Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Interracial marriages should be...
Legal 222 86.38%
Illegal 30 11.67%
Not sure 5 1.95%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
My question is, why can't you have both? That is basically the conclusion of my dream.

The question then is, what causes the ills of society? What prevents the ills of society? Does our society currently reward bad behavior? How do you propose society can begin rewarding good behavior?

If you can answer these questions, I'll vote for you for president.
Sorry, no, I can't answer those questions. But I wouldn't want that job anyway!

Your dream is not attainable because we are a pretty rotten species in a lot of ways. That is not to say we shouldn't strive to reach for those ideals, though. As someone once pointed out--I can't remember the exact quote--it's amazing that we are a species that can produce enormous compassion, beautiful art and music, and still find countless ways to kill our own.

Sometimes you need to just take a break from the world falling down around you and look for the good. It's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Oh my gosh dude, I'm not talking about racism, of course that's not good [MOD CUT]

People did have better morals then. People kept their words more. My grandparents know, they were young adults in the early 1950s. They used to tell me all the time how bad our country has become and how misbehaved our youth has become. It sounds like people then were far more strict about how you behaved and acted out in public then. Parents and teachers didn't tolerate any nonsense from their children. Whenever you went out, my Grandparents told me you were expected to dress and look nice.

And get this, my Grandparents lived in Florida in the 1950s and they weren't racists! My Grandpa even got a warning from a KKK member one time for allowing a black man in his church. This was in 1950s Ocala, and the area was heavily racist by the way. Because of this, they had to move away from there.

So when I mean things were better then, I mean in terms of morality, how you were expected to act and present yourself and keeping your word. Also, in terms of discipline too.
Well, I lived in Florida in the 50s. ^^The bold statements above were true.^^

My Aunt told me a story from the 20s. A neighbor used to beat his wife, the KKK found out about it, visited him one night, roughed him up a bit, and he never struck her again. This was in the Tampa area.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:54 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
There are 28 people here who think it should be illegal and another 5 who aren't sure.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,065 times
the poll results on this forum are about the same results in the gallup poll.

something over 80 percent when last polled said they were fine with IR

Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,324,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
There are 28 people here who think it should be illegal and another 5 who aren't sure.
It should be 0 who think it should be illegal and 0 who are unsure.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Well, I lived in Florida in the 50s. ^^The bold statements above were true.^^

My Aunt told me a story from the 20s. A neighbor used to beat his wife, the KKK found out about it, visited him one night, roughed him up a bit, and he never struck her again. This was in the Tampa area.
I heard that the head of KKK lives in the outer suburb of Tampa in Wesley Chapel, not sure if this is true or not... I do remember seeing some Confederate flags when I rode through the old part of Wesley Chapel about 6 years ago though.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
It should be 0 who think it should be illegal and 0 who are unsure.
Why? Because you say so? Is there anything that everyone will agree on 100 percent? Hell, you can't even get all Americans to believe in freedom of speech even though it's one of our fundamental rights. I'm not surprised that there's some that are opposed to inter-racial marriage.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Why? Because you say so? Is there anything that everyone will agree on 100 percent? Hell, you can't even get all Americans to believe in freedom of speech even though it's one of our fundamental rights. I'm not surprised that there's some that are opposed to inter-racial marriage.
Because what exactly is a legitimate reason to think that marriages between people of two different colors ought to be a criminal act?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Why didn't they poll Mississippi Democrats while they were at it? The results don't mean anything without being compared to Democrats and perhaps, Independents. It's just noise signifying nothing. How stupid do they think we are?
That too could be another thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That too could be another thread
I suspect they polled the Democrats as well but decided to keep those findings to themselves. The point is "this is what Republicans said and this is who they are voting for" (implied smear). IF they had different (better) results for the Democrats they would just come out and say so and look like the more righteous party. But they can't, because they don't. They really are shameless in appealing to the lowest common denominator with this elementary propaganda. I respected them more when they made, at least an intellectual attempt to, disguise their manipulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies