card service with a toll-free number for my friends and family, and the cost is negligible...

I say dump the cellphones, and go with calling cards instead. The savings would be enormous, and the people in need of the service would still receive it - it just wouldn't be quite as convenient for them.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
here's a better suggestion. no phone and walk. how's that for math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You must be bad in math.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In that case, it's time for CHANGE! This program needs to go away. Too many working people don't have phones because they can't afford them, we don't need to give luxury items to welfare moms.
How many working people do you know who don't have a phone?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
I heard something about this. the grocery store I shop at has a lot of people on food stamps shopping there. you would be shocked at some of the luxury items they have. I enjoy glaring at them.
Oh, sure...those food stamp people have got it all. It's between them, Bill Gates, and the Section-8 housing people for who's got the cushiest lifestyle going on...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:18 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Safelink Wireless has nothing to do with Obama, it was going on prior to his taking office.

The person who gets the phone gets 60 minutes per month and a free very basic phone. From what I have heard the company who does it, tracfone, ends up making money on the deal because people find that the 60 minutes they are given a month isn't enough so they end up buying more minutes. They only get one year of free service so if they want it for more then that, they have to buy it.
So it's capitalism at work. And the wingnuts are going bonkers! When will they realize that their knee-jerk reactions can't be trusted?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
I'm sorry, did you have a point, or just further proof that you've never even seen a bad neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Oh, sure...those food stamp people have got it all. It's between them, Bill Gates, and the Section-8 housing people for who's got the cushiest lifestyle going on...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, did you have a point, or just further proof that you've never even seen a bad neighborhood?
don't you know sarcasm when you hear it?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 PM

74 posts, read 176,014 times
This has been going on for some time locally. Some state employee did the math and found it was actually cheaper to sling a cell phone with limited airtime on it to the disabled and handicapped on various welfare programs then it was to pay for a landline. And the state likes to keep track of the recipients

It has been going on since at least 2002-2003 locally to my knowledge.

So what is your complaint? Mine is that the state, owning the phone, might take to tracking them with it and other big brother stuff. Of course those complaining about this might on reflection, think this a good thing.

But anyway what is your beef. The state takes older models of cell phones that can not be profitably sold commercially as they are not the latest thing, works some sweetheart deal with a cell provider, and hooks the welfare recipients on a tether that they cannot ring up any bills on and can get ahold of them anywhere anytime. And they do it far cheaper then paying to have the landline installed.

Remeber some of these welfare folks are bouncing from hotel to motel, and awaiting housing etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM

I was unaware that font and text had sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
don't you know sarcasm when you hear it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies