Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times

Advertisements

I personally know people who have come to the US from the UK and Canada to receive health care. Perhaps they can tell you why they had to do so.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.
because their neighbors to the south are not illegally invading them. Because they do not offer freebies to illegal immigrants

Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
As they say, politics matters. Much - not all by any means, but much - of what is superior about Canada not just in comparison to the United States but worldwide can, in my opinion, be traced to a better form of government and political tradition: parliamentary democracy presided over by constitutional monarchy.

It is no accident that this formula also describes most of the nations which routinely are included in the OECD top-ten league table: as of 2012, eight of the ten are parliamentary democracies headed by constitutional monarchies (Luxembourg, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Australia). It is, simply put, the best formula for man's political organization yet to be discovered.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM

510 posts, read 889,350 times
From some of the stats I viewed, Canada has a higher crime rate than the US. More drug offenses and assaults/rapes.
But the grass is always greener.....

Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
rotflmao

Most canadians are as conservative if not more conservative than your "Teabaggers".
Not sure what you are smoking but our conservative party is probably on par with Obama and the Democratic Party. We don't even come close to the Republican Party in terms of conservative ideology let alone the Tea Party.

Quote:
Their healthcare consists of sending much of the business south of the border.. (How many Canadian women were sent to American hospitals to give birth cause of no room in canadian hospitals last year?)
Really? I have heard of maybe 1 case in the past year where a maternity patient had to be sent south of the border and that was because it was a border city and the next closest hospital that had the specialized care the expectant needed was just across a bridge. Rather than fly her to another medical centre, they chose the closest option.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Not sure what you are smoking but our conservative party is probably on par with Obama and the Democratic Party. We don't even come close to the Republican Party in terms of conservative ideology let alone the Tea Party.

Really? I have heard of maybe 1 case in the past year where a maternity patient had to be sent south of the border and that was because it was a border city and the next closest hospital that had the specialized care the expectant needed was just across a bridge. Rather than fly her to another medical centre, they chose the closest option.
AND her Canadian Provincial Heallth Care paid for it!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.

I think that it's because they don't have the religious right wing nutjobs like we have here in this country. The South retards any real progress that the US can make. Canada also only takes care of "itself", not the rest of the world in the way that the United States does. The exploitation of resources and defense of the capitalist societies is left to mostly the United States with token help from the allied countries. Canada never had the history of slavery and crude race relations that the US has had. those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that it's because they don't have the religious right wing nutjobs like we have here in this country. The South retards any real progress that the US can make. Canada also only takes care of "itself", not the rest of the world in the way that the United States does. The exploitation of resources and defense of the capitalist societies is left to mostly the United States with token help from the allied countries. Canada never had the history of slavery and crude race relations that the US has had. those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Uuuuh; Canada's foreign aid hovers at just under the .4% of it's economy and will shrink to .26% by 2014 but that's hardly small potatoes if one considers this chart:

Government Spending Chart: United States 1950-2016 - Federal State Local Data

Your foreign aid has dropped from it's 1952 high of over 2.5% GDP to less than .3% today.

Both of those figures exclude any military spending to assist foreign countries but Canada's involvement in Afghanistan and Libya weren't insignificant by any means for a country of less than one tenth the U.S.'s population.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:

While your moving take all your friends and their friends with you. If we can get a majority of the social program leeches to move we can get out of crushing debt quicker. Please pass this on to all your liberal friends.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:

plus they are choosy,, they don't let every tom, dick and taco immigrate..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies