Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times

Advertisements

SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program

What they really mean is supported by the generous people who pay income taxes to the greedy bottom feeders that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The cell phones are used to call 911 if they want minutes, they will have to purchase them. But it seems kind of funny, those very same people that your blasting have been getting free phone service courtesy of the university service fund that you pay for your phone bill and have paid on your phone bill for the last 10 years.

Not correct. I put in a few zip codes and came up with over an hour of free minutes a month. Yes, you can buy more but you do get some paid for by the productive people.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I was unaware that font and text had sound.
ROFLMAO ...........
Thanks...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
here's a better suggestion. no phone and walk. how's that for math.
I don't think some people here understand.

First of all, Obama has/had nothing to do with starting these programs.

Second, only a few states offer this program. They began over a year ago when Obama wasn't even nominated to run as the Democratic candidate. I see so many threads & posts accusing Obama of something that happened before he was even in office. It's ludricrous!

Third, a person must be 135% below the poverty level of their state to qualify and already be on a government assisted program.

Fourth, we are talking about 2 minutes a day for emergencies. If you used common sense, the reason why I used the words "bad in math" is that a city bus and a pay phone cost a heck of a lot more than a minute on a cell phone.

Fifth, people are assuming we are talking about a fancy camera phone, that is, if they are using words like "luxury." I doubt if people who qualify for this programs have land lines. 2 minutes a day (or 60 minutes a month) is just to make sure someone who falls or has a heart attack can call for help. Imagine your apartment is on fire and you can't call 911 because you can't afford a phone. I guess some people here might suggest talking a bus (if there is one available) to call the fire department.

Anyone who says "walk to a bus stop" after a person has had a heart attack must be full of hate or just plain stupid. So I don't get a mod cut here - I am not referring to any particular comment or city-data member. I am only expressing my opinion of those who feel using a phone an average of 2 minutes a day is a "luxury."

Also, cell phones are free. It's the service that you pay for. Maybe you haven't figure that out yet. I supposedly have a "free" Sony, but I pay almost $50 a month with tax for it. Technology changes so quickly that cell phones aren't worth much after 6 months anyway. I have a GPS that cost me $300 and my sister just bought the same model for $130. Now, if you told me people are getting free navigational systems or cable TV, then I might join the opposition.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: fix post

Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't think some people here understand.

First of all, Obama has/had nothing to do with starting these programs.

Second, only a few states offer this program. They began over a year ago when Obama wasn't even nominated to run as the Democratic candidate. I see so many threads & posts accusing Obama of something that happened before he was even in office. It's ludricrous!

Third, a person must be 135% below the poverty level of their state to qualify and already be on a government assisted program.

Fourth, we are talking about 2 minutes a day for emergencies. If you used common sense, the reason why I used the words "bad in math" is that a city bus and a pay phone cost a heck of a lot more than a minute on a cell phone.

Fifth, people are assuming we are talking about a fancy camera phone, that is, if they are using words like "luxury." I doubt if people who qualify for this programs have land lines. 2 minutes a day (or 60 minutes a month) is just to make sure someone who falls or has a heart attack can call for help. Imagine your apartment is on fire and you can't call 911 because you can't afford a phone. I guess some people here might suggest talking a bus (if there is one available) to call the fire department.

Anyone who says "walk to a bus stop" after a person has had a heart attack must be full of hate or just plain stupid. So I don't get a mod cut here - I am not referring to any particular comment or city-data member. I am only expressing my opinion of those who feel using a phone an average of 2 minutes a day is a "luxury."

Also, cell phones are free. It's the service that you pay for. Maybe you haven't figure that out yet. I supposedly have a "free" Sony, but I pay almost $50 a month with tax for it. Technology changes so quickly that cell phones aren't worth much after 6 months anyway. I have a GPS that cost me $300 and my sister just bought the same model for $130. Now, if you told me people are getting free navigational systems or cable TV, then I might join the opposition.
Speaking of bad in math, how is someone 135% below the poverty level for their state???

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Speaking of bad in math, how is someone 135% below the poverty level for their state???
beat me to it

Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
LOL! I enjoy laughing at some of you that must find SOMETHING to ***** about just to blame President Obama.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:11 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In that case, it's time for CHANGE! This program needs to go away. Too many working people don't have phones because they can't afford them, we don't need to give luxury items to welfare moms.
Where do you live. Everyone I know has a cell phone.

What's a cheap plan, about $20 a month? It looks like "too many working people" are in way over their heads. That's not the fault of people who are struggling.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The "income requirement" for my cellphone was "can you afford to pay the bill each month."

I'm not completely against providing the destitute with the ability to communicate. As someone already mentioned, a phone number is fairly essential for finding a job, etc., but providing a cellphone is completely unnecessary. As someone else mentioned, a cellphone is a luxury item.

I'd rather see them provided with a voicemail number and a calling card. The cost to provide those is much, much, much lower. Hell, I run a calling card service with a toll-free number for my friends and family, and the cost is negligible...

I say dump the cellphones, and go with calling cards instead. The savings would be enormous, and the people in need of the service would still receive it - it just wouldn't be quite as convenient for them.
"Enormous" savings can't be found in a program such as this. How much do you think it could possibly cost? Cell phones and service cost little to produce. How many people qualify, and of those, how many subscibe to the service? I'm sure we're talking pennies per week in tax cost.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Not correct. I put in a few zip codes and came up with over an hour of free minutes a month. Yes, you can buy more but you do get some paid for by the productive people.
Everybody isn't productive. Get over it.

Stomping your feet and screaming, sounding tough, mean and authoritative is not going to change society. Never has, never will.

There have always been and always will be people who either can't or won't produce enough to support themselves. What is your solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies