Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Don't misunderstand me - I don't care what these parents are doing, but what they're doing is disgusting and wrong. Who the hell are they to raise a child differently than normal people? Who the hell are they not to force the correct gender role onto this child? They're going to destroy this kid. How is it suppose to know its gender without being told? In all likelihood this kid is ruined. It'll grow up into some sort of freak - a pedophile, sexual deviant, tranny, homosexual, or God forbid a tomboy or a man with some feminine tastes . The kid never had a chance at a normal life.

Last edited by hammertime33; 05-31-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Whatever their political proclivities, these parents are only trying to do what they think is best for the child. If conservatives were true to their principles, they wouldn't be standing in judgment and calling for the government to intercede.

Nothing in the linked article suggests that they are trying to raise a gender-less child. What they are trying to do is not have society and culture determine for the child what his or her interests are, what his or her talents are, based solely on gender.

I can well remember when I entered kindergarten. Every day, we altered between "work" time and "play" time. Work time was genderless, we all had to learn our ABC's, we all had to sing Old MacDonald, we all had to practice counting. But play time was ALL about gender roles. Girls were given dolls to play with, encouraged to braid one another's hair, to pretend to go shopping at the grocery store. And boys were encouraged to play with trucks, to build things with blocks and erector sets. The only thing that interested me, fascinated me even, was the abacus. There was a giant abacus in the back of the room. I loved it. I loved sliding the beads, making patterns, counting things out on it. But every time I went to it, the teacher would come over, take me by the hand, hand me a doll and make me sit with the other girls. Something I had no interest in. I hated it. And so the teacher wrote notes home about the "problem".

This is the kind of thing the parents are reacting to. It's not a problem if your little girl isn't interested in dolls. It's not a problem if your little boy is into bling. It's not a problem if she's a tomboy, or if he has a favorite doll. Some of the people posting on this thread make it into a problem because they are rigidly insistent about gender roles. This couple is fostering an environment where such rigidity is absent. It's not about creating a gender-less child. It's about letting a child fully explore his or her own individuality before the teacher starts forcing a child to play with what the teacher thinks is appropriate.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Really not seeing the issue with this.

Social norms, more often than not, are idiotic anyways.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
In 20 years this kid will be one of those "It puts the lotion on the skin" kinda guys, if you know what I mean.
Whats sickening is all these idiots(libbies) wanting to make a social experiment out of everything.
It seems they're miserable in their own lives so they have to try to screw everybody else up.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
In 20 years this kid will be one of those "It puts the lotion on the skin" kinda guys, if you know what I mean.
Whats sickening is all these idiots(libbies) wanting to make a social experiment out of everything.
It seems they're miserable in their own lives so they have to try to screw everybody else up.
Hate much?

Let me get this straight. Because these people have different values from you (they don't believe in forcing people into cookie-cutter gender roles), they are going to raise a transsexual sociopathic rapist and murderer?

Right-wing, authoritarian, conformity thinking at its finest.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Whatever their political proclivities, these parents are only trying to do what they think is best for the child. If conservatives were true to their principles, they wouldn't be standing in judgment and calling for the government to intercede.

Nothing in the linked article suggests that they are trying to raise a gender-less child. What they are trying to do is not have society and culture determine for the child what his or her interests are, what his or her talents are, based solely on gender.

I can well remember when I entered kindergarten. Every day, we altered between "work" time and "play" time. Work time was genderless, we all had to learn our ABC's, we all had to sing Old MacDonald, we all had to practice counting. But play time was ALL about gender roles. Girls were given dolls to play with, encouraged to braid one another's hair, to pretend to go shopping at the grocery store. And boys were encouraged to play with trucks, to build things with blocks and erector sets. The only thing that interested me, fascinated me even, was the abacus. There was a giant abacus in the back of the room. I loved it. I loved sliding the beads, making patterns, counting things out on it. But every time I went to it, the teacher would come over, take me by the hand, hand me a doll and make me sit with the other girls. Something I had no interest in. I hated it. And so the teacher wrote notes home about the "problem".

This is the kind of thing the parents are reacting to. It's not a problem if your little girl isn't interested in dolls. It's not a problem if your little boy is into bling. It's not a problem if she's a tomboy, or if he has a favorite doll. Some of the people posting on this thread make it into a problem because they are rigidly insistent about gender roles. This couple is fostering an environment where such rigidity is absent. It's not about creating a gender-less child. It's about letting a child fully explore his or her own individuality before the teacher starts forcing a child to play with what the teacher thinks is appropriate.
Great post! Maybe some of these sexists will read it and THINK about it....

Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Isn’t it the truth, some people seem so mentally confused they just don't know who or what they are and then they use their kids as experiments.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
So I guess we are all cool with parents passing down massive amount of wealth to their kids now without all kinds of "social justice, fair" taxes or whatever because parents can raise and that include giving whatever they want to their kids ...right?

You people are ok with genderless babies so I guess you are ok with trust fund babies now right?
What!!!????

HOW do you get to "trust fund babies" from the OP???

Do you know what thread you're in???

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Isn’t it the truth, some people seem so mentally confused they just don't know who or what they are and then they use their kids as experiments.
Either that or they (rather correctly) believe that gender roles are outdated and that their child should grow up to be whatever they want to be.

They're not going to force the kid either way, it's the kid's decision.

It truly fail to see what's wrong with this.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
that's the thing that seems to be lost on liberals....is this "experiment" even safe and healthy for the child?...the seem to be willing to endanger and risk all kinds of future problems for their child in their quest for this "progressive place" in the future....

but I guess the ends justify the means...
The only reason this child's upbringing may be problematic is because of people like you and the OP who seem to be so insistent that each gender fit a certain stereotype. I'm a male and happen to have no interest in sports. Not surprisingly, I take some flak over this from my friends and coworkers. Why? I have no idea. There's no logical reason to pester someone simply because he/she isn't exactly like the majority. So if this child has problems someday, it will almost certainly not be due to the liberals who say, "Let the child be him/herself" and will instead likely be due to others who say, "This child doesn't fit my image of what a boy/girl should be! Therefore he/she should be taken away from the parents!" And, I should add, people like you are proving the parents' whole point, which is that it's wrong to expect someone to fit a certain mold simply based solely on gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies