Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,193,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Let's not forget that this poltroon had a range of choices on how to express his displeasure with Islam, and of all those choices, he chose the one that he knew would get innocent people killed.
Please remember your words the next time you wish to say something less than flattering about Christians, God and the Bible.

I have seen and read a lot of people say the most inflammatory things they can think of or do about Christians, including burning the Bible, but there is no outcry when that happens and to me the only difference is that Christians are peaceful and some Muslims will kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
How about if you gave someone a button, and told them that if they press it, it would send out a radio signal across the world that would result in some innocent person's head to come off.

What kind of person would push the button, no matter what the means of decapitation happened to be?
Pushing a button does not express ones feelings about anything. Not a good analogy.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Pushing a button does not express ones feelings about anything. Not a good analogy.
Do you support a man's right to burn a cross as an expression of free speech?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you support a man's right to burn a cross as an expression of free speech?
This thread isn't about me but, feel free to answer your own question.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Please remember your words the next time you wish to say something less than flattering about Christians, God and the Bible.
I'm a Methodist, not that you bothered to ask. Again, even if I did say something of that sort, it is in a context where it is very unlikely that someone would kill an innocent third party.

Contrast this with the pastor, who knew that there was a very good chance, at least, that innocent people would be harmed if he did what he did.

He had a choice. His choice reflects his ethics.

Quote:
I have seen and read a lot of people say the most inflammatory things they can think of or do about Christians, including burning the Bible, but there is no outcry when that happens and to me the only difference is that Christians are peaceful and some Muslims will kill you.
All the more reason that this jerk should have known what the results would be.

It's unreasonable to believe for a second that he didn't know what would happen.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
OK then, how about "push this button if you don't like Islam."

Would that make it acceptable to you?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
This thread isn't about me but, feel free to answer your own question.
Me? No, I do not think buring of crosses is free speech, and the Supreme Court agrees with me.

I am asking you since you are the most vocal supporter of the idea that intimidation is a form of free speech.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Let's improve it further and say:

Push this button if you don't like Islam, there's only a 10% chance that some innocent person will be killed. You will suffer no legal sanction for your actions.

What kind of person would choose to push the button?

Certainly not a "Christian."

Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I'm a Methodist, not that you bothered to ask. Again, even if I did say something of that sort, it is in a context where it is very unlikely that someone would kill an innocent third party.

Contrast this with the pastor, who knew that there was a very good chance, at least, that innocent people would be harmed if he did what he did.

He had a choice. His choice reflects his ethics.

All the more reason that this jerk should have known what the results would be.

It's unreasonable to believe for a second that he didn't know what would happen.
It seems that he may have been trying to point out a difference between Christians and Muslims.

Like I said in an earlier post, he got his message out weather anyone likes it or not. That message being that extreme Muslims will kill.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
OK then, how about "push this button if you don't like Islam."

Would that make it acceptable to you?
No, because that is not my stance and I am not sure what Jones' is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies