Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,501,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You've never heard of "adoption"?
Why should a woman go through with an unwanted pregnancy to give a baby to someone else? Because you think so?

An abortion is far safer, and there are literally, at the very least, over 100,000 children in the US right now wishing someone would adopt them. Where is all the compassion for them from the anti-choice crowd?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM

18,432 posts, read 19,086,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
A baby left on the side of the road cannot not survive outside the womb on it's own anymore than a fetus can inside the womb. The fact is, the baby outside the womb requires more direct, conscious attention to survive than does the fetus that is pretty much taken care of automatically by the mother's body ... with the only requirement that she not subject the baby to ingested toxins, or intentionally have it killed.

This is a baby at 16 weeks. It possesses a fully formed heart (a quality that seems to be lacking in many fully developed breathing adults on this forum) and blood vessels. The eyes blink, and the fingers and toes have prints. No, you can't dress it up in cute little clothes yet, but it is a living baby nonetheless.

Just 4 weeks later, at 20 weeks, the baby sucks it's thumb, yawns, makes facial expressions, and begins to move around.

And here is a baby, at 22 weeks .... OUTSIDE THE WOMB.

Would it be OK to flush this infant down the commode? Or cup your finger across her mouth and nose, suffocating her?

How dare you call me delusional!

Your argument is a total fraud! In the 10 minutes that you took to present this balderdash, 100 live births took place in the United States. And statistically, another 9000 will also take place without a single death of the mother. The facts are, even the 11 in 100,000 official maternal mortality rate is a phony ... the real number is around 4.7 in 100,000.

So, whichever figure you use, worst case scenario ... 1 in 9000, best case scenario 1 in 21,200, and the majority of those cases are perfectly preventable with proper prenatal care, and medically supported delivery. Unlike centeries ago when child birth was definitely dangerous, in the modern developed world, and especially here in the US, giving birth is rather routine, and not considered a serious risk.

Contrast that to the chances of an adult who drives an automobile (average of 50 years) being killed in a car accident which 1 in 100
no one is disputing a baby needs someone to take care of it after its born. but unlike one in the womb, a baby already born can depend on anyone willing to do the job. a baby in the womb relies on one person. until you invent or rent a womb the final say of if a woman uses her womb or not is up to her.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,669,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I never said I don't believe it isn't a human life. the difference is that it is a "potential" human life that can not sustain life without the use of a womb. many woman find abortion a hard choice because of how "they" feel about aborting.

what does women are not stupid we know what abortion is mean? I doubt you are that dumb, but let me break it down for you...
women=girls, females
stupid= unable to understand
abortion=the removal of an embryo or fetus to terminate pregnancy
But you don't view it as a human life from conception as I do. Do you believe the baby or whatever you choose to call the baby, is a human at the time of conception. You can't say it is a "potential" human life. You either think it is or not. So what is your view?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,287,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
As I've seen repeatedly, the so-called "pro-life" argument is really about controlling other folks' sex lives. Butt out.
Well this wasn't a pro-abortion/pro-life issue to begin with.

It was a "my body, I do what I want with my body.... as an EXCUSE for having an abortion" thread.

You know, before you and your "support abortion at any cost, no reason to claim or take care of your body BEFORE you get your ass knocked up" buddies stepped in.

You want to get back on topic?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Why should a woman go through with an unwanted pregnancy to give a baby to someone else? Because you think so?

An abortion is far safer, and there are literally, at the very least, over 100,000 children in the US right now wishing someone would adopt them. Where is all the compassion for them from the anti-choice crowd?
Make your choice to protect yourself before you get knocked up.

Now THAT is a hell of a lot safer than anything else.

Stay on topic.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,707,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Still looking for a gotcha?

What you fail to realize is that late-term abortion is performed very infrequently. It is not performed for fun, or because someone wakes up 39 weeks pregnant, and decides they have changed their mind. The procedure poses great risk to the mother. It is a terrible decision for a mother to have to make. If you have actually read this thread you will have read formercalifornian's story. Her story is heartbreaking, and I applaud her bravery posting it here.

You are looking for someone in the pro-choice camp to say they support abortion on demand up until 40 weeks gestation because it's her body? Is that what you are looking for?

Perhaps you haven't yet figured out that those in the pro-choice camp are well-educated on the subject of women's health, pregnancy, and abortion. We have seen the gnarly pictures, we have been told ad infinitum "keep 'em closed", we may or may not choose to have abortions ourselves, and that is irrelevant to what we believe. We have heard it all before "murderer, infanticide, baby-killers". We have researched viability, termination procedures, late-term abortion, Roe v. Wade, and exactly why the restrictions are in place. We would never assume to tell someone else what is in their best interests, and we would never assume to make a decision affecting someone else's body without educating ourselves extensively.

Can you say the same?
Yes, I can say that I too am very educated on the subject, yet I am intellectually honest enough to be able to defend my position instead of diverting away from a question that might prove me otherwise. I would not say that I'm pro-choice and still support a law that removes such a choice. I would not claim that a woman should be able to do what she wants with her body and then support a Supreme Court decision that removes that choice. I understand your position clearly now, its simply ideological and not consistent.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I have always said that a woman should control her body to prevent pregnancy, she should not lose that control if she becomes pregnant.
There would be so many less abortions if folks (both men and women) controlled their bodies before getting pregnant.

THAT is the point.

Or someone needs to call up all the companies that make each and every type of birth control available on the market....and tell them all that it just isn't working.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,092,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

So, whichever figure you use, worst case scenario ... 1 in 9000, best case scenario 1 in 21,200, and the majority of those cases are perfectly preventable with proper prenatal care, and medically supported delivery. Unlike centeries ago when child birth was definitely dangerous, in the modern developed world, and especially here in the US, giving birth is rather routine, and not considered a serious risk.

Contrast that to the chances of an adult who drives an automobile (average of 50 years) being killed in a car accident which 1 in 100
A 33 year old school teacher in my community just died giving birth to her second child. Bet she didn't think she was gonna die. Bet her doctors didn't think she was gonna die. But she IS DEAD.

Sure sucks if YOU are the ONE that dies.

No one should be FORCED to take that risk AGAINST their will.

When I get in an automobile, I am taking that risk.......VOLUNTARILY.......that is the difference........and it is a big one.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,928,455 times
easy for a man to condemn a woman about an abortion when so many walk away from her when he finds out she's pregnant...and there isn't nearly as much foaming at the mouth from you people as the woman that goes and gets an abortion..
If some dude ever did that to me, I'd have his child aborted out of me so fast and sent in a jar to his house labeled "you forgot this"

Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 PM

18,432 posts, read 19,086,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
But you don't view it as a human life from conception as I do. Do you believe the baby or whatever you choose to call the baby, is a human at the time of conception. You can't say it is a "potential" human life. You either think it is or not. So what is your view?
I believe in the right of all women to control their own reproductive organs. what I believe, my value, my judgment doesn't matter unless it is my pregnancy we are talking about. no ones knows for sure when life begins, is it human? well it isn't a goat so sure it is human.

yes, I can call it a potential life, because that is what it is. a miscarriage is the loss of a potential life as well as an abortion is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies