Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
can't produce enough to support themselves
Most conservatives are not against helping the indignant or weak. But that's not how i'd describe alot of people on these programs. Kids with CP or Downs get rejected by the SS system and yet some scammer with 7 kids (and 7 dads to go wit) gets it, and you think nothing is wrong?

Quote:
won't
Well, they can suffer under their own consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,348,552 times
the government works for those who get the free cell phones, free subsidies on staples, food stamps, utility vouchers, free email, free laptops (commercials now showing by the government to the "poor" who need one), free or low cost phone service, in addition to a free land line and phone. free public transportation vouchers, new stimulus money for free public housing, additional stimulus money for section 8 housing, access to free vouchers for private education, preferential vouchers for job placement, and guaranteed minority contracts. it works for those who continue to engage in illicit sex and for those who have babies for america to care for, for those who are ravaged with disgusting STD's, and for those who continue a "give me, give me, give me" perpetual dependence on government, while they give back only their illigitimate children, their murder on the innocent, their destruction of descent human values and a moral compass, neighborhood blight, and the devestment of community. look at memphis, tn---and most major urban areas throughout the united states. many of these folk ask for more, but they do nothing to contribute positively to their neighborhoods, their communities, their cities, their states, and ultimately, their country.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I hope someday conservatives will join the rest of us in the 21st Century. Of course that will require accepting evolution, and coming to understand that cell phones are no longer luxury items but are pretty much a modern necessity.
why are cell phones a necessity to people who sit at home or on someone else's porch or car hood smoking dope, using drugs, scheming to commit illegal acts, having sex or causing community unrest by perpetrating criminal acts. it seems to me that having gainful employment is a much more "modern necessity" than having the ubiquitous cell phone! i have several other ideas, if you care to hear them!

Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I heard something about this. the grocery store I shop at has a lot of people on food stamps shopping there. you would be shocked at some of the luxury items they have. I enjoy glaring at them.

whenever I see people on welfare riding around in vehicles costing more than my $28k SUV, or wearing expensive clothes, I do more than glare I report them to social services.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 05-02-2009 at 04:28 AM..

Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
why are cell phones a necessity to people who sit at home or on someone else's porch or car hood smoking dope, using drugs, scheming to commit illegal acts, having sex or causing community unrest by perpetrating criminal acts. it seems to me that having gainful employment is a much more "modern necessity" than having the ubiquitous cell phone! i have several other ideas, if you care to hear them!
How else can they be expected to get ahold of their drug dealer?

The problem is, the bleeding hearts think that you have to give the welfare types free housing, free food, free health care, free cell phones, free cable television, free transportation in order for them to get a job but the welfare types are more logical. What's the point in getting a job when you're being given all that?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Keep going, righties. Prove to everyone what cold-hearted bastards you are.

A cell phone is often the only way that a poor or homeless person can get a job. How do you leave a phone number for an employer when you live in your car, or at a shelter? And how many minutes do they get? It's probably minimal, I'd bet.

Seriously, what's wrong with you people?
I think you have it backwards. Working people tend to believe that you have to get a job in order to have all the luxuries. You don't have the luxuries in order to get a job. A cell phone is a luxury and how many of the welfare types also have landlines?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:09 AM

idahogie, the bible tells us that we are to care for the poor. the bible also tells us that a man who will not work is worse than an infidel and he has denied the faith, and he should not eat. the puritan colonies believed similarily. the jamestown colony put out a pretty good article on the way they dealt with community drags...check it out. the bible also sets a charge for the christian to care for the widows, who are widows in deed...we are also to care for the children. the jews, in the old testament, were told how to feed the poor. when they gathered the harvests of their fields, they were commanded to leave no less than 10% of their harvest for the poor. god was given no less than 10%---and the best of everything sacrificed. i would imagine if 10% is acceptable to god almighty then our welfare states of today can get by w/ no more. food, shelter, clothing---basic needs: not cell picture phones, expensive pagers/blackberries/wireless remote whatever/cableboxes/you-name-it---nonessentials. that is what is wrong w/ us people!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
I am not at all surprised to learn that you haven't the slightest idea about the difference in income, and taxible income. you do realize that there are illegal ways to make money, and still get free money from the government right? I didn't think this was difficult to understand. where do you live? mayberry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'd have to say that I'm not at all surprised to hear that you missed the point. More or less predictable, from what I've observed. But why don't you go on about all this bling that your average food-stamp shopper is tricked out in. Should be very informative. Whatever you do though, don't go off and look up what the income and resource limits are to get food stamps first. That would spoil all the fun...

Old 05-02-2009, 06:29 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
when did I say anything about obama? NEVER. however, I am sure that you blame bush for people buying houses they couldn't afford.

can you provide us with a link to the updated declaration of independence. you know, the one that says, "life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and a free cell phone."

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't think some people here understand.

First of all, Obama has/had nothing to do with starting these programs.

Second, only a few states offer this program. They began over a year ago when Obama wasn't even nominated to run as the Democratic candidate. I see so many threads & posts accusing Obama of something that happened before he was even in office. It's ludricrous!

Third, a person must be 135% below the poverty level of their state to qualify and already be on a government assisted program.

Fourth, we are talking about 2 minutes a day for emergencies. If you used common sense, the reason why I used the words "bad in math" is that a city bus and a pay phone cost a heck of a lot more than a minute on a cell phone.

Fifth, people are assuming we are talking about a fancy camera phone, that is, if they are using words like "luxury." I doubt if people who qualify for this programs have land lines. 2 minutes a day (or 60 minutes a month) is just to make sure someone who falls or has a heart attack can call for help. Imagine your apartment is on fire and you can't call 911 because you can't afford a phone. I guess some people here might suggest talking a bus (if there is one available) to call the fire department.

Anyone who says "walk to a bus stop" after a person has had a heart attack must be full of hate or just plain stupid. So I don't get a mod cut here - I am not referring to any particular comment or city-data member. I am only expressing my opinion of those who feel using a phone an average of 2 minutes a day is a "luxury."

Also, cell phones are free. It's the service that you pay for. Maybe you haven't figure that out yet. I supposedly have a "free" Sony, but I pay almost $50 a month with tax for it. Technology changes so quickly that cell phones aren't worth much after 6 months anyway. I have a GPS that cost me $300 and my sister just bought the same model for $130. Now, if you told me people are getting free navigational systems or cable TV, then I might join the opposition.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,933,064 times
I have been thinking of taking my family's cell phones away. With all the overages, etc.. we can't seem to get under $300.00 a month. Maybe I should apply for this benefit. Does it include texting because my kids are hooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies