Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.
Enjoy the freedom of speech you enjoy here, before you go to the great white north, because you can be sued for calling people a "teabagger" in Canada. And don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 AM

158 posts, read 134,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Enjoy the freedom of speech you enjoy here, before you go to the great white north, because you can be sued for calling people a "teabagger" in Canada. And don't let the door hit you on your way out.
I live in Canada and there's no such thing as what you just said. Further, it's a tad hypocritical of you to say this as it's well known the USA is the land of lawsuits.

And I really can't understand the freedom people claim to have in the USA when you can killed for a crime and where money can buy your way out of a lawsuit.

EDIT: And, IMO, I'd trade a bit of your so-called freedom of speech (totally overrated anyway) for a better job outlook, quality of living, social equality, cleaner environment, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Why are people that only want to live a decent low stress life so disparaged by "conservative" America?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
35 million people vs 311 million +.

Canada population is at 35 mill only becaue of an open imigration policy.

In the US, a hair under 1/3 of the Canadian population is made up of illegal immigrants.

Canada better? Free choice says otherwise.

Immigrating to Canada is like going to a junior college before transferring to a name school. Folks leap frog from Canada to the US when they can't get permission to go directly to the US.

Canadians than God the US medical services are right across the border.

Canadian medical studies are categorically considered a joke.

Thanks for all the shale oil though.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
Okay, I've constructed my final version of the United States of Canada. Here are the vital stats:

States: ID, MA, ME, MN, MT, ND, NE, NH, OR, SD, VT, WI, WY
Population: ~33.7 million
Murder rate: 2.18 per 100k
Unemployment rate: 7.18%
Life expectancy: 79.3 years
% white: 88.1%
% black: 3.7%
% asian: 2.7%
% native american: 1.2%
Healthcare cost as % of GDP: ~12.5%
Healthcare spending per capita: ~$5582
GDP: $1.65 trillion
Major league franchises: 12

And here's Canada:

Provinces: BC, MB, NB, NL, NT, NS, NU, ON, PE, QC, SK, YT
Population: ~33.7 million
Murder rate: 1.9 per 100k
Unemployment rate: 7.6%
Life expectancy: 81.2 years
% white: 83.5%
% black: 2.3%
% asian: 10.5%
% native american: 2.7%
Healthcare cost as % of GDP: ~9.4%
Healthcare spending per capita: ~$3400
GDP: $1.34 trillion
Major league franchises: 8

Key differences: health costs are lower in Canada and Canada has more Asians. The former has been discussed at length on this forum. The latter is probably attributable to a) saner immigration policies in Canada and b) the high concentration of Asians in other parts of the U.S.

So essentially, there are places you can live in the US that would mimmick a Canadian existence/demographics/climate, etc.... demonstrating the uselessness of these types of threads.

I am mostly liberal on most things, but I can recognize the USA has challenges and features that are not interchangeable with Canada... we have 10X the people, vastly different demographics and unparalleled diversity of people, religion and politics. If you can't take living in the center of it all, and all the craziness and turmoil that comes with it, then by all means find your paradise elsewhere.

As a New Yorker, you too should understand why some people will never leave Manhattan, while others move to Long Island or Vermont when they can't take it anymore.

Does Canada have some things right that the US should look at? Of course. But please, let's use some common sense from hereon when "comparing" countries. We don't think it's valid to compare Vermont with California, nor should we compare the US and places with homogenous or vastly smaller populations or places with more resources than people.

Last edited by TriMT7; 07-08-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why are people that only want to live a decent low stress life so disparaged by "conservative" America?
Because "low stress life" are simply code words for "live on other people's backs." In other words - these people don't want to produce enough to pay their way in life. They want the government, and the taxpayers that fund it, to allow them to live a nicer life than they are willing to earn on their own.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Nor do they allow mortgage deductions on income taxes, and they do not have so many government programs designed to encourage homeownership like the US does. Yet Canada has either the world's highest rate of homeownership or the 2nd highest (the US' is considerably lower)
Well, no. Canada is #14 and the US #13, though the difference is negligible.

List of countries by home ownership rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Aren't there plans to fuse the two countries anyway?
already done and signed
Beyond the Border: a shared vision for perimeter security and economic competitiveness (http://www.borderactionplan-plandactionfrontalier.gc.ca/psec-scep/declaration-declaration.aspx?lang=eng - broken link)
Canada and the United States are staunch allies, vital economic partners, and steadfast friends. We share common values, deep links among our citizens, and deeply rooted ties. The extensive mobility of people, goods, capital, and information between our two countries has helped ensure that our societies remain open, democratic, and prosperous.

To preserve and extend the benefits our close relationship has helped bring to Canadians and Americans alike, we intend to pursue a perimeter approach to security, working together within, at, and away from the borders of our two countries to enhance our security and accelerate the legitimate flow of people, goods, and services between our two countries. We intend to do so in partnership, and in ways that support economic competitiveness, job creation, and prosperity.

source http://www.borderactionplan-plandactionfrontalier.gc.ca/psec-scep/declaration-declaration.aspx?lang=eng (broken link)

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.
The seem to possess a higher capacity for empathy for starters.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Perhaps because some conservatives feel the same way, and see progressives disparaging them as stupid, bigoted, and lacking in diversity.

The sad part is that nearly every generality that the two sides of the divide hurl at each other is largely false.

We all could live together in peace tomorrow if folks would just turn down the heat a little.

But too many people make their living fomenting hate. It's a damn shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies