Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times

Advertisements

Here is the key question you have to ask yourself .......

Are you willing to let people die because they cannot afford treatment, because a treatment is refused by their insurer or because they cannot get health insurance? Are you willing to let someone lay in the street with a broken leg, having been hit by a car, because they do not have insurance and cannot afford to get treated or pay for the ambulance to hospital?

If the answer is "no" then you are in favor of UHC. The question then is how you pay for it and how you manage it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
The real problem is the soaring costs of health care that lie beneath Medicare. They’re costs all of us are bearing in the form of soaring premiums, co-payments, and deductibles. Americans spend more on health care per person than any other advanced nation and get less for our money. Yearly public and private healthcare spending is $7,538 per person. That’s almost two and a half times the average of other advanced nations.
Yet the typical American lives 77.9 years – less than the average 79.4 years in other advanced nations. And we have the highest rate of infant mortality of all advanced nations.
Medical costs are soaring because our health-care system is totally screwed up. Doctors and hospitals have every incentive to spend on unnecessary tests, drugs, and procedures.
You have lower back pain? Almost 95% of such cases are best relieved through physical therapy. But doctors and hospitals routinely do expensive MRI’s, and then refer patients to orthopedic surgeons who often do even more costly surgery. Why? There’s not much money in physical therapy.
Your diabetes, asthma, or heart condition is acting up? If you go to the hospital, 20 percent of the time you’re back there within a month. You wouldn’t be nearly as likely to return if a nurse visited you at home to make sure you were taking your medications. This is common practice in other advanced countries. So why don’t nurses do home visits to Americans with acute conditions? Hospitals aren’t paid for it.
America spends $30 billion a year fixing medical errors – the worst rate among advanced countries. Why? Among other reasons because we keep patient records on computers that can’t share the data. Patient records are continuously re-written on pieces of paper, and then re-entered into different computers. That spells error.
Mr. President: Why Medicare Isn

UHC is the only way out of our health care mess. Our system is set up right now to enrich a few who sit at the top (like most everything in America) and isn't really health "care." Health insurance is a fraud and a racket to rip people off. Even if you have health insurance you can still go bankrupt and lose everything from medical bills.

2,852 posts, read 6,487,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
^^^ this, AND most jobs nowadays DON'T OFFER HEALTH INSURANCE! WHat about the unemployed, who were let go because of downsizing??? Are they supposed to die in the street? NO. We are the ONLY WESTERN COUNTRY WITHOUT SOCIALIZED MEDICINE.
Yep, and that socialized medicine isn't the Utopian Dream you seem to think it is. As I've explained before on these boards...I spent 8 years in the UK, becoming WELL aquainted with the HORRENDOUSLY POOR care received under the NHS. My husband and his entire family were raised with it and they ABHOR it. Not only do they abhor it, they FEAR it.

When you have socialized medicine you are literally putting your life and health into the hands of politicians. My husband's aunt lost her life because under socialized medicine and its inequalities she was not living in the "right" post code to receive life saving cancer treatment. I knew a young woman, only 33 years old, who needlessly lost her life to breast cancer, because 1. she was considered too "young" to have regular checks for breast lumps, and 2. she also lived in the "wrong" area to receive cancer treatment. Her family and friends rallied together and offered to PAY for the treatments and were told that it would NOT be accepted. In the UK the richer/wealthier post code areas receive more health care services and access to life saving treatments than do those who live in poorer post codes.

Do you really think, in the hands of the government, the poor would receive the same quality of care as the rich, through the same socialized system? Think again! Don't dream it, live it. Pack up your bags and go live in the UK for a few years.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I didn't say I wanted everyone to have access to health insurance, I said I wanted everyone to have access to affordable health care which means you pay for what you use or need.
So people are supposed to buy insurance based on what their crystal ball tells them they will, in the future, want or need? Did I think my 14 year old would get cancer? No, it was the farthest thing from my mind when her doctor said she should get her mole removed. Did my other daughter, at age 27, think she would ski into a tree? No, even as a physical therapist, she thought she'd be more likely to break a leg skiing. She said she never gave a thought to skiing into a tree. Thank goodness their health care policies covered these issues we never dreamed of happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I am a far right conservative as well, however I disagree with your stance on healthcare. In my opinion on cannot be free unless they are healthy. I think everyone should be forced to live without healthcare for two years before making an opinion on the necissity of healthcare and freedom.

I also don't think health care should be a "for profit" enterprise. I don't believe in making profits off of people dying.

I support a single-payer, not-for-profit, MANDATORY health care system. And I proudly wave my conservative flag and join Tea Party rallies. And will most likely be voting for Trump.
We need a few more like you out there.

Quote:
Doctors spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and more than a decade in school to master their profession and you think it's morally apprehensive for them to expect to get paid well for that?
I don't think anyone objects to doctors being paid well. You can be non-profit, like Kaiser, and still get paid well. Most people acknowledge the doctors' education and training.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Everyone has the freedom to purchase health insurance, however, not everyone has the freedom to pay for it for many different reasons. One hell of a huge gigantic difference.
And the insurance companies have the freedom to refuse to insure you.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
^^^This

There are always other contributing factors, such as....there are no jobs!
There are tons of jobs out there, the overwhelming majority of the US population is gainfully employed and a large number of the people who are unemployed right now refuse to take available jobs because they don't want to change fields of take lower pay than they're used to.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm pretty conservative as well, I never understood the angst emanating from the Right during the townhalls during the Obamacare debate. You had people who were poor and often had no insurance themselves screaming at the top of theri lungs in opposition.

Why would making sure people have access to health care generate so much scorn?
A little history lesson would show you that "public" healthcare and bringing up the middle class was the "in" to nearly all the evil dictators of the 20th century.

For some reason Obama supporters don't care if it's failed 90% of the time and you couldn't help them understand that those leaders didn't really have everyone else's best interest in mind.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yep, and that socialized medicine isn't the Utopian Dream you seem to think it is. As I've explained before on these boards...I spent 8 years in the UK, becoming WELL aquainted with the HORRENDOUSLY POOR care received under the NHS. My husband and his entire family were raised with it and they ABHOR it. Not only do they abhor it, they FEAR it.

When you have socialized medicine you are literally putting your life and health into the hands of politicians. My husband's aunt lost her life because under socialized medicine and its inequalities she was not living in the "right" post code to receive life saving cancer treatment. I knew a young woman, only 33 years old, who needlessly lost her life to breast cancer, because 1. she was considered too "young" to have regular checks for breast lumps, and 2. she also lived in the "wrong" area to receive cancer treatment. Her family and friends rallied together and offered to PAY for the treatments and were told that it would NOT be accepted. In the UK the richer/wealthier post code areas receive more health care services and access to life saving treatments than do those who live in poorer post codes.

Do you really think, in the hands of the government, the poor would receive the same quality of care as the rich, through the same socialized system? Think again! Don't dream it, live it. Pack up your bags and go live in the UK for a few years.
I don't know if this is true, but I heard that England does have some private healthcare and private insurance available for people who are interested. Maybe I heard wrong.

442 posts, read 553,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Mr. President: Why Medicare Isn

UHC is the only way out of our health care mess. Our system is set up right now to enrich a few who sit at the top (like most everything in America) and isn't really health "care." Health insurance is a fraud and a racket to rip people off. Even if you have health insurance you can still go bankrupt and lose everything from medical bills.

Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

Please, read this thread from a bunch of people that play video games from all over the world. They had a much, much broader outlook on it, from all over the world, with the question: Do you have faith in your healthcare system?

You will be shocked.

Do you have faith in your healthcare system...?...

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Good.
So our health care system is "good" then in your mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies