Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
No, I cannot force my opinion on others, nor can I make them behave in morally responsible ways. I can condemn them for their irresponsible actions that have led to death and injury to others but I cannot prevent them from behaving in morally irresponsible ways.

Yes, the media was morally irresponsible in publicizing the event. But we have a morally irresponsible media as well as morally irresponsible people in this country (as well as around the world).
Words like "morally responsible" are very flexible in their meaning. What applies "here" may not apply "there", and vice versa. When we subject ourselves to "their" interpretation so as to not upset them, we have lost our "moral" intergrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I just don't think it is done often or by many.
I think it must be a significant number, or we would have suffered multiple terrorist attacks by now.

You just don't stop these kinds of things without someone ratting someone else out...

Anyway, we can never have enough of them, that's for sure. So alienating them is really not in our best interests.

Jones et al. are selfishly working against our national interests for their own personal aggrandizement. It may not be illegal, but it damn sure is wrong.

Quote:
I know that when people attack Jones or the Westboro Clan for their outrageous behavior and because they are linked to Christianity that they are not attacking me personally because I am a Christian. I think that the smart Muslims know that the same applies to them.
All the more reason we need to educate the dumb ones before they get radicalized.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
So, are you saying that people who respond in panic to a phony shout of "Fire" in a crowded theater are, themselves, totally to blame but for being trampled to death while trying to escape?
Your logic is flawed. Someone trying to flee shouts of "Fire" in a theater is trying to save their own life in the present moment and location. Someone harmed while trying to flee when they hear that someone thousands of miles away shouted "Fire" a month ago is quite another case.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Stop already, enough is enough. Nobody is responsible except the animals who did the killing. To say otherwise is pure idiocy.
Many coherent, logical arguments as to this pastor's responsibility have been made here.

I think you will have to do better than to just wave your hands and call our legitimate concerns "idiocy."

Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Many coherent, logical arguments as to this pastor's responsibility have been made here.

I think you will have to do better than to just wave your hands and call our legitimate concerns "idiocy."
There were no coherent anythings here. It is all Liberal BS.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There were no coherent anythings here. It is all Liberal BS.
This is not a counterargument.

It is, in fact, basically an admission of defeat, if this is all you can muster.

Statements like this do nothing to educate anyone or further the debate.

They only make YOU look bad. I have noticed that both liberals and conservatives here have condemned this action by the pastor, so there goes your pointless partisan hackery.

I am sure you can do better than this.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
That idiot can say and do whatever he wants here.

The more he does to inflame them, the more it shows the Psychotic Islamo-Fascists for what they are.

The more that idiot does tp make them crazy the closer he is to having his head chopped off by some nincompoop Islamo-Radical here in the U.S.A.

I say we should all be on guard wherever Americans and others are on the planet and watch out for them ninjas.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,320 times
Quote:

I have not heard any logical arguments yet.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,028 times
Quote:
I think it must be a significant number, or we would have suffered multiple terrorist attacks by now.

You just don't stop these kinds of things without someone ratting someone else out...

Anyway, we can never have enough of them, that's for sure. So alienating them is really not in our best interests.
C'mon, you think the only way to stop terrorism is by a CI? I am sure we have ears (electronic), eyes (spys), and communication (patriot act) on extremists all over the country.

Quote:
Jones et al. are selfishly working against our national interests for their own personal aggrandizement. It may not be illegal, but it damn sure is wrong.
I would tend to agree but that would be my opinion.

Quote:
All the more reason we need to educate the dumb ones before they get radicalized.
And how do you intend to do that, by telling them that it is OK to kill? That their Holy book is the only one that matters? That we infidels are not worthy?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Words like "morally responsible" are very flexible in their meaning. What applies "here" may not apply "there", and vice versa. When we subject ourselves to "their" interpretation so as to not upset them, we have lost our "moral" intergrity.
Of course not. What is "moral" in this country is "immoral" somewhere else and what is "immoral" here is perfectly acceptable in other places.

However, are you saying that what Pastor Terry did in burning a Koran and making sure it reached the media's attention was "acting with moral responsibility" when he was warned by the Pentagon and he knew in advance it would likely result in death and mayhem on the other side of the world? No one is questioning his right to do do, only his lack of good judgment in ignoring the Pentagon's warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies