Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Funny. That 'give a man a fish' saying is not in the bible, it's actually thought to be a Chinese proverb.
True, it's not literally in the Bible, but the spirit of that sentiment is in the Bible (old and new testament alike). It's important to note Jesus was a Jew raised in long held east/ west traditions of apprenticeship. He started out as a carpenter assisting his father Joseph, was a student of religion (Luke 2:41-52) until he eventually became, and as Christians believe, a separate ministry. This is a good academic perspective of why interpretations went as they have, mentioning how literalism can be taken too far... NT Pod: NT Pod 18: Was Jesus a Carpenter?
google "apprentice bible" you get over 6 million hits for a reason. Jews & Christians are not to be strangers to a good deal many virtues.

When a wise sentiment goes through a warped brain this is sometimes what comes out...
Quote:
Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Actually government welfare has destroyed community. The poor are relegated to the tender mercies of government bureaucrats and we rarely rub elbows with them. Out of sight, out of mind. If the poor again became the responsibility of individuals and communites they would be better off and we as people would be better off.
Your prior reference to the Lumbee tribe- I see no unlawful confiscation of their land to justify compensation, but their motive appears to be access to BIA health care and scholarship funds.

As for the cited post it hasn't destroyed community, it's removed any legitimate excuse to steal bread. This social safety net serves many purposes. My decision as juror is easier to make as a result. If folks can't be bothered getting to know their own neighbors without a pork chop around each neck, that's all on them. The thing I've seen killing community more reliably is attributed to the nomadic existence we live following a career no longer attached to a single company.

I welcome anyone to point out the law prohibiting any charity/ church/ individual in the community from stepping up to offer additional help (mentoring, jobs training, advocating for adoption volunteers, establishing low cost daycare etc). Catholic Charities left their business cards with Planned Parenthood for anyone wanting assistance for alternative choices. They WERE getting a great deal of referrals. The Papacy forbade them to work with Planned Parenthood to fulfill it's own mission encouraging families and facilitating adoption. Anti-abortionists care to explain why they regularly work contrary to their stated mission? They'll throw up roadblocks for womens clinics that assist low income, but they wouldn't be caught dead building one of their own.

Offering assistance is already their choice to provide or refuse to offer that hand up. Whether for lack of funding, lack of understanding the nature of poverty, lack of organizational ability, it reliably comes up short. If it's lack of concern for their fellow man, which isn't at all scarce in this thread, that's all on those individuals.

With considerable unanimity, those who support this bill have gone very far out of their way to dehumanize anyone who finds themselves in poverty. According to them ALL poor spend $300 on haircuts, drive around in luxury sedans, and remain on welfare for 5 generations (even though it's legally prohibited). Thou shalt not bear false witness was thrown right out the door. Nothing religious about them, but they'll feign religious affinity if it gets them ahead or lends credence to abusing others 'in the name of God'. All I hear are sour grapes of Matthew 20:1-16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you lost your income how many months would it be before you were poor? The average American is less than 4 months from poverty.
If you read carefully, you'd notice I said "truly poor". Big difference from "poor by choice".

And I can answer that question. Both my husband and I lost our income for over 6 months. I was never poor.

OK, your turn to find some excuse why that's "different" somehow.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You do know that there are poor people out there that can barely pay their rent and utilities, don't you? People that live paycheck to paycheck with nothing to spare.

You can't assume others can afford the cost of a doctor's visit, just because YOU can.

Asking some people to come up with approx. $400 to visit a gyno and pay for required testing is equivalent to asking others to come up with $15,000......they just don't HAVE it.
If they truly are in this situation, then STOP HAVING SEX. Because even the most idiotic knows it will lead to children YOU CAN'T AFFORD.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You do know that there are poor people out there that can barely pay their rent and utilities, don't you? People that live paycheck to paycheck with nothing to spare.

You can't assume others can afford the cost of a doctor's visit, just because YOU can.

Asking some people to come up with approx. $400 to visit a gyno and pay for required testing is equivalent to asking others to come up with $15,000......they just don't HAVE it.
oh please

those paycheck to paycheck people STILL go to mcdonalds, and starbucks

$400 divided by 52 is 7.62 dollars....less than the cost of a big-mac meal

you KNOW you NEED the appointment once a year..SAVE for it....

come on people,, personal responsibility

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You go to the nail salon to check the prices? You know many people on welfare going to the salons and seeing how much get their eyebrows waxed? You check their welfare status? You actually conduct interviews on large numbers of people? Interesting...
I am not sure of the prices..but I know a nailjob WAS 20..and I see it all the time, pleople getting cash from their EBT or check (usually buying one thing and getting the rest in cash back) and then going right into the nailsalon in walmart.

you mean you have NEVER seen it

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM

659 posts, read 1,760,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I am not sure of the prices..but I know a nailjob WAS 20..and I see it all the time, pleople getting cash from their EBT or check (usually buying one thing and getting the rest in cash back) and then going right into the nailsalon in walmart.

you mean you have NEVER seen it
Soooo.... I guess this means we have to cancel "Pimp my Wheelchair" and "Section 8 Cribz???"

Bummer.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Throwing kids to the wolves negates any need for civilization. Looks to me that's the real GOP plan.

So go down to the IRS and give them all "YOUR" money and tell them to put it towards welfare.....
I'll keep my money and donate it to the charity I choose.

Funny people like you are sooooo generious with "other" peoples money!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I would get another job tomorrow.
Ahhhh...i love the cockiness of CD posters. Especially the conservative ones. They're all rich and good looking. And if by some chance they get unemployed, it would NEVER be for more than a day.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You're lucky that you're so skilled.
He's not that skilled....believe me. Arrogant? That's more likely. All conservative CD posters are superbly "skilled," in case you didn't notice.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,668 times
Hey Harborlady....no response to my reply a few notches up?.....I didnt think so.

You know the saying...."Put up or shut up"! That goes for all big Govt/Big spend liberal/Dems.....Use your own MONEY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies