Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Interracial marriages should be...
Legal 222 86.38%
Illegal 30 11.67%
Not sure 5 1.95%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizi Girl View Post
I do not approve of interacial marriages. Nor will I marry someone from outside my race. My decisions are based upon how I was raised and my own personal opinions. I don't care if that is racist, many people marry within their own race - does that make them "racist"?

I feel that if I marry a man outside of my race, the clashing cultures would be too different. People marry other people who share a similar culture with or have many things in common with, one of those determining factors being race. Also my family would be quite disappointed. Same thing applies if I marry a bleeding heart liberal or non-christian. Our lifestyles and beliefs would be just too different and the marriage will never work.
You are entitled to feel that way and that is your choice, but should it be forced on everyone else? This isn't about your personal choices and preferences, it is about making it illegal and forcing your views on everyone else.

Let's just say that we did make interracial marriages illegal, again. What happens when someone has a drop of non-white blood or a drop of white blood in them and marry a pure-pred (if such a thing exists) person of another race? Do they go to prison? This whole thing is stupid and by limiting freedoms this way, other freedoms would have to be limited as well.

For the people that are saying that it should be state right, that is idiotic. The state doesn't have the right to discriminate against people, based on race, religion, ethnicity or gender. If the state refuses to grant people marriage lisences just because, they can do that to whites as well. Opening a can of worms in which people are not treated eqaully would not benifit this country in anyway. If you don't want to marry outside your race, you have the freedom to chose not to...the question is, should everyone else's freedom also be limited that way?

Remember, there are a lot more races than black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM

606 posts, read 1,079,151 times
When I first saw these statistics a couple of weeks ago, I was admittedly surprised. I couldn't believe that it was 2011 and people still thought that way. I know that all of the Republicans were not polled, and only 400 were, but it still goes to show that people still think that way, in various age groups. It's not even concentrated among the older people.
I don't believe that interracial marriage should be illegal. Why should it? If you love a person, it doesn't matter what color, ethnicity, or race they are. You love them and that's all that matters. Who's to say that it should be against the law? I'm curious as to what those people think should happen to a person who marries someone outside their race.
Sure people marry in their own race, but that doesn't mean that people don't marry outside their race. Interracial marriage is "flourishing" in the U.S. according to this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18090277...e-flourishing/
Coincidentally, the couple mentioned that is having a hard time live in Mississippi.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
While 40% say they should be legal.

Wow, can't believe some still people think this way...

The PPP poll shows that Mississippians aged 18-29 are more likely to think interracial marriages should be illegal than those aged 30-45 and those 45-65. The younger generation were pretty similar to those 65 and older in their views on the legality of interracial marriages.

Aged 18-29: 30% say interracial marriages should be legal, while 54% say illegal
Aged 30-45: 48% say legal, while 38% say illegal
Aged 55-65: 49% legal, 39% illegal
Aged 65+: 30% legal, 56% illegal

Republicans in Mississippi think interracial marriage should be made illegal, according to poll | Mail Online
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...MS_0407915.pdf
From the link: "PPP, a Democrat-affiliated polling firm based in Raleigh, North Carolina" and it was founded in 2001, right after the GW Bush election.

Did they bother to poll the democrats, who created the KKK, in the state, to see how they polled?

Did they poll 20,000 republicans, and only choose these 500 to get their results?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
From the link: "PPP, a Democrat-affiliated polling firm based in Raleigh, North Carolina" and it was founded in 2001, right after the GW Bush election.

Did they bother to poll the democrats, who created the KKK, in the state, to see how they polled?

Did they poll 20,000 republicans, and only choose these 500 to get their results?

You make some good points.

To make a poll of 400 people and extrapolate that to encompass the entire Republican party, or even one state is silly. It's how people vote, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, where the press and all of the blood-sucking PC police don't prowl, that counts.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
You make some good points.

To make a poll of 400 people and extrapolate that to encompass the entire Republican party, or even one state is silly. It's how people vote, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, where the press and all of the blood-sucking PC police don't prowl, that counts.
You do realize that is the way polling works, and has always worked correct??

Anyway, as I said earlier in this thread, look at how Alabama voted on this issue back in 2000, Republican areas were against removing the ban on interracial marriage, Democratic areas were in favor of removing the ban.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:47 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
When I first saw these statistics a couple of weeks ago, I was admittedly surprised. I couldn't believe that it was 2011 and people still thought that way. I know that all of the Republicans were not polled, and only 400 were, but it still goes to show that people still think that way, in various age groups. It's not even concentrated among the older people.
I don't believe that interracial marriage should be illegal. Why should it? If you love a person, it doesn't matter what color, ethnicity, or race they are. You love them and that's all that matters. Who's to say that it should be against the law? I'm curious as to what those people think should happen to a person who marries someone outside their race.
Sure people marry in their own race, but that doesn't mean that people don't marry outside their race. Interracial marriage is "flourishing" in the U.S. according to this article: Interracial marriage flourishes in U.S. - US news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com
Coincidentally, the couple mentioned that is having a hard time live in Mississippi.
What I'm learning is that some attitudes are slow to change.

I was hanging out with a friend of mine a few days ago, who happens to be a White female. She has dated inter-racially and sees no problems with it. We were on the subject of what I experienced in my high school as far as race issues(I'm an African-American male). I mentioned someone from high school that said that interracial marriages were wrong and that the Bible said so. My friend being a Christian and having studied the Bible, told me that the person who said that to me was taking the Bible and twisting it. My friend told me that inter-racial marriages are NOT wrong and that we are all created in God's image. In fact, I inquired my mother about this and she said it wasn't wrong. I inquired a youth pastor and he said there was nothing wrong with interracial marriages and mentioned Moses marrying an Ethiopian.

Personally, I think the attitudes against interracial marriages is partially a product of the American slave system. The idea of Blacks being considered inferior and lower in along the ladder of "the racial hierarchy". I think some of those attitudes were passed down from generation to generation and although it is diminishing from generation to generation, it still gets passed down.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 PM

25 posts, read 54,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What I'm learning is that some attitudes are slow to change.

I was hanging out with a friend of mine a few days ago, who happens to be a White female. She has dated inter-racially and sees no problems with it. We were on the subject of what I experienced in my high school as far as race issues(I'm an African-American male). I mentioned someone from high school that said that interracial marriages were wrong and that the Bible said so. My friend being a Christian and having studied the Bible, told me that the person who said that to me was taking the Bible and twisting it. My friend told me that inter-racial marriages are NOT wrong and that we are all created in God's image. In fact, I inquired my mother about this and she said it wasn't wrong. I inquired a youth pastor and he said there was nothing wrong with interracial marriages and mentioned Moses marrying an Ethiopian.

Personally, I think the attitudes against interracial marriages is partially a product of the American slave system. The idea of Blacks being considered inferior and lower in along the ladder of "the racial hierarchy". I think some of those attitudes were passed down from generation to generation and although it is diminishing from generation to generation, it still gets passed down.
great points but thankfully I. M. Is Legal everywhere Now..lets get past this

Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
You people are ridiculous. There are still COUNTRIES that believe interracial marriages should be illegal and foreigners killed if they have ANY relations with their people. Italy anyone?! This thread is a joke.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 AM

25 posts, read 54,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You people are ridiculous. There are still COUNTRIES that believe interracial marriages should be illegal and foreigners killed if they have ANY relations with their people. Italy anyone?! This thread is a joke.
IM glad were not one of those countries

Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Obviously you have never been to Italy, if so, you would have seen many Italian men with Black women as wives or girlfriends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies