Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Along with rights come responsibilities.

I have not seen one post from anyone saying the preacher did not have a right to burn a Koran. Or even the right to publicize it. This whole debate is about the blatant irresponsibility of willfully and knowingly taking an action that would unquestionably lead to death and injury of innocent people but short-sighted people want to make the whole thing about Constitutional rights and nothing else.
And what is our responsibility to a bunch of ignorant murderous savages in another country who are looking for any excuse to kill one another based on a religion with roots in the 7th century? How do the religious beliefs of a zealot living in Afghanistan dictate my actions living in the US? Shall I give up pork BBQ as well? And aged scotch? And dress my daughter in a Burqua?

And why would one suppose that them responding to actions a world away, in which they did not participate, would "unquestionably" result in them killing one another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Along with rights come responsibilities.

I have not seen one post from anyone saying the preacher did not have a right to burn a Koran. Or even the right to publicize it. This whole debate is about the blatant irresponsibility of willfully and knowingly taking an action that would unquestionably lead to death and injury of innocent people but short-sighted people want to make the whole thing about Constitutional rights and nothing else.
Nobody is responsible for what others do except they themselves.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wow, looks like a hit a nerve with some of you defending the Moron. Defend him all you want, freedom of speech is not what you seem to think it is, hopefully no one you care about will end up getting hurt by his stupidity.
As for MLK he never advocated violence in any way, the violence came from those attempting to stop his marches.
Anyway I had my say, go on with your defending of the Moron.
Casper
Well Casper it appears to me that by your posts you have been attempting to incite riots and murder all over the world. I think you should be arrested and imprisoned for your stupid actions.

Mods...Obviously speaking metaphorically.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,196 times
Looks like the free people of the world have had enough of those Islamic bullies that think they can burn flags, behead people, kill anyone who draws or speaks ill of Mohammed, or dare have a different view/religion than them. They need to see that we will not be intimidated. These are the same people that destroyed ancient Buddhist monuments that were centuries old . . . ohhhh, but when it's done to THEIR religion! All religions need to suck it up.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Wow, looks like a hit a nerve with some of you defending the Moron. Defend him all you want, freedom of speech is not what you seem to think it is, hopefully no one you care about will end up getting hurt by his stupidity.
As for MLK he never advocated violence in any way, the violence came from those attempting to stop his marches.
Anyway I had my say, go on with your defending of the Moron.
Casper
I'm just trying to understand why anyone would defend the religion of hate.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Obviously not. I have an opinion but I may not force my opinion on him and his rights. Clear now?

I agree but, I cannot force my opinion on him or make him behave in a manner suiting me anymore than you can.

By the way, it was the media who publicized it, are they as morally irresponsible as Jones is? Should they be charged, imprisoned, forced to do your or my will?
No, I cannot force my opinion on others, nor can I make them behave in morally responsible ways. I can condemn them for their irresponsible actions that have led to death and injury to others but I cannot prevent them from behaving in morally irresponsible ways.

Yes, the media was morally irresponsible in publicizing the event. But we have a morally irresponsible media as well as morally irresponsible people in this country (as well as around the world).

This case has many similarities to the mom that cyberbullied a teen age girl a couple of years ago to the point where the girl committed suicide. Even then the mom probably never dreamed her irresponsible bullying would drive the girl to suicide. Nevertheless, as a mom she really should have been more aware of the possible outcome.

Actions have far reaching--and predictable--consequences.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Well Casper it appears to me that by your posts you have been attempting to incite riots and murder all over the world. I think you should be arrested and imprisoned for your stupid actions.

Mods...Obviously speaking metaphorically.
WOW! I would have expected better from You True, but thanks for the opinion adjustment, now I know the truth.
Casper

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
No, I cannot force my opinion on others, nor can I make them behave in morally responsible ways. I can condemn them for their irresponsible actions that have led to death and injury to others but I cannot prevent them from behaving in morally irresponsible ways.

Yes, the media was morally irresponsible in publicizing the event. But we have a morally irresponsible media as well as morally irresponsible people in this country (as well as around the world).

This case has many similarities to the mom that cyberbullied a teen age girl a couple of years ago to the point where the girl committed suicide. Even then the mom probably never dreamed her irresponsible bullying would drive the girl to suicide. Nevertheless, as a mom she really should have been more aware of the possible outcome.

Stop already, enough is enough. Nobody is responsible except the animals who did the killing. To say otherwise is pure idiocy.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,789 times
Quote:

I don't disagree but, even the ignorant, self serving, idiots have rights in this country.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nobody is responsible for what others do except they themselves.

So, are you saying that people who respond in panic to a phony shout of "Fire" in a crowded theater are, themselves, totally to blame for being trampled to death while trying to escape?

Quote:
I don't disagree but, even the ignorant, self serving, idiots have rights in this country.
I haven't seen a single post that disagrees with this. In an ideal world, we would all, at all times act with discretion and avoid actions that might place innocent people in danger.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 04-05-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies