Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Bush hasn't done anything to undermine Obama's credibility. He doesn't speak ill of any of Obama's policies. He basically has morphed seamlessly into civilian life. He stays out of politics and political decisions, so it wouldn't surprise me that he would stay out of the limelight in this regard. (Still haven't seen any links in this thread though)

While he may not be one of our finest Presidents, he has shown class post Presidency that few other Presidents have matched.

IF what the OP says is true, then I would think the above statement would be the reason. Bush has done NOTHING to undermine Obama let alone make anyone think he hates him and doesnt want to be around him.

I, personally, would like to see them both there. I can understand him not wanting the lime light but I think it would just be so appropriate to have them both there. A nice moment of unity for good. If he did say no, I hope he reconsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
All these comments and no links?
There all over the place now. Here's Politico:

Bush declines NYC invite | POLITICO 44

Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
um .. maybe because no one really wants to be seen with Obama?
Come on. Thats not fair. Given how Bush has been respectful since leaving office, I dont believe that would be the reason. I think a moment like that would be great to see. I have my issues with Obama and even Bush, but theyve both done their part in the war on terror, no matter that each had their own flaws with it and other issues.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Come on. Thats not fair. Given how Bush has been respectful since leaving office, I dont believe that would be the reason.
While Bush has been respectful of Obama, can the same be said in return? I dont know if I'd show up for a photo op with someone who's bad mouthed and lied about my policies for the last few years either..

Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I think it would have been a good idea, too.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Come on. Thats not fair. Given how Bush has been respectful since leaving office, I dont believe that would be the reason. I think a moment like that would be great to see. I have my issues with Obama and even Bush, but theyve both done their part in the war on terror, no matter that each had their own flaws with it and other issues.
I have my issues with the both of them too, but if I were Bush, upon after hearing the B.S. over the past few years about my Presidency, I would be prefering to just remaining retired from it all ..

and ..

Bushs' handlers are not exactly wanting the two to be seen together

Last edited by bigskydude; 05-03-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Bush hasn't done anything to undermine Obama's credibility. He doesn't speak ill of any of Obama's policies. He basically has morphed seamlessly into civilian life. He stays out of politics and political decisions, so it wouldn't surprise me that he would stay out of the limelight in this regard. (Still haven't seen any links in this thread though)

While he may not be one of our finest Presidents, he has shown class post Presidency that few other Presidents have matched.
i am not surprised at all that bush went right out and congratulated obama. bush ranks in the bottom 2, with obama being 1.

bush bailed out the bankers, got us into a ridiculously expensive war and spent like a drunk, distributing foreign aid all over the place. he left our borders unchecked and allowed a massive stream of under-educated workers to drive down wages.

obama did all this also, ADDED failed stimulus, and DEBASED our currency.

those two have reduced the standard of living for us and for our children, and i don't think obama is anywhere near done damaging the economy.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
I can wholeheartedly understand the many reasons for Bush to decline, but I think it would have been very positive for our hyper-politicized country to have these two come together.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

Obama extended an invitation to GWB to join him at Ground Zero Thursday, and there are reports that Bush turned him down.

Here was a FANTASTIC oportunity for the two presidents most directly involved in the hunt for Bin Laden, to stand together at the site of the attack, and put our bitter partisanship aside for a moment, in a gesture of national unity, healing and closure, and to demonstrate to the world that when the chips are down, we stand united.

And Bush turned him down?

Why???
Bush is not going to be used as a political ad for obama.

obama criticized and tried to undo EVERY anti-terror measure that Bush put in place....now he wants to play "nice"?

No thank you.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,049 times
PROBABLY BECAUSE THIS SHOULDN'T BE TURNED INTO SOMETHING POLITICAL. The left is going to try and use this to get Obama reelected and they want Bush to be there to try and have some on the right to gain some sympathy from them. Obama needs to keep doing his job and not worry about making a cameo at Ground Zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies