Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
That is the problem with America. You are either rich and live in luxury or poor and live in squalor. There is hardly any middle ground... the middle class is fast disappearing. Countries like Canada and Germany seem to have strike the right balance. There is no need bragging about the number of billionaires or Fortune 500 corporations we have in America when a large number of people are going to to their beds hungry every night. I agree that more egalitarian societies work best in the long run.
Sounds like I live in a different America.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
I have very good friends who live in Canada, now i have lost touch with them. But when i was talking with them, they feel their health system sucks big time. Can't for sure say where they lived because honestly i am not sure. They said they did have different nationalities who lived in Canada. They said it was getting expensive, and things were changing there, but of course this was 2 years ago.

To eaches own, we all think we live in the best or worse State, the best Country when in all actuality, we can find good and bad in all 50 Sates, and good and bad in most Countries.

But honestly they were at that time getting ready to make a move back East, they were not that happy living in Canada. They felft things were changing there, how they meant i don't know cause i did not ask them nor did i care. You seem unhappy with living in the U.S. why not yourself make a move to Canada, then after living there, then judge at that time.

Oh you say they have no crime, think again, yes they do. Maybe we don't hear much about it, but yes they do, my friends even told me they did.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Sounds like I live in a different America.
Me, too...where I am, there is a strong and thriving middle class.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM

326 posts, read 872,202 times
Okay, I've constructed my final version of the United States of Canada. Here are the vital stats:

States: ID, MA, ME, MN, MT, ND, NE, NH, OR, SD, VT, WI, WY
Population: ~33.7 million
Murder rate: 2.18 per 100k
Unemployment rate: 7.18%
Life expectancy: 79.3 years
% white: 88.1%
% black: 3.7%
% asian: 2.7%
% native american: 1.2%
Healthcare cost as % of GDP: ~12.5%
Healthcare spending per capita: ~$5582
GDP: $1.65 trillion
Major league franchises: 12

And here's Canada:

Provinces: BC, MB, NB, NL, NT, NS, NU, ON, PE, QC, SK, YT
Population: ~33.7 million
Murder rate: 1.9 per 100k
Unemployment rate: 7.6%
Life expectancy: 81.2 years
% white: 83.5%
% black: 2.3%
% asian: 10.5%
% native american: 2.7%
Healthcare cost as % of GDP: ~9.4%
Healthcare spending per capita: ~$3400
GDP: $1.34 trillion
Major league franchises: 8

Key differences: health costs are lower in Canada and Canada has more Asians. The former has been discussed at length on this forum. The latter is probably attributable to a) saner immigration policies in Canada and b) the high concentration of Asians in other parts of the U.S.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Your first list sounds like a seceded Aryan nation

Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Notice how many conservatives have no tolerance for disagreement from liberals. If liberals want to change something about the U.S., they shout, "Then leave!" Yet they certainly are willing to protest and scream about their own dissatisfaction with the current administration.

There's no need for anyone to leave unless they want to. Our system is set up so that everyone has an opportunity to voice their opinions and work toward making changes that they believe are important. Instead of shouting, "Leave!", I think a more mature response would be, "Interesting. And so what are you doing to make those changes in the U.S."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Dear lovers of Canada, Norway, Australia, Sweden, etc... if you so strongly dislike the United States and think all of these other countries are better, why don't you just MOVE to these countries you're so deeply in love with? Okay? Our country would be A LOT better off without you haters. Thank you.

Sincerely, 90sman.
Ah, the intolerance!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.
Just in time.
Hate crimes on the rise in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 PM

50,323 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Well, if you like blood sucking arctic flies, blizzards and temps below zero for months at a time then Canada is awesome.

I love Canada, for a vacation in the spring or fall.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
For the Canada lovers. Answer just one simple question:

Why is it, there are so many Canadian's living in the United States? They are lined up at the immigration offices. You don't have American's lined up at the Canadian Immigration offices.

So, if Canada is so great, why are there so many Canadian's living and working here?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
For the Canada lovers. Answer just one simple question:

Why is it, there are so many Canadian's living in the United States? They are lined up at the immigration offices. You don't have American's lined up at the Canadian Immigration offices.

So, if Canada is so great, why are there so many Canadian's living and working here?
http://go.grolier.com/map?id=mtlr036&pid=go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies